Author Topic: Letting off steam  (Read 8558 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Letting off steam
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »
Despite his obvious hurry, the driver was generously able to find time to stop and enquire if I had said something to him.  I didn't stop, so he passed me again and pulled across me to make me stop (which I had anticipated and was already slowing).  In the exchange that followed  -

There shouldn't have been an exchange. In this situation either repass them or stop and wait behind. If they force you into the kerb or get out of the car, mount the pavement and ride back the way you came. You have a legal excuse which is a genuine fear of an assault.

You're right, there shouldn't have been, I didn't seek one, until it actually happened I didn't realise there was going to be one, and if I hadn't got angry I could have avoided it entirely.

I didn't swear initially to antagonise him, but out of genuine alarm, and he didn't stop so quickly as make me think he was up for an argument.  I actually thought he was just pulling in to the kerb, so carried on past.  It was only when he shouted at me out his window that I realised he'd stop to argue. 

After I'd ridden past him there's a pinch point and roundabout, so when I heard him moving off again, I slowed to let him pass before we got there because I didn't want him sitting behind me gunning his engine and being a twerp.  I didn't think he was going stop again, until he angled across me.  He wasn't very close, but his intent to stop me was clear.

I'm not entirely sure what he said as I was a bit back on passenger side and I couldn't see him, but there was something in there about if I didn't like it I shouldn't have been in the middle of the road, and how dare I disrespect him.  I didn't say anything, neither did his two passengers (one of whom stared ahead, the other just goggled at me out of the window), until he said something about how he should get and give me a good hiding.  I'd had enough of his ridiculous posturing and asked him to have a go, which in retrospect was a bit silly but I wasn't being entirely rational at the time.  He drove off.  I'd like to think it was my manly presence, but it was more likely because he was blocking a junction and someone was waiting to turn into it.  Can't hold up traffic now, can we?

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

On Monday night my OH had the mirror on here motorbike clipped as she was going to slow before a left turn that a car drier was taking.

He was then quite unhappy being called a Cnut.  Then he chased her long storey short police involved and hes claiming crimianl damage and racial abuse.  OH is not english and I wonder how much different he would have been if I'd been there and shown him the polite way to treat people.

« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:46:34 pm »
It's less cool when there's fifteen stone of sweaty commuter on a bike where you just know his brakes don't work, trying to draft you through heavy traffic, half an inch from your back wheel (which happened to me this morning).  :o

You're missing a trick here Liz.
When the sweaty fat lump gets your back wheel, ease off a bit. He'll think he's got you beat and will pass you. You are now free to slipstream a 15 stone windbreak. I'll gaurantee you, that his male machismo will stop him from slowing down until he has dropped a wheelsucking female Liz.
If he does exhaust himself, you can pass him and he'll be too stuffed to sit on your wheel.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:44:23 am »
'You're missing a trick here Liz.
When the sweaty fat lump gets your back wheel, ease off a bit. He'll think he's got you beat and will pass you. You are now free to slipstream a 15 stone windbreak'

Bloody brilliant, that is something which I am going to have to cultivate. We all have to accept that there are quicker people on our commutes but sometimes you have to teach them that although they have thinner wheels it ain't necessarily that they are fitter than you although they may think they are  :)

Don't you think its freaky seeing really big chaps on thin bikes/bromptons etc? I start feeling sorry for the bicycle..

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:01:20 am »
This thread is beginning to give me a complex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:04:41 am »
Me too ...

« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:08:52 am »
I had a wheel louse the other day who overhung my rear wheel on the right, thus stopping me from following a smooth line. When I asked him to either overtake, drop back a bit or keep right behind me he told me to stop being a wuss.

I was a bit pissed off, but just dropped my speed until it was clear he'd either have to overtake or lose any benefit, he sprinted off and I was free to continue on my way.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #31 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:31:24 am »
'This thread is beginning to give me a complex.'

