Author Topic: Bouncy fork advice for lightweight please  (Read 2198 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Bouncy fork advice for lightweight please
« on: 07 August, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
My son Lewis (12 years old), Mrs Chris and I hired some mountain bikes last weekend and hit the trails around Drumlanrig Castle. We had a great time, and Lewis would like to do more mountain biking. I need to sort him out a suitable bike as he currently has a road bike, and I think that I would like to fit some bouncy forks to an old (1995 ish) steel rigid Marin Bolinas Ridge that Mrs Chris used to ride.

I have a few questions -

How much travel will he need for general use? Lewis is very lightly built, and currently weighs in at around 5 stone.

The bike was sold to us as 'suspension ready', and there is a large gap between the top of the front tyre and the bottom of the fork crown. How do I make sure that the new forks will not upset the handling of the bike? Is there a standard way of measuring the bike to determine what size/type of fork will be needed?

Can anyone recommend a decent budget fork that would do the job?

Thanks

Chris

Re: Bouncy fork advice for lightweight please
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »
A 1995 bike will probably onto take a very short travel fork; 60-80mm would probably have been normal in the mid-90s. That will limit your choice somewhat if buying new.

Is it a 1.1/8" steerer? If not, then you'll really struggle to find anything that will fit.

Forks should (and most do) have a quoted 'axle-crown length'. This, not surprisingly, is the distance between the fork's crown race and the centre line of the axle when the fork is uncompressed. Ideally, you are looking for a suspension fork that is slightly longer than this dimension on your rigid forks, so that the length is similar when the fork sags under the rider's weight. Having said that, a mid 1995 bike is likely to have a steep head angle compared to current models (71 degrees versus 68-69, say), so while a longer fork will make the steering 'slower', it may not be disasterous - especially if combined with a shorter stem.

Since your lad is light, an air-sprung fork might be a good idea as these are more adjustable than coil forks. Softer springs are available for most coil-sprung forks, but tend to cost ~£30, even for budget models.

Recommendations: Currently, the budget Rock Shox forks are good value. These are probably amongst the best you'll find for that vintage of frame, but might be a bit over-sprung for a 5 stone rider.

You might also consider second hand. If I was doing the same, I'd be inclined to watch Ebay for some late '90s Marzocchis. I have some old Z5s on MrsO's bike which have done good service over 10 years or so (5 or 6 on my bikes, working hard). If the stantions are OK then these can be made like new with replacement bushings and seals - and the seals are good so the bushes rarely need doing. They're also simple (little to go wrong) and air-sprung. Unfortunately, they don't come up very often...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2009, 10:05:02 pm »
Thanks Phil. It is a 1.1/8 steerer, so non problems there. I'll probably go for some Dart 2s.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
I would still say that anything is going to be oversprung for a 5 stone rider.

What has been done in the past is to take a basic coil\elastometer fork and remove the spring\elastometer stack from one leg.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:45:48 pm »
I would still say that anything is going to be oversprung for a 5 stone rider.

Possibly, but Lewis found the forks on the hire bike were more forgiving than the rigid forks that are currently on the Marin.

What has been done in the past is to take a basic coil\elastometer fork and remove the spring\elastometer stack from one leg.

Thanks for the tip.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2009, 08:34:04 pm »
Just managed to get a brand new pair of Rockshox Dart 2s on ebay for £41 compared to £75 on-line. Hope to get Lewis' bike sorted by next weekend.