Author Topic: Yr Elenydd 2018 edition  (Read 9556 times)

simonp

Yr Elenydd 2018 edition
« on: 28 March, 2018, 04:02:00 pm »
This has crept up on me. The weather and a busy schedule has meant this will be my first audax this year. Well what could go wrong! New bike isn’t finished yet.

Hotel is booked. Got to ride this as going straight to 400k seems like a bad plan.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Yr Elenydd 2018 edition
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2018, 05:01:49 pm »
My first time... what's the worst that can happen  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2018, 05:17:41 pm »
Ooh. Haven't ridden this since Wolverley. Might turn up if I can

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »

You’re in for a treat. Don’t be alarmed if you have less time in hand at Tregaron than at the previous control. This is quite normal. The ride back is generally easier.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
Weather could be unhelpful as it was in 2016?

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »
Looking forward to this. Did it last year in absolutely fantastic cycling weather, suspect it won't be anywhere near as kind this year !!

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2018, 06:48:13 pm »
Looking forward to this. Did it last year in absolutely fantastic cycling weather, suspect it won't be anywhere near as kind this year !!

You cant go wrong with Welsh weather. Views are stunning in the sun, and lush when it rains.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Ben T

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2018, 07:34:35 pm »
I am planning to cycle this fine audax unless the weather prognosis is offensively shite. i.e. snow/ice , or definite heavy rain all day.
A bit of rain or a bit of cold i can put up with , and is to be expected...
 All the controls are enjoyable as I recall

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2018, 08:34:48 pm »
Bed/babysitter booked in Shrewsbury (cheers mum), fingers crossed for non-freezing weather.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2018, 08:53:32 pm »
Bed/babysitter booked in Shrewsbury (cheers mum), fingers crossed for non-freezing weather.

might see you there then  :thumbsup:

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:23:50 pm »

Had that for the route check - one of the more memorable crossings of the mountain road to Rhayader, so probably used it all up for you and it'll be lovely.

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:29:37 pm »

might see you there then  :thumbsup:

Entry closed so I won't see you at the start.

But I might ride the Cambrian 3A route from Chepstow which includes the loop of the two mountain roads

GrahamG

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2018, 09:10:15 pm »

might see you there then 

Entry closed so I won't see you at the start.

But I might ride the Cambrian 3A route from Chepstow which includes the loop of the two mountain roads
I need to have a look into those perms.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:22:56 am »
Well that was fun! The weather that is. As always the event was faultless.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:10:06 am »
Packed. Lost an overmitt earlier in the week and decided to set out anyway in the hope it wouldn't be necessary but the lack of it, and the estimation that overshoes wouldn't be necessary, proved terminal.

Did I read have patience with shobdon because they are under new managenent?! From my perspective they were militarily efficient - I had only just sat down and my order was brought out - to such an extent I initially almost missed it as I thought, nah, can't be mine yet. Nice stove as well.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:43:21 pm »
That stove was very inviting to stay awhile and warm up for sure. Instead we pushed on quickly in the hope not to cool off too much (mostly successful) and have elevenses at Beautifully Bonkers & Georgie Porgies Coffee Stop in Builth Wells, a cosy and quirky combination of a lunch room, clothes and shoes shop and hairdresser(!).

The Devil's Staircase and the two following climbs turned out not nearly as bad as I had feared; then again, with 16 gear inches and being able to stay seated may have had a lot to do with this  :) My campeur has now proven itself as a worthy audax bike for when the going gets steep! By comparison the rest of the climbing was fairly uneventful, though the accumulation certainly made itself felt and I was glad when we finally arrived back in Upton Magna at around 00:30

And yes, I hear you on the overshoes and gloves; although I "only" used knee warmers, overshoes and proper gloves were essential IMO. As was a rain jacket, both in the morning when it was pouring down and later in the day to keep myself a little warmer.

I did hear 156 riders did start, does anyone know for sure, and how many finished? And did anyone spot any dragons? That was the one disappointment of this otherwise superbly organised and interesting ride, not seeing any dragons (must have been the weather  ;D)

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2018, 01:06:42 pm »
What a difference compared to last year  ;D still an epic adventure though.

Thanks John and your team of helpers   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/Hzf5iqNWwAM
Eddington Number 75

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 08 April, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
That stove was very inviting to stay awhile and warm up for sure. Instead we pushed on quickly in the hope not to cool off too much (mostly successful) and have elevenses at Beautifully Bonkers & Georgie Porgies Coffee Stop in Builth Wells, a cosy and quirky combination of a lunch room, clothes and shoes shop and hairdresser(!).

