Author Topic: Your top five weirdest films  (Read 14942 times)

Chris S

Re: Your top five weirdest films
« Reply #75 on: 16 July, 2008, 06:06:25 pm »
I might have added The Wall to my list. Very odd.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #76 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:02:40 pm »
Is anyone else watching the Norwegian film that's on BBC4 now - The Bothersome Man? Now, this is weird. The last ten minutes was just the protaganist being run over by subway trains again and again and again... it is all very woozy and deadpan but really quite messed up.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #77 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:05:33 pm »
1. Eraserhead
2. Eraserhead
3. Eraserhead
4. Eraserhead
5. Eraserhead

seconded, thirded, forthed and fifthed.

No-one has seen weird until they've seen Eraserhead.

Tiger

« Reply #78 on: 17 July, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Cube.

Cube has given me disturbing dreams for the last 10 years. It is mind poison of the highest order and shoudl not be watched after a spliff.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #79 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:24:09 pm »
Cube's just your standard 'trapped in a maze' story, isn't it?  Good though...

You're probably right about the drugs though - I saw Jacob's Ladder on speed once. That was really not wise.

« Reply #80 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:28:54 pm »

You're probably right about the drugs though - I saw Jacob's Ladder on speed once. That was really not wise.

Never really done the whole drugs and films thing* :P  Am I missing out?  Are there any must see/take combinations I've missed out on?

*I did get mildly stoned once and watched Cool Runnings ;D

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #81 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:46:05 pm »
THX1138 doesn't seem to have been mentioned, which is pretty remiss for a forum full of Star Wars geeks.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

bikenerd

« Reply #82 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:51:07 pm »
THX1138 doesn't seem to have been mentioned, which is pretty remiss for a forum full of Star Wars geeks.
I was going to mention it (and I don't even like Star Wars!) but I don't think it's any weirder than Logan's Run, is it?

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #83 on: 17 July, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »
No, but then there's a whole load of stuff in the list that I don't think is at all weird...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Tiger

« Reply #84 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:48:08 pm »
In the late 70's there was a French film called (I think) La Grande Bouffe that I saw several times. In it three posh French gourmands and a rent a house and prostitute and eat themselves to death on gourmet food and drink. Brilliant.  They used apple sorbet spooned gently down by the tart to finish themselves off.

Tiger

« Reply #85 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:58:03 pm »
Anyone seen Salo? I can't recommend it; as well as being weird it is deeply disturbing.
Yes I saw it in 77 in Old Compton St. It was truly disgusting and got banned I recall soon after.  The coporophilia with glass was gross. As was the childs bottom inspection/selection. 
Interesting that thirty years on similar stuff is being done by the chapman Bros and sells for millions as art.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #86 on: 20 July, 2008, 12:56:22 pm »
You are wall wrong !! All the films you are listing here are brilliant :) There is a few that I haven't seen, I'm off to see if I can find them, thanks for the heads up.

In the late 70's there was a French film called (I think) La Grande Bouffe that I saw several times.
I think you got the title right and yes it is a top movie :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #87 on: 20 July, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »
I don't think being weird is incompatible with being brilliant, in my opinion many of the films listed are both. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #88 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:48:48 pm »
Hmm, watched 3-iron a couple of nights ago, distinctly odd. Also Korean. They make some interesting films.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #89 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »

Never really done the whole drugs and films thing* :P  Am I missing out?  Are there any must see/take combinations I've missed out on?

*I did get mildly stoned once and watched Cool Runnings ;D
LSD and 2001 was pretty much de rigour in the 70s.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #90 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:53:31 pm »
And of course Withnail & I with copious quantities of alcohol....
Getting there...

« Reply #91 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »
I don't think being weird is incompatible with being brilliant, in my opinion many of the films listed are both. :thumbsup:

Yes. My lists didn't include what I thought was rubbish.

Just remembered the original Hairspray.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #92 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:33:50 pm »
Hmm, watched 3-iron a couple of nights ago, distinctly odd. Also Korean. They make some interesting films.

From one of my favourite directors Kim Ki-Duk (who also made the awesome Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring). I thought it was really quite moving.

Really Ancien

« Reply #93 on: 22 July, 2008, 05:09:19 pm »
Chicken Run. not weird in itself until you think about it. It is in essence a Holocaust movie, with elements of Animal Farm. The holocaust allusions are stronger if we consider Himmler's origins as a chicken farmer. It is also strongly rooted in a sense of place; Lancashire between the moors and the mosses. If this is your home area then the message is amplified. So we have a film which blends 'The Great Escape', 'Schindler's List' and 'Animal Farm' with the whimsy of Wallace and Grommit. Amazing to think they pulled it off.
Bohème Magazine Online

Damon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #94 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:06:03 pm »
1. Donnie Darko
2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey
3. Something by Peter Greenaway
4. Something by Peter Greenaway
5. Something by Peter Greenaway

All good stuff though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #95 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:10:26 pm »

Drowning by Numbers*

* I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Uncle Tom Cobbley And All yet

You've mentioned the two most accessible Greenaway films (DBN is my favourite film.  TCTTHWAHL suffers IMO from its one-set staging, although there are some marvellous tracking shots).  The Baby of Macon is, apparently, a very bad experience indeed, and I haven't seen it, but Prospero's Books is good if you're not interested in plot.

« Reply #96 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:15:21 pm »

Drowning by Numbers*

* I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Uncle Tom Cobbley And All yet

You've mentioned the two most accessible Greenaway films (DBN is my favourite film.  TCTTHWAHL suffers IMO from its one-set staging, although there are some marvellous tracking shots).  The Baby of Macon is, apparently, a very bad experience indeed, and I haven't seen it, but Prospero's Books is good if you're not interested in plot.

Drowning by Numbers was excellent (and has Juliet Stephenson in it...)   Cook, Thief, Wife is good and even better if you like Dutch/Flemish painting. Richard Bohringer is a bit wasted in it though.

I saw "Baby of Macon" at our local art house. I thought it was beautifully done. Lots of people walking out midway though and my neighbor even wrote a letter of complaint to the management.  Something to offend everybody I think...

Not a film but there was a TV series that scared me badly as a child. All I could remember about it was a boy & girl trapped in a house surrounded by rocks with glowing eyes  :o 

It wasn't until a few years ago that I found it had been called "Escape Into Night", since filmed as "Paperhouse"
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #97 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:15:10 am »
1) Eraserhead
2) Crash (the one with crashes in it)
4) Fitzcaraldo
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #98 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:23:11 am »
And of course Withnail & I with copious quantities of alcohol....

Richard E Grant is teetotal

Can we have a most overrated films thread?

1. Highlander

rogerzilla

« Reply #99 on: 23 July, 2008, 06:43:40 am »
I didn't know anyone rated it.

The Blair Witch Project.  The mockumentary shown before it was released was better than the film.