Author Topic: Mid-Essex / Bit of Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)  (Read 28593 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex / Suffolk 2 night bivvy extravaganza (11th to 13th September)
« Reply #75 on: 05 September, 2020, 08:15:21 pm »
Are we doing the short route? Starting in Witham on Friday may be struggle depending on start time, but short route heads in my direction, so better for me.

Yes!  The short route is designed with you westerners in mind!

« Reply #76 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:17:07 pm »
OK, I think I'm in.
Just looking at sleeping things. I'm thinking this tent thing and this sleeping bag. What do you guys think? Also will need a bar bag to stuff it in. My other stuff is Apidura and, although a bit expensive, their stuff is well made.
 :-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #77 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:01:15 am »
OK, I think I'm in.
Just looking at sleeping things. I'm thinking this tent thing and this sleeping bag. What do you guys think? Also will need a bar bag to stuff it in. My other stuff is Apidura and, although a bit expensive, their stuff is well made.
 :-)

Tent thing great. Sleeping bag might be a bit thin but could be okay if you wear all your clothes.

Oaky got a cheap bar bag off Amazon recently. Check Planet X out as well.

« Reply #78 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:43:35 am »
OK, that's all good and thanks for the advice - I will go looking now.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #79 on: 07 September, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
The most usefulless BIVVY MULTI-TOOL has come down in price again.  You know you want to, I'll be lugging mine around at the weekend cos you never know when it might come in handy [like never  ::-)   ;D ]

« Reply #80 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
The most usefulless BIVVY MULTI-TOOL has come down in price again.  You know you want to, I'll be lugging mine around at the weekend cos you never know when it might come in handy [like never  ::-)   ;D ]

Don’t let the Strangler see the axe 🪓. He may change his modus operandi

« Reply #81 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:09:56 pm »
OK, that's all good and thanks for the advice - I will go looking now.  :thumbsup:

You can always get a bag liner as well as a thin bag. Use both together in autumn / spring and either on their own in summer.

https://seatosummit.com/product/reactor-thermolite-fleece-liner/

P.S. It does not come with the woman.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #82 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »

You can always get a bag liner as well as a thin bag. Use both together in autumn / spring and either on their own in summer.

A bag liner is a good idea, I have a Sea to Summit liner, not the one with Phil's lady friend in it, and it seems fine, I think I've used it once. 

It looks like the bag Nick linked to earlier came with a liner so might be OK for the weekend, I doubt it will be too cold.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #83 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:05:11 pm »
Don't forget some sort of sleeping mat as well
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #84 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »

I'm surprised there's no trowel

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #85 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »

I'm surprised there's no trowel

I’m talking to Planet X about Mk2!

« Reply #86 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:00:04 pm »
The most usefulless BIVVY MULTI-TOOL has come down in price again.  You know you want to, I'll be lugging mine around at the weekend cos you never know when it might come in handy [like never  ::-)   :-D ]
I can't tell you how tempted I'm not.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #87 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:01:30 pm »
The most usefulless BIVVY MULTI-TOOL has come down in price again.  You know you want to, I'll be lugging mine around at the weekend cos you never know when it might come in handy [like never  ::-)   :-D ]
I can't tell you how tempted I'm not.

You can borrow mine!

« Reply #88 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:01:52 pm »

I don't want that then. I thought this weekend away was supposed to be fun? Seriously, thanks, Phil!  :-D

« Reply #89 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:06:48 pm »
OK, so thank you for all of your advice and I am now getting:
Sleeping bag
Mat thing
... along with the tent and some straps, etc.I have sacked-off the idea of the bar bag as I think I might get the sleeping bag/tent lashed to the handlebars/in my seat pack/lashed to my seat pack.
Thanks again - exciting!
Nick.

« Reply #90 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:47:42 pm »

I don't want that then. I thought this weekend away was supposed to be fun? Seriously, thanks, Phil!  :-D

Well that would be my other suggestion. Bring your woman, to keep warm overnight.

« Reply #91 on: 08 September, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »

Well that would be my other suggestion. Bring your woman, to keep warm overnight.
Ha ha, she is a bit more glamping than camping!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #92 on: 08 September, 2020, 01:45:47 pm »
Some of our wives, I'm not saying all, regard bivvying as vagrancy by another name so persuading them to accompany us could be a challenge  ;D

« Reply #93 on: 08 September, 2020, 02:30:06 pm »
Ha ha, definitely no chance of my wife joining us!
Slight disaster in tha the tent won't arrive on time, so I have cancelled that and will probably get this one. More expensive, but you get what you pay for and a positive review here.
Also rolls up tiny - 38cm X 15cm, which I like.
If all goes well I will be doing the long route one weekend if anyone else fancies it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #94 on: 08 September, 2020, 02:32:54 pm »
Ha ha, definitely no chance of my wife joining us!
Slight disaster in tha the tent won't arrive on time, so I have cancelled that and will probably get this one. More expensive, but you get what you pay for and a positive review here.
Also rolls up tiny - 38cm X 15cm, which I like.
If all goes well I will be doing the long route one weekend if anyone else fancies it.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #95 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:32:55 pm »
By the way, what time are we leaving? I might be a bit late and have to meet you at the "campsite", due to family things.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #96 on: 09 September, 2020, 07:15:16 am »
By the way, what time are we leaving? I might be a bit late and have to meet you at the "campsite", due to family things.

An excellent question!  My thoughts were to leave Witham at about 1800hrs but can delay depending on who else is leaving Witham and what time suits them... Oaky?

Meeting at "the campsite" is fine or you could meet us on route.  On previous adventures we have used Glympse for live tracking and it's worked well.  I have no idea what's happening regarding dinner and liquid refreshment as winging it at the core of the plan so you might be able to track us down in a pub we happen across.

Oscar's dad

I think this evening we'll be discussing our MEMWNS Covid-19 strategy.  We can also have a think about how we arrange ourselves this weekend.  I can't see it being a major problem, just stuffs to bear in mind.

I think this evening we'll be discussing our MEMWNS Covid-19 strategy.  We can also have a think about how we arrange ourselves this weekend.  I can't see it being a major problem, just stuffs to bear in mind.

New Rulz don't come in to force until Monday. This gives everyone ample opportunity to have one more blow out and to ensure maximum spread of the virus. You will still be able to go and play footy with people from 21 other households tho ::-) ::-)

Oscar's dad

New Rulz don't come in to force until Monday. This gives everyone ample opportunity to have one more blow out and to ensure maximum spread of the virus. You will still be able to go and play footy with people from 21 other households tho ::-) ::-)

Yeah but existing rulz say you shouldn't be in a group of more than 6 if more than 2 households are involved even if you're outdoors.  The new rulz are a bit bonkers though.  I suppose every little helps.