The Devil's Staircase and the two following climbs turned out not nearly as bad as I had feared; then again, with 16 gear inches and being able to stay seated may have had a lot to do with this  :) My campeur has now proven itself as a worthy audax bike for when the going gets steep! By comparison the rest of the climbing was fairly uneventful, though the accumulation certainly made itself felt and I was glad when we finally arrived back in Upton Magna at around 00:30

And yes, I hear you on the overshoes and gloves; although I "only" used knee warmers, overshoes and proper gloves were essential IMO. As was a rain jacket, both in the morning when it was pouring down and later in the day to keep myself a little warmer.

I did hear 156 riders did start, does anyone know for sure, and how many finished? And did anyone spot any dragons? That was the one disappointment of this otherwise superbly organised and interesting ride, not seeing any dragons (must have been the weather  ;D)

I suspect we passed as Andrew and I were on the way back to our hotel.  There were still plenty coming back in as we were heading back out at that time.  No dragons but plenty of toads/frogs, some flatter than normal, others sitting proud awaiting a flattening!

Epic ride, I didn't think I was apprehensive until I tried to get some sleep in the hotel before and only managed 4 hours.  A long day in the saddle, I think I enjoyed the steeper climbs than the ever lasting drags and I now know for definate I need to investigate a new saddle to keep my sit bones happier.

Really glad to have ridden that ride, my first time in propper big hills where you feel dwarfed by their size!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:07:36 pm »
I believe only 102 started in the end. At about midnight John knew of 17 that had dropped out, all I believe early on due to being cold and wet...

Awesome route. I’m aching a bit today! Very glad of my sub compact crankset on the Devil’s staircase!

John

GrahamG

« Reply #19 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:13:50 pm »
Disgusting weather for the first few hours and a bit more after, I think the chill got me to push harder and eat more than was probably sensible so struggled from builth onwards with digestion (just in time for hills). On the positive side, the wind was very friendly throughout compared to previous experience!

Was well chuffed with the spread at the end too, proper meal meant that I wasn't raiding the cupboards at me mum's or waking up the sprogs with her obscenely loud microwave.

« Reply #20 on: 09 April, 2018, 08:50:41 am »
Rapha rain jacket 0 Wales 3 ☔️🙄 By the 2nd control I was that cold I struggled to open a bag of crisps.
Would have been in real trouble if had punctured at that stage but thankfully the fairies 🧚‍♀️ stayed away .
Weather cleared before the pass over to Tregaron and it was fairly good all the way back for me but I had got so wet and cold earlier I was not in the best of moods .
As usual great controls , the bowls club is always a welcome site after the pass for the beans on toast .
A good 45 mins slower than last year but given the weather and mostly solo ride and my grumpyness I was still happy to get back in the daylight and do the picklescott return with the great descent (after the big climb) .
Thanks to John and all the helpers for putting on the event .

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #21 on: 09 April, 2018, 02:53:16 pm »
Rapha rain jacket 0 Wales 3 ☔️🙄 By the 2nd control I was that cold I struggled to open a bag of crisps.
Would have been in real trouble if had punctured at that stage

I was in the same situation. I had to get another rider to undo my helmet strap and the zips on my jacket. I even struggled to get a fork into some carrot cake and was hardly able to pick up my coffee! There is no way on earth that I could have fixed a puncture at that point!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 09 April, 2018, 03:30:00 pm »
My DNS was a smart move. I would have struggled as not had enough outdoor miles this year. Well done to everyone who took part.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #23 on: 09 April, 2018, 04:12:41 pm »
Looking back, Garmin recorded temperatures between 7 and 9 degrees. But it did feel much much colder. No wind chill to speak of (besides your own speed of course) but the humidity probably played a big role in this.

« Reply #24 on: 09 April, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
I was mightily glad that I arrived in Shrewsbury mid-afternoon on the Friday. First thing that I did on arrival was to get my bike ready, and realised that I'd not fitted a bracket for my front light. Looked up the local bike shops, and was just about to head off for the most promising one when I realised that I'd left a small bag with various bits inside at home. Those various bits included my Garmin, my backup Garmin, the powerpack and all the leads to charge everything. Given how organised I like to be, that moment when I realised what I was missing was not very pleasant!

A quick shopping trip later and I had a suitable light bracket, powerpack and cable for my phone. Then in the evening I sorted out getting the GPX onto my phone.

As it turned out, the ride went really well. I rode with jiberjabber, with the intention that I'd use my phone if I ended up by myself along the way. That wasn't needed as I had a kindly riding buddy.

Controls were brilliant, especially the bowls club and the Old Wheelwright. I was a bit cold at times, especially my feet, but knew the weather would improve later in the ride, which helps psychologically. The scenery was absolutely fantastic, and I'm looking forward to being back in Wales for a few rides this year.

Many thanks to John and the various helpers for making this ride both possible and enjoyable.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43