Author Topic: talk me out of buying a Radius Peer Gynt  (Read 3332 times)

talk me out of buying a Radius Peer Gynt
« on: 25 August, 2019, 09:48:47 pm »
I have always fancied a recumbent . But i have never got around to doing anything about it . Now  two radius peer Gynts are for sale on gumtree around 10 miles from my abode . A minter for £ 460 & a well used but tidy one for £ 395 .00 . I have recently bought an up wrong trike  and loving it .  Took me nearly 40 years to get one , life's too short  for buggering about isn't  colin
Its More Fun With Three .

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: talk me out of buying a Radius Peer Gynt
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:56:31 pm »
You’ll end up with flys in your teeth because of all the grinning while riding.
Hope that helps.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:59:19 pm »
Peer Gynts are slow but very comfortable touring machines. If you have room to store one and enthusiasm to ride it, why not?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2019, 10:46:15 pm »
And don't most recumbents hold their value pretty well? So I've heard anyway.

Can always try it and sell it on if you don't click.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2019, 10:46:58 pm »
If you have room to store one and enthusiasm to ride it, why not?

This.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2019, 11:08:23 pm »
DON‘T BUY ONE!

Sorry, you did ask  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:04:09 am »
And don't most recumbents hold their value pretty well? So I've heard anyway.

Can always try it and sell it on if you don't click.
This gets said a lot, but, while the second hand market price is high the time it takes to sell is long.  See elydave’s m5 highracer not selling and similar bikes on bhpc forum.  So, they hold their value but they might not sell.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »
Everybody needs a recumbent in their life. I just wish I'd discovered their joys earlier in my life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2019, 12:27:09 pm »
DON‘T BUY ONE!

While I agree with the n+2 sentiment, two Peer Gynts seems a little bit excessive.   ;D

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2019, 12:51:38 pm »
Peer Gynts are slow but very comfortable touring machines.

So at the risk of being seen as trolling... you're saying they aren't for mountain kings?  ;)

<walks off whistling, prestissimo>

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:34:02 am »
Also been looking at those two. Owner of the really tidy one talked me out of it when I asked him how far the seat would go back.

Only suitable for someone with an inside leg of 31" or less according to them.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:38:45 am »
Don't buy it. Buy some shoes for your children (if you have any that are of school age). ;)

« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:09:08 pm »
If you're going to buy one, then go for the mint one @£460.

« Reply #13 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:51:17 pm »
As the owner of a Dino (the poor relation of a Peer Gynt) I would say don't overlook the space required to store it, that seat is well wide and doesn't contract in any way. Also if it's mint it's also collectable in the long run so you won't want to ride it for fear of breaking things like 7s Rapidfire shifters (no, 8s; the Dino was in 7s Exage) which spoils the fun a bit. I find the long wheelbase too much of a handful for starting in traffic so I don't use mine very much, result of which it now lingers at the back of the garage (which is a further disincentive to getting it out!). Mine is now completely unoriginal (but was never a collectable in the way that a Peer Gynt would be).
The plus side is the sheer comfort and relaxed pleasure of riding the beast if you can avoid stop-start heavy traffic. It also is less extreme than a lot of modern recumbents which means that the muscles are used in a very similar way to an upwrong and the period of adaptation is short to nonexistant. Re the seat my inside leg must be well over 31" and I don't have any problems with the seat not going far enough back, I think there must still be a few cms before it blocks.
Be warned the front tyre on the Dino and I would guess on the Peer Gynt is a 500A x 28mm. Hutchinson were doing tyres of a fairly basic style that seem to work well. When the old Michelin Select on mine had to scrapped with rotten beads I bought two but that was several years ago. The Hutchinson was the only one I found on the web at the time and no point in asking in any LBS! The rim is 28 spoke so lacing to a dynohub should be possible (the original fitment is a bottle dynamo on the back wheel). I would guess that replacement rims (if they need to be found) will only exist in 36h. The Magura cantis on the Peer Gynt may pose a problem if you want to change rim size to something more available (I haven't explored this possibility on the Dino but it has caliper brakes so the possibilities are more numerous). The rear wheel shouldn't pose any problems.

Would I buy one if I didn't have the Dino? I would be very tempted! Would I choose one over a Baron or a Bacchetta if the price wasn't an option? Possibly but I wouldn't be using it in the same way.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:09:45 pm »
I have had many recumbent bikes and trikes in my time but the one I regret selling the most was my Peer Gynt. The only word of advice I would give is to widen the handlebars. My father did this for me and it was an easy job.
With the wider bars the stability was much improved and well worth the miniscule decrease in aerodynamics.
Liz.
(Can I have mine back please ?)