Author Topic: General degreaser  (Read 2031 times)

General degreaser
« on: 12 January, 2020, 08:40:22 pm »
I've got a Park tool chain cleaner but I've noticed that even with cheap washing up liquid or Muc-Off neither seem to be able to get rid of road grime effectively. Having recently cleaned my chain I found the rollers in the Park Tool chain cleaner laden with grease/grime that only seemed to come off when I stuck my fingers into the rollers. I would have thought a degreaser like washing up liquid/Muc Off would have desolved the grime but unfortunately no. All that seems to be happening is the crap is being partially moved from the chain to the chain cleaner's brushes.
So can anyone recommend a solution which will tackle the grime that's built up over a period of weeks by breaking it down and therefore allowing it to be removed easily with a little physical agitation. I'm aware this will probably need something very unkind to skin and possibly paintwork if left too long on the bike.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: General degreaser
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2020, 09:07:12 pm »
Take the chain off. Put it in an old milk bottle. Add a horrible chemical. Put the lid on. Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

It's called the 'sheldon shake', there's nothing better. I've not used the scrubber for nigh on a year.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2020, 09:17:18 pm »
I'm working my way through a bottle of this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

Warm water into bucket > splash of degreaser into warm water > chain into bucket and leave it to soak for a bit, safety glasses on if I feel inclined to give it a bit of a slop around.

I dare say you could treat your chain scrubber in a similar manner.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »
Washing-up liquid won't even degrease the tins in which I roast my chickens! I use a kitchen all-purpose cleaner for this and friends have used this on bike chains.

White spirit is the horrible chemical I might use if I were scorning anything water-based.

You will need to lubricate thoroughly afterwards.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2020, 09:39:37 pm »
Finish Line Citrus Degreaser.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »
Sheldon shake with white spirit is my preferred approach for chains.  I leave the dirty solvent in a jar, and the crud sediments out over a week or two, so you can re-use it.

For general cleaning I either use a squirt of GT85 on a cloth (jockey wheels and such) or car shampoo and elbow grease.

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:12:32 pm »
Yes I've used white spirits before but I'd rather not have to take the chain off apart from maybe when I do the biannual deep clean. And when I next do I'll give the Sheldon Shake with a citrus degreaser or Screwfix degreaser a go for sure. Thanks for the tips :)

PS Currently I oil my chain by applying a rag dampened with oil and run the chain through it. This stops excesses and also helps to clean some of the crud off. Looking at the Fenwick video they've done something similar with a sponge but for the cleaning.

I've posted in other forums and the screwfix degreaser seems to have fans!!

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2020, 05:51:47 am »
Morgan Blue  Chain cleaner seems excellent

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2020, 07:09:25 am »
+1 for Morgan Blue.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2020, 08:39:11 am »
+1 for Screwfix degreaser. One of my Triumph motorcycles has a big tube as part of the frame, and this is the oil tank.  To get it clean whilst doing a complete re-furb, I tried the Screwfix stuff.  Brilliant.  That tank has had oil in it for nearly 50 years, now it's got flash rust!

IIRC it was £7.99 for 5 litres.

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2020, 01:24:11 pm »
Be careful with degreasers.

Virosol, Screwfix need to be used diluted 1:1. Otherwise it will strip anodizing.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2020, 01:34:37 pm »
My dad used to have a jug of helicopter kerosene, which was liberated from the lighthouses as they all turned automated in the 90s. If anyone wants some Trinity House chalk do let me know...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2020, 08:49:30 pm »
Be careful with degreasers.

Virosol, Screwfix need to be used diluted 1:1. Otherwise it will strip anodizing.

The directions on the Screwfix degreaser say to use 1 capful per litre of warm water, and that's plenty pokey enough!

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2020, 11:33:27 pm »
I don't use any degreaser; at this time of the year with wet salty roads I take the chain off several times a week, I lie it on top of a drain and give it a good blast with the garden hose, it then gets dropped into an open top plastic container and left on the radio to thoroughly dry over night.  Pop it back on the bike next day, drop of engine oil on each roller and its good to go.  I get as good a mileage in the winter as I do in the summer. 

Its on the radiator now so I'll get some pics and see how clean it looks.

not as clean as I thought it might look (cameras pick up too much detail)  But in fairness this chain has done about 1200 mile since 22nd Nov on wet dirty salty roads, about 0.75% wear - not bad for a £3.99 chain  that is cleaned with nothing more than a hose pipe.