Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517574 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3175 on: 05 July, 2018, 11:46:07 am »
Wachlin hame fae the Hurdlemakers

I knew something was up when I arrived at the Hurdlemakers and found that it was covered in Union Flags and Saltires rather than the ubiquitous flag of St George.

At last, I thought, I am being welcomed in the style to which I wish to become accustomed.  That thought didn't last long, "Ted's brought a beach ball in his cycling jersey" was the mocking cry that greeted me as I dismounted.

The kilted secret service men with their earpieces standing at the door confirmed it was nothing to do with me, we had Scottish royalty on the premises.

Hotblack, the Hustler, NSFW, Huggy and Tomsk were sitting in the beer garden waiting for security clearance but we were soon allowed into the pub itself where we found Jem, Figgis, Mrs Figgis, Chris and the aforementioned royal personages.  Jem soon had us organised onto one table to allow the usual intellectual discourse to begin.

Somehow we managed to cover topics ranging from the Dutch Trip (which is a real thing not an urban dictionary term) through to how undernourished Figgis and me must have been as youths growing up north of the Watford Gap.  The Hustler and I tried to stage an intervention with Huggy but we think he is losing himself to square bashing - subscribing to Veloviewer is just the first step in the process of that particular addiction, thank goodness for Tomsk and his low tech ways.  We also took time to marvel at the sizing of the latest ACME clobber - race fit doesn't quite cover it but it is amusing to watch people trying on sizes that normally fit.

Along the way, we sampled Runner by Trumans, American Red Eye by Oakham and McConnel's by Thornbridge.  McConnels, a delicious vanilla stout, was the clear winner of the Quaffers' Choice award - we co-opted Figgis onto the committee to cover Oaky's long term absence in the US.

The other sandal wearers, Tomsk and Hotblack, didn't seem too impressed when I put on a pair of socks but then they weren't going offshore.  As it happened, it was such a mild ride home that they were probably unnecessary.  At least, with Figgis on the recovery trail, we didn't have to go to Chelmsford again - although he does want to go back there next week  :facepalm:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3176 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »
Folks, anyone else doing Hereward and planning to ride over for the Curry on Friday night from the Colchester/Witham area? (Not ECEing)

« Reply #3177 on: 11 July, 2018, 04:26:03 pm »
I'm doing the Curry and the Hereward. Had considered driving, but that would be daft with Dunmow so close. What were your thoughts on timings?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #3178 on: 12 July, 2018, 07:47:49 am »
I'm working from home so planning to leave asap after 5. Could meet in Kelvedon for 17:30ish?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3179 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:19:23 am »
I would like to do the ride and the curry, but not managed to get the bike luggage facilities sorted - spending too much time trying to get the punctures in the tubeless tyres to stay sealed when the bike is stopped. Only pumped the poxy things up 15 times in a day, the sealing gives up when stopped with pressures above 30psi.

« Reply #3180 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:33:25 am »
What sealant are you using?

Edit: I have an Alpkit Koala if you want to borrow that

BFC

« Reply #3181 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:50:27 am »
Using Schwalbe Doc Blue - and before any recommends "Stan's No Tubes"......

Schwalbe Doc Blue has this informative bit of text on the bottles (bottom left hand corner of label):
Produced by
Stan's NO TUBES
MADE IN USA

They have stayed up so far this morning after the shortened ride to work (delayed set of due to having to pump the rear tyre up before setting off), but I'm just not trusting them enough to stop anywhere that doesn't have a track pump waiting.

I have made note of the caution not to use CO2 inflators with this sealant.

« Reply #3182 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:52:50 am »
Tippers - Kelvedon at 1730 it is. Outside Railway Tavern?

The Hereward the Curry email suggested most of those up for curry were ACME - any other takers for a pre-curry pootle?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3183 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:59:19 am »
Ian - did you seat the tyres with an airshot or similar? (i.e. did you hear them pop on to the rim seat?)

The Schwalbe stuff is OK, quite a few of us are using Cafe Latex - it doesn't react with CO2 apparently (not that I use that) and is also a bit thicker once deployed.
Sometimes it can take a little while for the sealant to plug all the small gaps in the rim tape etc.

It could also be that the rim needs another layer of tape. (I have 3 layers on one rim and 2 on another and the 3 layer one holds air much better than the 2 layer one.)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3184 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:11:39 am »
Yep, Stans (so as you point out Doc Blue) seems to dislike anything much over Mountain Bike pressures. You are experiencing similar issues to what I saw.

Café Latex is defo better but I think others also get good reviews...orange seal for one.

it is a bit of trial and error in the beginning, once it all clicks it is great though, I am not well happy with my set ups on the Road Bike, Fixed and Gravel Wheels for the Croix de Fer. I will however be riding Tubed on Friday, seemed a waste to put nearly new 32mm Gravel Kings on the 'use later' pile.

« Reply #3185 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:12:42 am »
Outside? ;D

Just kidding...sounds good.

BFC

« Reply #3186 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:56:16 am »
Ian - did you seat the tyres with an airshot or similar? (i.e. did you hear them pop on to the rim seat?)

I used the "small" compressor -  with the 75 litre reservoirs sitting at 100psi.... It copes!, but is a bit noisy.

The tyre beads did pop, and sealed after running the fluid around a few times.

It would be nice if the sealant sealed punctures as well as it clogs the valve core.

