Author Topic: I've bought a folding eBike  (Read 1304 times)

I've bought a folding eBike
« on: 09 August, 2023, 03:52:27 pm »
Not sure where to put this - maybe there should be an eBike sub-board? I'm sure those loverly mods will move it if needed  :-X

I've been umming & aahing about spending a wedge of cash I've been lending to the bank for the last few months. I knew it would be N+1 and I was pretty sure it'd be electron powered.

After a brief exchange on Mastodon, which changed some of my perceptions, needs & wants, I decided on a folder.
Despite the comments I decided that the money wouldn't extend to a Brompton.

Having looked at several alternatives, watched multiple YouTube reviews and talked to an owner at a set of lights in Northampton - I pulled the card out and went for a MiRider GB3. ( https://mirider.co.uk/product/mirider-one-gb3-folding-ebike-7ah/ )
Downside - it's assembled in Wigan  ;D
It was ordered Friday Lunchtime and delivered Tuesday afternoon.  :thumbsup:

I've only taken it on a couple of shortish rides (gimme a chance, it's only Wednesday!)
Initial impressions are very positive - not that I've got much experience to compare it with.

The saddle (some sort of gel Selle Roya)l is, I think going to go when I can find one of my unused Brooks at the back of the garage.
I'm spinning out at the top of the range assist - looking for the 4th gear (it's a novel 3 speed crank gear box, of Polish design) - but I'm not sure that's as big a problem as it seems, as it's not a 'speed' bike, it's definately a pottering bike.
The "rolling it while folded" is a skill I've not yet mastered.
Finding the setting to change it into km (rather than miles) was a challenge - and once found leaves it open to Unlawful Tinkering (top speed assist & a cruise control) which I've not dared fiddle with.

The build quality is top notch, the components seem to be well chosen, and fit the ethos of a 'folding camper-van bike'. The motor + belt drive is smooth & quiet - the gear change is lovely. There's plenty of adjustments for height & reach. The people at MiRider do actually seem to be nice, approachable people - and it seems that many of the staff are Cyclists rather than accountants.
I don't believe the quoted range, but I've got a series of testing loops planned for next week.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.