Author Topic: Not losing the plot  (Read 1687 times)

Not losing the plot
« on: 02 February, 2012, 05:43:36 pm »
While out of work I've been doing masses of Taoist Arts and while helping my teacher coach T'ai Chi at an old people's class overheard one lady say she was having problems coping with her gardening, cue "Oh, your vegetables?", so I gathered she had a lottie and offered to help or take a share of it.  She was OK but her neighbour on the site had been looking for someone to help him as he's 78, we've made contact, I was made welcome and shown round and I've agreed to cart in 10 loads of horse manure on my Xtracycle for starters! 

During our discussion today he mentioned out of the blue what I'd already considered, namely was the effort totally at my own risk should he pass away or could I stake a claim to it; he said I would take the whole plot off him earlier than that, whereupon I patted him on the back and hoped he'd live for another 20 years yet.  But the question is, it's OK for him to say that but I can just imagine being kicked off and the site divided between two people on the waiting list.  While I'll certainly register for one if I get on with it OK and might accede to it during Patrick's lifetime, does anyone know how it would work out in practice (this is Dudley council)?  Otherwise everyone would just pass on their plots to people they knew, wouldn't they, and nobody on the queue would get a look-in?

Re: Not losing the plot
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »
I get the impression that my allotment site is 'a bit different' - the sort of arrangement you describe seems to be almost 'normal' on our site in Leicester.
There seem to be a few shared plots, and the committee appear to be very laid back - I wonder if this is because the supply/demand for plots is quite stable, with no waiting list and very few vacant plots (there's one next door but one to me, which would be a nightmare to deal with).

Does this site have a committee? If so - I'd have a word with them and get a feel for the (semi-) official line.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Not losing the plot
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:20:49 am »
The answer depends entirely on the rules of the allotment association or land owner so you should seek a copy of their process which should be readily available.  If it's not then ask why not, especially if it's public authority owned land.

I'm just taking over a Trustee role of a charity which operates land for the benefit of the community and includes allotments and grazing areas.  It's a right muddle at the moment.  In theory the charity was established for the benefit of the poor, but then we appear to have people with several allotments and a waiting list; some people getting free allotments for historic reasons, others because they're pensioners (irrespective of whether they're poor or not) and others paying.  We're trying to sort this out.  Some of them have "inherited" plots from their dad too.

Best bet is get a copy of the rules and/or lease agreement for the site which may contain limitations (e.g. plots only available to people of the parish who have gone through the right application procedure and signed an agreement etc)