Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814227 times)

essexian

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22650 on: 30 August, 2019, 04:07:26 pm »
With CBH and her "Aged Mum" heading to their holiday home for the week, I decided to take the day off to celebrate do some cycling and get ready to care for myself and the 11 moggies for the week.

So, come this afternoon after 120 pouches of cat food and a large bag of frozen chips had been purchased, I took myself off to Haughton with the view to doing a 50km ride down the old Roman Road to Brewood and then back via Penkridge. I had plenty of time so was looking forward to my longest ride in ages.

Anyway...best laid plans of mice etc..... I got as far as the turn off for Wheaton Aston and decided that the headwind which I now note was blowing at somewhere north of 25kph was too much for me to returned back to my car with a total of 30kms done. I would love to say that the headwind at the turning point became a tailwind but of course it didn't!

Overall, it was nice to get out and my average speed is still increasing but still nowhere near where it should be. I'll try again on Sunday: tomorrow is to be spent trimming her bushes/ cutting down trees.

« Reply #22651 on: 30 August, 2019, 07:15:09 pm »
Well I had a half day of holiday that needed using up by tomorrow so escaped work early and got out for a bike ride. I was a bit slow setting off so only did 23 miles in the end but it was very pleasant being out in the sun.

Stopped for a pint at the Chalvington Yew Tree but had to walk around drinking it as staying still resulted in being beset by wasps.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22652 on: 01 September, 2019, 06:44:44 pm »
Mum's and back (overnight) last weekend (we've been away in-between and this is my first chance to report).

I'd planned to go cycle-camping last Saturday but with the glorious weather everything was booked. So, knowing mum would enjoy a visit, I decided to cycle to hers on Saturday, stay overnight, and get the train back on the Sunday. It's about 40 miles as the crow flies (if the crow followed the A38) but on the bike ended up being about 45. The weather was fantastic (despite something of a headwind) and discovering the NCN54 between Alrewas and Lichfield was a delight.

Although I was on my heavier touring bike, and 45 miles is the longest ride I've done this year, I felt great at the end of the ride. I had a nice evening with mum (takeaway chinese, bottle of wine) and got up ready to get the train back in the morning. Except that the trains were having industrial action, and threatened to make me take a bus for some or all of the way. And I don't think buses carry bikes.

However, the weather was still brilliant and my legs felt surprisingly up for it. Plus, the wind was still blowing from the south, meaning it would be behind me, so I rode back!

90 fabulous miles in a weekend, and a nice evening with mum.

:thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #22653 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:10:38 pm »
Perfect weather for a wandering group ride to a local garden centre. Loads of cyclists out and about, including a formal charity ride which seemed to include a wide range of riding options. At least one on an old Pashley PO bike.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22654 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:40:50 pm »
Did the Windsor bun run with the club (Richmond Park to Cinammon Cafe in Windsor and back). The ride out was OK and the bun was good but the route back is very road-y. I much prefer going out to Surrey tbh.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22655 on: 01 September, 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
London Sightseer Audax (well actually a slightly truncated version involving the Canary Wharf ferry to make it about 54 miles as we had a deadline to be home by) - saw a few familiar faces including Dave a.k.a. LWAB

Great ride as always in perfect conditions - - must be the 8th or 9th time I've ridden it.

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22656 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:13:20 pm »
Got on my bike yesterday and toddled out through Chucklepurch, up Hinton Hill, long wait to cross the A46, then some smiling COR on the Fosse Way to Malmesbury. Went to the cafe in the town hall and had a cup of tea and a slice of apple cake – and a sandwich! Then decided to go on further to Purton. Diverted along some bridleways and then some not bridleways before going on to Somerford Common, which is actually wooded rather than a typical common. Spent ages looking at various butterflies, bees, flies and a huge yellow and black dragonfly with a whippy tale – it really showed how they got their name! Eventually reached Purton via some new roads, then home through Luckington ford and so on.

Really nice day. Didn't meet many motorists at all – more bikes than cars on the lanes either side of Malmesbury – and no bad driving. Great weather too!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #22657 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:29:21 pm »
Really nice day.

And not a mangled bicycle in sight! (unlike our failed ride on Saturday  :facepalm:)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22658 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:36:43 pm »
I wasn't going to mention that... Thank goodness for Argos! (Note to any forumites who might be alarmed: the only mangled item was a bicycle. No riders were harmed. The plastic wrapper from a *Welsh" pasty  :sick: was the culprit and I fear any Celtic fraternity that might have existed has been lost.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22659 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
One of those rides today: breakfasted for 100+k ride, got out on road & woke up old 2013 sacroiliac trouble, rapidly joined by recurrence of 2011 ankle cartilage annoyance. Persisted until pain convinced me that persistence was daft, turned home & got a puncture 5k out.  Hauled home by MrsT in the jalopy.

