Author Topic: The Most Ridiculous Complaints Received by Organisers  (Read 21097 times)

The Most Ridiculous Complaints Received by Organisers
« on: 20 July, 2010, 10:52:47 am »
Are you an organiser? Are you an audaxer that has heard of silly complaints?

Most of us are aware that is a cohort of misery guts that will make the most ridiculous complaints made to organisers.  Here are my top four stories gathered from other organisers and are written in synopsis form:

1. THE TOO LONG PERMANENT

BACKGROUND - The complainant enters a 200km event with AAA points and has a good record of riding events.
THE COMPLAINT - The ride was too long and too hilly.  What was the organiser thinking of when proposing such a route.  It was "irresponsible".
THE ORGANISER'S RESPONSE - 'I am dreadfully sorry to hear that the route was too long but how do you propose that 200km event is made shorter? If you wanted a flatter route, could you not ride around the hills?".

2.  DROPPED BY HIS MATES

BACKGROUND - The complainant, an experienced audaxer, is riding with a group club mates.  He makes a toilet stop but his friends continue without out stopping.
THE COMPLAINT - The organiser was irresponsible for letting the incident occurring and should stop such poor behaviour.  Clearly, the riders concerned were out to race and had no due regard to camaraderie and I was having to hang onto their rear.
THE ORGANISER'S RESPONSE - Audaxes are events that require self reliance. It is not the responsibility of the organiser to police the route.  No riders arrived at any of the controls earlier than the opening time.  Surely you should not complain about your friend's speed  but instead admire their athleticism.  Complainant then apologises.

3. THE VEGAN WITH A WHEAT ALLERGY.

BACKGROUND -   At a minimalist audax event, the organisers provide a few digestives and fruit at the finish.
THE COMPLAINT - I am vegan with a wheat allergy that does not like eating fruit after a long rider.  It is totally irresponsible of the organiser not to consider the needs of others.  You should consider the special needs of people like me!   You totally spoilt my day.
THE ORGANISER'S RESPONSE - Sorry to hear that you have 'special needs'.  I clearly recognise that to be the case!  

4. FAILURE TO PROVIDE BACK-UP

BACKGROUND - An experienced audaxer suffers a bike failure half way around a randonee. The organiser offers the assistance from a nearby controller to return the rider back to HQ.
THE COMPLAINT - I had to wait one and a half hours for a rescue before I gave up and caught a train home from a nearby station. How dare you leave me abandoned!
THE ORGANISER'S RESPONSE - I explained that you would have to wait until my controller had finished at her control point.  She then spent 2 hours driving around the lanes attempting to find you.  If you were located near to the station, why did you not catch a train in the first place?  It is an audaxer's responsibility to ensure the completion of their own journey in any case.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Re: The Most Ridiculous Complaints Received by Organisers
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
You do get odd complaints from tired and emotional riders at the finish. My favourite response is from a veteran organiser of Wessex events: silence and a wry smile.

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:54:02 am »
Wish I could show that sort of restraint. If someone was being seriously obnoxious, i'd most likely offer them out.

:thumbsup:
London's burning with boredom now

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:55:46 am »
Anyone who complains after an audax needs their head examining.  I mean, why complain at the time when you can instead bring your moans and groans to an internet cycling forum and get the answers you deserve. ;)

BTW I've always been concerned about the lack of steak dinners and wine at the arrive - anyone else have any improvement suggestions?

Owner of a languishing Langster

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:59:15 am »
Anyone who complains after an audax needs their head examining.  I mean, why complain at the time when you can instead bring your moans and groans to an internet cycling forum and get the answers you deserve. ;)

BTW I've always been concerned about the lack of steak dinners and wine at the arrive - anyone else have any improvement suggestions?

Audax in France, where they will cater to your steak & vino requirements.  HTH.  :)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:20:42 pm »
Anyone who complains after an audax needs their head examining.  I mean, why complain at the time when you can instead bring your moans and groans to an internet cycling forum and get the answers you deserve. ;)

Audax in France, where they will cater to your steak & vino requirements.  HTH.  :)

That's certainly part of my 2011 plans. Although I suspect eating steak will be the last thing on my mind!
Owner of a languishing Langster

DanialW

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
The most common complaint I hear is about events/facilities/catering costing too much.

I once got a snide email from a rider asking if the Midlander 300, costing £8 to enter, had a typo in the price.