Oh lord, I should zip up my mouth sometimes, but seriously wowbagger I have seen photos of you and you are nowhere near big!

Is overhanging on your rear wheel mean being really really close to your back wheel then?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:33:28 am »
Oh lord, I should zip up my mouth sometimes, but seriously wowbagger I have seen photos of you and you are nowhere near big!
:-*

Only 16½ stone! :)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:34:53 am »
I'd assume "overhanging" in this context means overlapping his front wheel with your back wheel so that you can't pull out without crashing.  It's a really dumb thing to do.

« Reply #34 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:41:20 am »
I'd assume "overhanging" in this context means overlapping his front wheel with your back wheel so that you can't pull out without crashing.  It's a really dumb thing to do.
I assume the same and frankly don't worry too much about the guy behind. He'll back off after the first scare he gets when you pull out to avoid a hole.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:46:36 am »
Yebbut it's always the bloke on the back that goes down when wheels clash like this.

If I wasn't on my best bike, I'd be inclined to have a quick wobble and see how tight his sphincter control is...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:58:43 am »
Yebbut it's always the bloke on the back that goes down when wheels clash like this.
Exactly. No point in worrying about a rider who is behind you.

Alex's new friend was really doing him a favour. No extra danger to Alex, and overtaking vehicles will see a wider cyclist, thus tending to give Alex even more room. Bonza.

(The other guy is still an idiot!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #37 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:59:43 am »

If I wasn't on my best bike, I'd be inclined to have a quick wobble

That's why you've now got a Mundo.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #38 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:02:58 am »
Yep, as long as their front axle is behind your rear axle, any contact will leave the lead bike standing (admittedly the rider will probably suffer a Brown Moment) and the rear bike will in all likelihood end up on the deck.

This is seriously sub-optimal, but someone overlapping your rear wheel is unlikely to hurt you.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #39 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:09:44 am »

If I wasn't on my best bike, I'd be inclined to have a quick wobble and see how tight his sphincter control is...

Beat me to it. It's the back one who goes down unless he's Major Taylor [1]. Rather than wobble I'd just move steadily further and further from the kerb. At some point he's going to have to drop back and switch to the inside. Then start moving him back to the kerb. Repeat as necessary. The wuss comment is completely out of order.

[1] Marshall "Major" Taylor was the first black World cycling champion and the second black World champion in any sport. He excelled on the track where he had to overcome blatant racial discrimination. Other competitors would try to box him in to prevent him winning. He was so skilled he could discourage them by tapping their rear wheel with his front until they were sufficiently unnerved to let him through.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #40 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:12:40 am »
'I''d assume "overhanging" in this context means overlapping his front wheel with your back wheel so that you can't pull out without crashing.  It's a really dumb thing to do.'

Thats unbelievably stupid - I don't think that has ever happened to me before, its like caging whilst moving, very dangerous!

Wowbagger - you ain't got nothing to worry about, that must be 16 and a half stone of muscle, whereas I wish I could persuade my 18 stone of husband to do some exercise : )

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:18:26 am »
Once upon a time I was been slipstreamed by a total knobhead when I stopped, that a Lady with a pram and small child on each arm might use a zebra crossing.  Mr Knobhead rode smartly into the back of my steed, bounced off the tailbox and collapsed in a heap in the middle of Hampstead Road, to my considerable amusement.

Me: Are you OK?
Mr Knobhead: Yes.
Me: Pity...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #42 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

<snip>

...whereas I wish I could persuade my 18 stone of husband to do some exercise : )

A few sly comments about how he isn't able to, ah, perform, with the same vigour as he used to should get him hitting the gym quick sharp!  ;)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #43 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:34:10 am »
Gym? He's never seen the inside of a gym. He never got taught how to swim nor cycle in school, could not imagine that happening to me!