Both tyres had a top up of fluid last night (Wednesday) to replace that which had sprayed out whilst riding, which seemed to make it worse - so probably down to viscosity of the sealant before its reacted with air. First inflation with fresh fluid was at 2:30am on Wednesday morning.  Washed the copydex coating off the legs, front mudguard etc is still covered, reluctant to clean the bike up until the shower phase of tubeless installation is over.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3187 on: 12 July, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
New or old tyres? (sometimes you need to clean the bead of tyres that have been previously used.)

It does sound like you are having a bit of a 'mare with these - certainly worse than I've had. 
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

« Reply #3188 on: 12 July, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »
New or old tyres? (sometimes you need to clean the bead of tyres that have been previously used.)

It does sound like you are having a bit of a 'mare with these - certainly worse than I've had. 

Its the pair of Schwalbe Pro One 28mm, had done 400 miles on the Jack before writing the Fiesta off, fully stripped and cleaned up about 6 weeks ago. Have been refitted to the "same" Hunt wheels which have had a minor repair (new rims to replace the pringle shaped ones), with new rim tape installed. Had a few minor leaks from the beads on install but they definitely settled by running the fluid around a few times.

The big problem has been the slowness of the sealant to set around fresh micropunctures from tiny flints, which these tyres seem very good at storing for later. Whilst riding the spray happens for a while then seals, to be followed sometime later by another outburst. This is sort of OK whilst riding because there is the fresh sealant sloping around to have another go at sealing the hole. When you stop (at a control point for example) unless the puncture is at the bottom of the tyre the leak restarts and just lets most of the air out of the tyre over 10 to 15 minutes.

Looking into the chemistry of the sealant is is latex based, with a solvent which includes ammonia solution. the curing process is activated by the release of ammonia gas into the surrounding atmosphere. The curing process is one way - the cured latex does not re dissolve into the original solvent efficiently. The CO2 inflators are not recommended because of the air blast causing localised curing around the valve, as indeed can overzealous or repeated inflation with any pump or compressor. I expect after a few days or weeks the concentration of solvent will have reduced and the curing process will become quicker.

If I'm careful enough to park the last puncture at the bottom every time I park the sealant seems to work, but yesterday there were two fresh punctures in the rear about 60 degrees apart. I am currently carring a paint pen with me to mark the tyres for parking!

I am just not trusting this stuff enough to set of on a 300K ride with many control points - I would get pissed off re inflating the tyres at every control point and expect anyone riding with me to get equally pissed off or to do a runner.

I have run out of time to get this bike sorted to a satisfactory level of psychological comfort, and haven't prepared any of the rest of the fleet to a standard I would be happy - it's more about holding everybody else up than concern about limping home/bailing out.

« Reply #3189 on: 12 July, 2018, 03:43:31 pm »
Come along on the TT bike with your pointy helmet....you'll be back from Breakfast! ;D

BFC

« Reply #3190 on: 12 July, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »

The Hereward the Curry email suggested most of those up for curry were ACME - any other takers for a pre-curry pootle?

What is the ETA and preferred location to meet up in/from Witham? Home is north east side of Witham. I should be able to manage a ride to Dunmow and back with a curry, free cursing of tubeless tyres for anyone that wants to listen. Carrying the big pump and spare sealant of course.

BFC

« Reply #3191 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
Come along on the TT bike with your pointy helmet....you'll be back from Breakfast! ;D

Would that be the TT bike with tubular tyres on at the moment?....... At least they are gatorskins!

« Reply #3192 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:14:41 pm »

What is the ETA and preferred location to meet up in/from Witham? Home is north east side of Witham. I should be able to manage a ride to Dunmow and back with a curry, free cursing of tubeless tyres for anyone that wants to listen. Carrying the big pump and spare sealant of course.
How about the corner of the B1018 and Station Road down to White Notely at about 17:50ish?

BFC

« Reply #3193 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:35:28 pm »

How about the corner of the B1018 and Station Road down to White Notely at about 17:50ish?

So meet at the junction of Station Rd / Witham Rd (B1018), about 1/3 mile North West of Cressing Temple about 17:50 if I understand correctly. I assume we will be heading off down Station Rd to White Notly - that's sort of Dunmow direction.

« Reply #3194 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »
Yep,perfect. That is the plan via White Notley - Banister Green - Felsted - Little Dunmow then up through Dunmow Proper

*I'm going to make it up as I go so who knows where we might end up!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3195 on: 13 July, 2018, 12:07:57 pm »
Just spottd this:  https://spokeshirts.co.uk/products/do-my-own-stunts-t-shirt

Perfect for carlosfandango, I think
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

BFC

« Reply #3196 on: 15 July, 2018, 08:48:03 pm »
Gave up with Stan's no tubes  (AKA Schwalbe Doc Blue), ran out of sealant in the tyres.

I used tubular sealant (TUFO Extreme, old stock for the tubular tyres that was beyond use by date), and have confirmed it works at "high" pressure  (above 20psi). Found four old punctures in one tyre that Doc Blue had "sealed" that blew out at 40psi plus.

Shame Tufo Extreme only works after a puncture and for a few days after, the latex coating of the legs and patio is instantaneous and effective at 95psi, also good for leg hair removal.

Still looking for a long term/real world solution.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3197 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:33:39 pm »
Inner tubes??
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3198 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:37:30 pm »
Inner tubes??

;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3199 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:38:59 pm »
Cafe latex.....
Regards,

Joergen