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »
The most common complaint I hear is about events/facilities/catering costing too much.

I once got a snide email from a rider asking if the Midlander 300, costing £8 to enter, had a typo in the price.

"Yes, thanks for pointing that out, it should of course be £80.00."

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

You could do a RyanAir kind of pricing model:

* £2 for entry (50p Brevet Card validation fee refund for a DNS or DNF)
* £1 for being able to sit in the hall before the ride (otherwise they collect their Brevet card at the door)
* £2 for food before the ride.
* £1 for using the toilet in the hall before the ride.
* £1 for being able to sit in the hall after the ride (or collect Brevet cards by the door)
* £2 for food after the ride
* £1 for using the toilet in the hall after the ride.

Premium entry, with all of the above, is the usual £8. ;)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »
* £2 Baggage handling charge (riders with saddle bags)
* £2 Fine weather charge (subject to availability)
* £1 Use of track pump
* £1 Bottle filling
* £2 Carbon (frame) charge

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:56:25 pm »

You could do a RyanAir kind of pricing model:

what about the other Ryanair ideas?

* baggage fee; handlebar baggage free, thereafter £15 per kilo, after all the more baggage the longer the rider will take and use up that expensive hall hire

* speedy carding, for an extra £8 you will be allowed to pick up your card first enabling you to get into the fast bunch sooner

* credit card non-fee, anyone who sends in a postal entry pays a premium for shoe leather to the postbox / bank

* ride together, an extra £2 per person if you want your brevet cards together on the table rather than the default AUK alphabetical system

* £70 extra if you really insist on bringing a bicycle to the event

* £1 extra to have the infos on a scratch card with a prize for the most correct answers

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »
* speedy carding, for an extra £8 you will be allowed to pick up your card first enabling you to get into the fast bunch sooner
Genius - this would even get the buggers to turn up on time!

And of course:
* £2  routesheet (the route is advisory, after all)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:02:06 pm »
I am not sure that Danial would appreciate the Ryan Air analogy.  As Danial is the AUK Events Secretary would that make him the Michael O'Leary of the Audax world?
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:06:38 pm »
I am not sure that Danial would appreciate the Ryan Air analogy.  As Danial is the AUK Events Secretary would that make him the Michael O'Leary of the Audax world?
I think you've got the hierarchy wrong:

O'Leary would be running events, extracting "maximum revenue" from his customer base.
AUK are more like the CAA, imposing crazy restrictive regulations on the down-trodden organisers and riders who just want to get from A-to-B at a time convenient to them.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
£10 more to have the event in the town shown in the calendar rather than 70km away?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »
Anyone who complains after an audax needs their head examining.  I mean, why complain at the time when you can instead bring your moans and groans to an internet cycling forum and get the answers you deserve. ;)

I suggest you do either The Potter For Tea or The Snow Roads.
Steak bridies & a bar were available.A gastronomic delight at the end of a super ride due to 11 outoften 10 organizing

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:09:32 pm »
£10 more to have the event in the town shown in the calendar rather than 70km away?

Oooh, a little bit of topical* satire from the Sussex region , there ...

*Well ok, 2009 wasn't it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:10:20 pm »
Even though it's only £8 to enter, there should be at least another £25 in taxes.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »

Oooh, a little bit of topical* satire from the Sussex region , there ...

*Well ok, 2009 wasn't it?

not really; just a reference to the fact that when Ryanair say Dusseldorf they mean Weeze; Nykoping rather than Stockholm, Grenoble rather than Lyon etc etc

(although London Manchester probably takes the biscuit, can't remeber which airline that was)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »

Compared to the cost of a pack of fags or a couple of pints it's actually a steal & far more healthy.

AndyH

« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »
Compared to the cost of a pack of fags or a couple of pints it's actually a steal & far more healthy.

Or a sportive ............

« Reply #21 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:34:44 pm »
I want to know why we don't get a pair of nice young ladies to stand each side of us and kiss us as we hand in the card at the arrivee.

« Reply #22 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »
I want to know why we don't get a pair of nice young ladies to stand each side of us and kiss us as we hand in the card at the arrivee.

The nearest alternative in audax is a beardie bloke that smells faintly of pipe smoke.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »

or a cuddly auk soft toy?

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »

Would that be called a nypho control?

IGMC