Seriously he is cutting down a lot on food and alcohol which is good as his exercise (apart from the obvious) is nil.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #44 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:38:26 am »
Unnecessary Overtaking Manoeuvres are so common, I've abbreviated it and frequently mutter to myself 'another UOM'.  Maybe it's hard wired into the cultural conscious that "bicycle is slow vehicle, must overtake".  It becomes, "must not read the road ahead, must overtake" with the attendant last minute braking at traffic queues.  Then of course, you'll filter, they'll fume.  I try and remember 'it's their heart attack'.

« Reply #45 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:43:48 am »
Gym? He's never seen the inside of a gym. He never got taught how to swim nor cycle in school, could not imagine that happening to me!

Seriously he is cutting down a lot on food and alcohol which is good as his exercise (apart from the obvious) is nil.

More of the obvious then. Simple innit.   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #46 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:44:42 am »
Unnecessary Overtaking Manoeuvres are so common, I've abbreviated it and frequently mutter to myself 'another UOM'.  Maybe it's hard wired into the cultural conscious that "bicycle is slow vehicle, must overtake".  It becomes, "must not read the road ahead, must overtake" with the attendant last minute braking at traffic queues.  Then of course, you'll filter, they'll fume.  I try and remember 'it's their heart attack'.

See "Golden Rule".

Otto

« Reply #47 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
I got a little more than annoyed this morning, much to the amusment of several taxi drivers. I just got so fed up af a huge heard of red light jumpers that after about he fourth or fifth junction they sailed through, I shouted very loudly 'you f**kin idiots!', several of them turned around and wobbled all over the place.
they still all went through the next set of lights though

ian

« Reply #48 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:03:09 pm »
Unnecessary Overtaking Manoeuvres are so common, I've abbreviated it and frequently mutter to myself 'another UOM'.  Maybe it's hard wired into the cultural conscious that "bicycle is slow vehicle, must overtake".  It becomes, "must not read the road ahead, must overtake" with the attendant last minute braking at traffic queues.  Then of course, you'll filter, they'll fume.  I try and remember 'it's their heart attack'.

Coming down the road the other day, going quite fast, probably noodling above the 20mph speed limit, started to slow for a right turn at the t junction ahead. There's an itchy car close behind. As soon as the road opened up just before the junction, the car just had to go. So it overtakes and ends up at the t junction on the wrong side of the road. Amusingly, there's another large wankpanzer attempting to turn into the road. So, it's face off time, because this is south-east London and no one can give way. Remember kids, giving way makes you gay. Or straight, depending on your starting preference.

Lady in the overtaking car then glares at me as I wait at the junction for a gap in the traffic and plaintively cries "why didn't you slow down?" Hmm, I'm stopped at the junction. I'm pretty sure the mechanism for this involved slowing down. It was nice, warm, smug feeling as I turned and left the two drivers snarling at one another.

But it's not just bikes. Coming back from the supermarket on Sunday, we had a Merc hanging like a limpit on our rear bumper. Did the same thing as soon as the junction came into view. Had to cut the corner severely onto a main road at speed, and only by the graces of any deity was there nothing coming down Elmer's End Road, because it would have been a head-on. Astoundingly, the idiotmobile went into a development about 50 metres further up the road. Evidently well worth risking the life of yourselves and others to get to your destination a few seconds earlier.

The horn on a Ford Ka is, incidentally, pathetic. More of a asthmatic parp. Certainly not enough to put errant overtakers in their place. I think some kind of brown noise targeting device would be good in these situations.

« Reply #49 on: 28 August, 2008, 12:10:16 pm »
Is overhanging on your rear wheel mean being really really close to your back wheel then?

Actually overlapping. His front tyre was about level with my rear hub. Totally unacceptable. I couldn't see behind me because all I could see was his sweaty red face, couldn't hear properly either since he kept freewheeling.
Looking down my left side was no good either since I still couldn't see clearly past him.

Since I was on my fixed, getting a good hard tap might cause me to kangaroo. Not much fun!