Aye well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22660 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:47:05 pm »
Just back from a 3 day (2 night) trip to the FFCT gite (which is not really a gite as I understand the term) with the club, which will make the report thread if I can manage to write correctly. More interesting was the result of tuesday's short (20km) test ride before going on this jaunt.
 For various reasons to do with weight and an anticipated 4000m of climbing I decided to take the Vitus (also because the position was sorted with short cranks, which seemed a good thing). I had already put a dt lever for the front mech as the "brifter" thingy is only double, not triple. The ride showed that the mech wouldn't shift to the little ring (except by passing to the outer ring first, which could be a bit inconvenient going up a mountain), the rh shifter was doing anything and all but what God intended (although it was working fine with the double set-up) and the pump on the seat tube bottle holder was bumping my leg.
After the ride I shifted the pump bracket, slackened the front mech cable and adjusted the throw a bit and put a dt lever instead of the brifter for the rear mech. How I love non-indexed levers for getting you out of trouble. Result two whole days (one full and two halves) of bliss. I kept the brake levers, no time to change them and even if they were a bit flappy it really didn't matter. I think another set of Sunrace indexed dt levers will be on order shortly.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22661 on: 08 September, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »
Actually I have been out today, first bike ride since my laparotomy on the 9th of July. A gentle 18.5km pootle on the MTB to christen the new tyres. Dunfy through Fordell estate, then up to Crossgates, Halbeath then home.

Didn't feel to sore, just a bit uncomfortable on my surgical scar while sat in the riding position.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22662 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:40:37 am »
Managed a coffee-shop run yesterday despite nagging sacroiliac, which wasn't getting better lying around the house. Amazingly, when I got home it had completely stopped hurting and still doesn't.  OTOH the season's glut of plums had me contemplating the phases of matter (plasma excepted) as I approached home.  84k added to this year's meagre log, 1.3 kg lighter this morning. :o :D

essexian

« Reply #22663 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:04:55 am »
I made a mistake on Thursday going to see the Tour of Britain in Pershore. Not that going to Pershore was a mistake: its quite a nice little town and the chps for lunch were of an acceptable standard. Nor was it a mistake going by train, although three changes were a bit of an effort especially given that I changed at the wrong Worcester station on the way back, no, my mistake was not taking one of the five bikes I own with me.

Why you may ask. Well, despite looking at a map before I went in order to find where the start/end of the TT course was, I failed to calculate how long a walk it is from the station to the town itself. The answer is 1 3/4 miles according to the road signs. Now, for a fit me, walking that distance would be no issue at all. However, with my bad back (which seems to be getting more and more painful  :( ) it took a considerable effort. Indeed, I estimate it took me nearly and hour to manage meaning I didn't get to the spot I had planned to watch from.

So....why didn't I take a bike? I decided not to take one as travelling with a bike on British Trains can be a right pain. While I know West Midlands Trains/ London North Western have a "come, all welcome" policy, the same does not go for Great Western Trains who insist on booking a spot and, as the last leg of the journey was on one of their trains, I decided against it.....forgetting I have a folder which is free on all trains normally  :facepalm:

However, come Friday I got it right when I took my road bike on London North Western to Atherstone to catch the race there. However.... blimey have I lost fitness in the year since the professionals last visited the town as the hill out of town by the golf course seemed to be three times as hard as it was but coming down was fun...37mph! The town seemed less busy this year than last but after riding the route a few minutes after the race had gone, I did get a few cheers from the school kids which were amusing.  Only 10 miles but, despite the hills, cycling is so much easier now than walking.

« Reply #22664 on: 14 September, 2019, 02:01:35 pm »
Went for a steady 100km this morning. East out of Sheffield through the small villages around Rotherham and then into some lanes towards Retford. Back through Worksop and into the same lanes/villages as the outbound leg.

Stopped for a coffee in Mattersey which I enjoyed sat on the curb in the sun. Didn't realise there was a tailwind on the way out until I turned at Retford...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22665 on: 14 September, 2019, 09:07:45 pm »
18 miles out to Wakering Stairs where I picked some blackberries. I saw a fair few swallows and house martins twittering around Barling Magna, so some of them are still around.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22666 on: 15 September, 2019, 02:00:36 pm »
Yesterday, I guess on the, despite the name, Friday Night Ride to the Coast.  Getting to the start was the first challenge, as the trains were a bit b0rked due to "trespasser on the line at Balham". As the Wise Old Elf pointed out, that was an excuse Reggie Perrin didn't use but should have.  Rounded up three other London bound miscreants at Gatwick and whizzed to Blackfriars then trundled along the South bank, past a gathering on the shore, the ingredients of which seemed to be FIRE, weed and drumming. Arived at the start where I was asked several times if I was Adrian. It was a large ride, with almost 80 riders, although two of these were running late,so Tim Decker was asked to wait for them and catch the ride later.

