Author Topic: Chilli advice please  (Read 2158 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Chilli advice please
« on: 02 February, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »
Some seeds have arrived for me with the following instructions:

Chilli Pepper Cayenne Red
Where To Sow: Chilli seeds are sown early in the year, and grown in a poly-tunnel, greenhouse or sunny windowsill. Germinatation takes 10-14 days. Use a soil based seedand potting-on compost. Good drainage is essential. Warmth is the key to good germination. ideally over 25 degrees C, but will germinate above 21 degrees C. In a small pot, sow several seeds in 5mm drills. When most of the seeds have germinated transfer into a individual larger pots.
What To Do Next: Once the plant as 5 true leaves either plant in the ground (Poly-tunnel) or in its own 20cm pot.
Handy tip: Be careful not to allow temperatures above 35° and try not to let the plant get too dry (avoids blossom-drop and pod-drop).

Have I accidentally bought some heat loving variety? Usually, I just bung 'em on the windowsill in the (cold) kitchen, If they need heat, are there any workrounds - nowhere here is every near 25 degrees?

Re: Chilli advice please
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »
If you've grown chillis before I'd do exactly the same.  I've grown cayenne red in the past and it got exactly the same treatment as the other varieties.
I do have a propagator, but window cill will probably do fine.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »
If you've grown chillis before I'd do exactly the same.
+1 to this. Our chilli seeds are started off on the dining room window sill. Daytime air temperature will be in the range 18 - 20 C and they will get whatever afternoon sun there is. Nighttime temp could fall to 15 C.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2013, 09:14:50 am »
Thanks for the advice.

I'll wait until the end of the month in the hope of higher ambient temperatures, though - as it's never much warmer inside our house than outside. This year I may also try creating a micro-climate to help; half a 2ltr coke bottle over the pot.

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »
It's a few years since I've grown any, but I always treated them the same as tomatoes and they seemed to germinate well. Clingfilm over the pot/tray is good while they germinate.

The standard trick with parsley seeds which are slow to germinate is to use boiling water on to the seeds when they are first sown, I have no idea if this is a good/bad idea for chilli seeds.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2013, 12:43:43 pm »
Airing cupboard?  during germination. I also use a seed tray that can be balanced on top of a radiator.