Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 338237 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2950 on: 30 October, 2023, 11:19:37 pm »
Has anybody else noticed this blatant example of 'skimpflation'.
Tanqueray London Dry Gin is now  41.3% alcohol by volume , down from 43.1% If you can find any of the 43.1% stuff still knocking around I advise you to get in quick before it disappears.

I think Mr Sainsbury's bog rolls have become narrower of late; there was a distinct difference in height between a couple of rolls on my bathroom windowsill.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2951 on: 31 October, 2023, 07:30:22 am »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2952 on: 31 October, 2023, 07:46:19 am »
Has anybody else noticed this blatant example of 'skimpflation'.
Tanqueray London Dry Gin is now  41.3% alcohol by volume , down from 43.1% If you can find any of the 43.1% stuff still knocking around I advise you to get in quick before it disappears.

I think Mr Sainsbury's bog rolls have become narrower of late; there was a distinct difference in height between a couple of rolls on my bathroom windowsill.

Not being a gin drinker the former passes me by but being a user of the latter ...

We buy ours from Serious Tissues.   Just our choice you understand but they get delivered to the door (repeat order due tomorrow), they seem to last longer than other brands tested and they are neither too harsh nor too soft.

At least, in bogroll reviews, this is mine!  🤭

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2953 on: 31 October, 2023, 04:00:24 pm »
I'm also no gin drinker.
Took the chance to lay one sheet on another and note around 8 millimetres disparity.

Sneaky!

« Reply #2954 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:03:35 am »
The cricket is on Talksport not TMS and they've got the background noise too high so not easy to hear the commentators over it with the volume set at appropriate volume when most the house is still in bed

« Reply #2955 on: 03 February, 2024, 01:35:06 pm »
I tried to watch the world cyclocross champs on BBC i-player.
No chance of hearing the commentary at least at first.
Really should be able to do better

« Reply #2956 on: 03 February, 2024, 04:03:41 pm »
Climate change could mean children of middle-class families may be denied the opportunity to fanny about on skis. Quelle catastrophe  ::-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/68151487
The sound of one pannier flapping

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2957 on: 03 February, 2024, 04:18:13 pm »
Grief, but that woman annoys me when she co-presents Ski Sunday. Mind ewe, her co-host isn’t an awful lot better.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2958 on: 03 February, 2024, 04:28:14 pm »
Grief, but that woman annoys me when she co-presents Ski Sunday. Mind ewe, her co-host isn’t an awful lot better.

They are certainly a pair of twats, but perhaps that reflects on the activity they represent?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2959 on: 03 February, 2024, 05:33:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2960 on: 24 February, 2024, 11:17:31 pm »
I really like the look,of my beard at the moment because its proportions seem like to be just right. But, my moustache is beginning to irritate me because it has a habit of dipping in my drinks and then dropping it onto my beard.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2961 on: 24 February, 2024, 11:25:07 pm »
I really like the look,of my beard at the moment because its proportions seem like to be just right. But, my moustache is beginning to irritate me because it has a habit of dipping in my during and then dropping it onto my beard.

During?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2962 on: 25 February, 2024, 09:58:53 am »
I really like the look,of my beard at the moment because its proportions seem like to be just right. But, my moustache is beginning to irritate me because it has a habit of dipping in my during and then dropping it onto my beard.

During?
Drinks! It should say drinks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2963 on: 05 March, 2024, 08:57:17 am »
One of my double-walled coffee glasses came out of the dishwasher this morning with the cavity half-full of grey water: the nubbin left from when it was blown has a tiny hole through it.  Currently trying to expel the water by filling the glass with hot water & hoping expanding air in the cavity will do it - the glass is otherwise OK to use.  Have to remember to hand-wash it in future.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #2964 on: 05 March, 2024, 10:06:45 pm »
Microwave it?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2965 on: 06 March, 2024, 07:54:03 am »
Good idea - I'll try it next time. Ta.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2966 on: 06 March, 2024, 09:23:21 am »
Microwave it?

I wouldn't - that's likely to lead to rapid disassembly of the coffee glass.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2967 on: 07 March, 2024, 04:33:47 pm »
Listening to BBC6 Music through just one speaker, as one of the channels on my amp has died.
Words have been had with Richer Sounds at London Bridge and an acquisitive visit is planned for Saturday.

« Reply #2968 on: 10 March, 2024, 12:02:41 pm »
Listening to BBC6 Music through just one speaker, as one of the channels on my amp has died.
Words have been had with Richer Sounds at London Bridge and an acquisitive visit is planned for Saturday.
Picked up the amp as planned on Saturday.
Connected it all up.
Playing sounds.
Lovely.
Switched it on this morning.
Nothing.
Zilch.
Zero.
Nada.
 >:(

« Reply #2969 on: 10 March, 2024, 12:18:46 pm »
Picked up the amp as planned on Saturday.
Connected it all up.
Playing sounds.
Lovely.
Switched it on this morning.
Nothing.
Zilch.
Zero.
Nada.
 >:(
And now, it's working.
Evidently, it doesn't like the fact that I have the power supply on an R/C remote control, as that is how I normally turn it on.
It actually has to have the button on the front physically pushed.
 ::-)
 :facepalm:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2970 on: 10 March, 2024, 12:31:47 pm »
A NAD amp I was working on recently is the same.
There's a latching power push-button on the front, but that just brings on a 5v standby power supply.
This powers up a little microcontroller which is listening for one of the source buttons to be pressed, and also to the IR remote control receiver.

To power up the main PSU, you must either prod one of the input selector buttons, or use the remote.
That closes a relay, enabling 240v to the main transformer.

« Reply #2971 on: 12 March, 2024, 09:43:59 pm »
Damned climate change!  First threatening our children's ski holidays and now making bananas more expensive.  You'd think someone would do something about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68534309