We took the classic route, modified to allow for starting at the National Theatre rather than Hyde Park Corner, so over Westminster Bridge then along and back over Chelsea Bridge and away to Clapham Common where Titus was dealing with a puncture and Adam, having been delayed by Trains, met up with us. After a brief stop it was off south to Tooting, Mitcham, Wallington and Coulsdon.A longer wait at the foot of Portnalls Road where Tim Decker and the two Very Late Riders finally caught us up. Adam did some quality brake reach adjustment to a hired bike. Grind up through Chipstead then to the top, swiftly followed by the bottom, of Reigate Hill, which was busy with motorised traffic as the nearby M23 was closed.  Top marks to the Stobart lorry driver who stopped their wagon to let 76 riders out after the regroup and patiently stayed behind all the way through Reigate until we peeled off for Lonesome Lane.

Horley, Badlands and then we were at The Edifice  I love it that they thank us for coming.  Off out into the beginning of the dawn, which was colder than predicted. Turners Hill, then the long drift down to Ardingly, where we dealt with our only major mechanical.  One of the Very Late Riders, a young French woman, full of enthusiasm and riding a second hand bike towards the BSO end of the spectrum had been keeping us company at the back of the ride. Not struggling exactly, but finding the going a bit tough. Her left hand pedal fell off, which was exciting, and possibly an end of ride event.  The threads in the crank looked banjaxed and as Adam went to refit it he discovered it was the right hand pedal that had been forced into the left hand crank. Fortunately there was a left hand pedal in the right hand crank. We carefully removed it and swapped them round, doing them up ever so gingerly. Thanks to a mixture of good luck and steel cranks the bike held together for the rest of the ride.

Suddenly it was light and we were in Lindfield, followed by the marvels of Slugwash Lane and Streat Lane then finding our way up Ditchling Beacon. No family hatler coffee stop, partly because mini (now 6'2") hatler was riding with us. Some walked, some rode and we all got up. The whizz into Brighton failed to trigger any speed cameras and we meandered across to the 'spoons at Brighton Marina where Adrian was conspicuous by his absence.  FEB followed by a couple of pints of brown beer and I was off to look for a train. Finishing as I started, the trains were b0rked, this time down to "an obstruction on the line".

Some photos are here:https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTa1524bDmUALB5f7
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22667 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »
Great ride report! It's more than 13 years since I did my first FNRttC. I think perhaps...

Oh, the link to your photos seems to be in the same place as the trains.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22668 on: 15 September, 2019, 11:02:42 pm »
Hmm. Bloody Google.

Does this work?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3JsLfL3G1R9y665V7
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22669 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:45:39 am »
That's funny. Tim's original photo link worked for me yesterday but not today. Google is not much of a friend.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22670 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:50:21 am »
A pootle on the tandem up to Epping Forest High Beach tea hut and return down the Lee Valley. Went blackberry picking in Gunpowder Park (near deserted as usual). Shortly after joining the towpath there was a holler from behind along the lines of "hello audaxers" which turned out to be a couple from peak district/Sheffield direction having their first tandem experience on a hired machine from Broxbourne (I think). Presumably they spotted the mudguard stickers. If you are on this forum, hope you enjoyed the rest of the day despite the slight shortcomings of the bike like slipping seatposts!
We stopped for lunch at Stonebridge lock cafe then an ice cream stop at the Olympic Park gelateria, reassuringly expensive but delicious (vegan) dark chocolate available.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22671 on: 16 September, 2019, 11:19:13 am »
Not today, not yesterday, but Saturday. Although in a similar way to Tim's ride, it was also Sunday. Having discovered that the famous Fell Club were meeting at a campsite just north of Gloucester I'd stayed at on the way up to YACF Wellesbourne a week ago, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss to meet them and discover the source of or maybe truth about their fame/notoriety.

But before I tell you about them, what about the ride up? Not much to say about that, as I didn't set out till after four so rode to Partway station (about five miles) and got a train from there to Gloucester. On disembarking at Gloucester, I discovered it was Gloucester Pride day and the city centre streets, in fact even the station platforms, were full of drunks in rainbow colours, some of whom were already on the verge of getting lairy. So I made my way straight through the city pausing only to get some chips, cos I hadn't had any lunch, from the Black & White Cafe, which has nothing in common with its Bristol namesake.* Then out over Alney Island, up the delightfully named Chargy Hill and out to the campsite.

