Author Topic: cucumber growing tips  (Read 3602 times)

cucumber growing tips
« on: 22 June, 2009, 10:03:43 am »
What is the growing tip of a cucumber ?

Some resources say once 7 leaves have formed, nip off the growing tip. What is the growing tip ?

Re: cucumber growing tips
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:40:43 pm »
The tip of the main stalk - I think the idea is that the plant will form better 'fruits' rather than a longer stalk. I don't do it myself.

Make sure cucumber plants are well watered otherwise they can be very bitter.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »
What is the growing tip of a cucumber ?

Some resources say once 7 leaves have formed, nip off the growing tip. What is the growing tip ?

The plant keeps getting longer and longer.  At the end of it is the growing tip.  So called because...well you can guess.

I think the year I had a successful cucumber I nipped out the tip when I thought the plant was big enough.

The main thing with cucumbers is to avoid stem rot by having the stem on a little heap.  Apart from that once they get going they are pretty good for producing loads and loads...and fresh cucumbers are loverly.

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2009, 03:32:42 pm »
I have some cucumber seedlings in the greenhouse, so am watching this thread for interest.

I hope they don't go the same way as my tomatoes/lettuce/strawberries/carrots/beetroot/etc

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »
Our cucumbers are growing well, each plant has some large leaves and at least half a dozen cucumbers which are about 30mm long at present. The plants are about 90cm tall at the moment,. Is it wise to nip off the growing tip at this point ?

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2009, 05:29:14 pm »
Dr Johnson said nothing about growing cucumbers...but...

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2009, 11:01:52 am »
Our cucumbers are growing well, each plant has some large leaves and at least half a dozen cucumbers which are about 30mm long at present. The plants are about 90cm tall at the moment,. Is it wise to nip off the growing tip at this point ?

They are basically a vine, and will keep climbing if they can. I'd personally wait until they werr nearer 2m tall before stopping them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »
We tore down the cucumbers last night. Their leaves were dying off. We did get some cucumbers though, about 6" long and 1.5" in diameter, just eaten some of one in a sandwich with salmon for my lunch. The Mrs is happy with our first attempt.

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2009, 11:54:31 pm »
My cucumber plants are about 6 inches in height.

Please tell me that the ones you've just torn down were planted a few years ago...

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:23:19 am »
My cucumber plants are about 6 inches in height.

Please tell me that the ones you've just torn down were planted a few years ago...
No, they were planted a few months ago, from seed on the kitchen windowsill hence the height restriction

LindaG

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:34:54 pm »
We've had two beautiful cucumbers, but the baby ones seem to be going soggy at the ends.  The tiny babies, about 1.5cm long.  The ends with the flowers on.

Have I killed them?

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »
Usually means they weren't fertilized.  They just rot and fall off as tiny ones if not.  If the bees have done their biz then they start to get bigger.  You can do it yourself with a feather if it's happening a lot

We used to get about 10% or so of courgettes that did this.

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:48:33 pm »
Oh.  Maybe if I leave the greenhouse door open the bees will come in then?

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:50:17 pm »
I'd think so.  Either that of a bit of cucumber-tickling wivva feather :)

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:52:00 pm »
I'd think so.  Either that of a bit of cucumber-tickling wivva feather :)

Oh ...

No.  Let's not go there  ;D 

It almost writes itself, doesn't it?

LindaG

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:10:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice MalVolio  :).

I have left a note on the fridge to open the greenhouse door in the morning.  We haven't mown the lawn in a couple of weeks, it's covered in scented clover (fabulous) and therefore bees.  They are wearing many different designs of rugby top, so there must be a few hives around here.  Odds on we should get a few more cucumbers.

Do your job, girls.