What then of the Fellists (Fellers? Fellons?)? Ah, they initiated me into the black (and white?) arts of fellony and swore me to secrecy! Actually, they were remarkably similar to a YACF camping gathering, just a little older, slightly scruffier and without unconventional machinery, unless you count a Brompton. And with a big pile of books that someone had brought along and was trying to get rid of. Apart from that, the normal ingredients of tea, beer and fire were all present!

It started to get dark and it was going to get cold so I made my way home. Stopped pretty soon to put my arm warmers and gillet on under my jacket. It might seem back to front to put the gillet under the jacket but I find it works well as an extra layer between jersey and jacket to trap warmth, whereas over the jacket it does nothing; the jacket is windproof so it doesn't even serve that purpose. Once I'd done that, I was pretty warm.

The car that had been parked at the top of Chargy Hill, usually a lovely spot to admire the view in all directions, with its headlights blazing, was still there, headlights still on. Presumably a dogging spot, though as I've never noticed any sex and drugs litter there I guess that's okay. Difficult to see the long-horned (Highland?) cattle on Alney Island, even knowing they were there. Fortunately they tend to stick to the grass – I suppose the harder path is less comfortable for their hooves, besides they can't eat it! – and at least some of them have white rumps (they're otherwise black). Getting into Gloucester, I asked the first person I saw about a cafe that might still be open. She recommended a place called Portivo Lounge, but she was wearing dark glasses at night and brandishing a bag of dog poo so I ignored her advice and just got something from Sainsbury's. Besides, I didn't really want to stop too long and get 'cafe legs'.

Followed the canal out of Gloucester – not sure if I've done that at night before, but I didn't do a Basil, so all good! (You really don't want to fall in the S&G, it's far deeper than the average canal – the deepest and widest in the world back when it opened – and at least one now-railinged corner has a sad memorial  :(.) Then blasted down the A38 cos it was night so little traffic and would be warmer than the lanes down by the river.

I had a return ticket – due to God's Wonderful 'Rithmetic it's only 10p more than a single – so called in at Cam & Dursley staion, about half way, but of course no one wants to go to Bristol on a Saturday night so the last train had left at 21:32. And just as well, cos it's a straight and flat ride home, though I really could have done with something to eat in addition to the fortuitous Nakd bar I had with me.

Got back home just after midnight and a few streets from home there was a bloke skateboarding down the street. Pretty normal – except that his skateboard had no wheels!

Home, cup of tea, sandwich, the end.

*The Black & White Cafe in Gloucester is named for its timber-framed building, the Black & White Cafe in Bristol is named for lofty ideals of racial harmony (or something along those lines). The one in Gloucester is primarily a take away (hence chips! :thumbsup:), the one in Bristol primarily a cafe (and drug dealing venue). But the main difference for the hungry cyclist is that the one in Gloucester is still open, whereas the one in Bristol was closed and demolished several years ago!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22672 on: 17 September, 2019, 09:16:34 am »
Yesterday, an unintended 120k that would have been 40k shorter if I'd had any sense, since I've been pretty inactive the last week and was less than fit.  Just because of that I did around 45k with a lot of masochistic climbing before lunch, whereafter the weather was too beautiful to start home again so I did another 20k before realizing I was truly knackered and crawling homeward by the easiest route available; only to be forced up a narsty hill again by roadworks.  Got home more or less in one piece and have not yet died.

Saw a sign warning joggers & cyclists not to wear hi-viz during buzzards' nesting-season - they attack from behind and go for the head and nape.  Have to get a black titfer for next year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22673 on: 17 September, 2019, 09:28:31 am »
Followed the canal out of Gloucester – not sure if I've done that at night before, but I didn't do a Basil, so all good! (You really don't want to fall in the S&G, it's far deeper than the average canal – the deepest and widest in the world back when it opened – and at least one now-railinged corner has a sad memorial  :(.) Then blasted down the A38 cos it was night so little traffic and would be warmer than the lanes down by the river.

Our Rhine/Marne canal isn't all that deep but the tow-path has its scary bits. The most amusing one I was through yesterday had a guard-rail between path & road, a metre of tarmac, a metre of grass and then the water. Fine when there's nobody coming the other way.

It's not entirely surprising that in France you're not supposed to use cycle paths at night.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22674 on: 17 September, 2019, 09:53:44 am »

Our Rhine/Marne canal isn't all that deep but the tow-path has its scary bits. The most amusing one I was through yesterday had a guard-rail between path & road, a metre of tarmac, a metre of grass and then the water. Fine when there's nobody coming the other way.

It's not entirely surprising that in France you're not supposed to use cycle paths at night.
Cycle paths or tow paths? Or maybe both?

A metre would be wider than lots of the S&G tow path, though not the bits within Gloucester itself that I used the other night, and as for tarmac...