Author Topic: The Audax Year  (Read 5821 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
The Audax Year
« on: 14 August, 2020, 11:14:49 am »

Has the Audax year been quietly moved to now finish at the end of October and match the ACP year.

Is this the case?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: The Audax Year
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:25:25 am »
Yes (not quietly though).

See last paragraph here:

https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-13-august-2020/

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:30:06 am »
Just moving back to where it once was!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:48:36 am »
Just moving back to where it once was!

Indeed - with a suggestion it will offered as a motion at the AGM to make the move permanent.

Anyway - good stuff and good to see the longer stuff back on in perm form at least.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:54:02 am »
Perms will keep the hardcore audaxers happy enough and calendar brevets can be introduced in an appropriate manner to suit circumstances.

Changing the season end date is pragmatic for this year and allows the possibility of AUK realigning with every other organisation again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:23:56 pm »
Apart from anything else no-one will want a 'short' season next year so hopefully it will stick.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »

Excellent news. Now if they can just increase the number of BRMs...

Thanks all.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:32:23 pm »
Excellent news. Now if they can just increase the number of BRMs...
I agree: excellent news - and opportunity to ECE calendar 300s (if/when organised) from next month.
Who is "they" and how many BRMs do you think is a reasonable target? Was the number of BRMs in 2019 inadequate?
The range of audaxes from 50 to 200 and beyond, BRM or not, seems a key strength of Audax UK and serves a wide range of riders of all ages, genders and other categorizations, and provides a pathway to longer rides, home or abroad. You have articulated the argument for BRM status for rides before, but the BR/BRM distinction matters very little to the vast majority of riders, except the year before a leap year (and Audax UK deal splendidly with that special requirement every 4 years).

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2020, 07:38:35 am »
I sometimes get complaints about my BRMs, something to do with 'bonus' kilometres ... Unless it's a DIY by gps, it will be hard to get the ridden distance spot-on, at least without sticking to main-roady minumum distances.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The Audax Year
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:25:38 am »
Now if they can just increase the number of BRMs...

To what end?

It’s up to individual organisers whether to make their rides BR or BRM. I changed mine to BR because i could see no benefit to it being BRM. But I’m open to being persuaded otherwise.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:39:05 am »
Are multi day events counted on the day they start or end? The reason I ask is that October 31st is a Saturday and if I start a 600km on that day will it count as 2020 or 2021?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:55:20 am »
The day you start the brevet is the AUK standard now. Many years ago, you had to have finished your brevet by midnight on the last day of the season but no more.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2020, 01:08:04 pm »
The day you start the brevet is the AUK standard now.

Just for clarity, for RRTY in 2017, LEL could be counted as either a July or August ride. So there may be some exceptions, but I would not expect a 600km starting in October 2020 to be able to be counted for the next season.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #13 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:36:47 am »
The day you start the brevet is the AUK standard now.

Just for clarity, for RRTY in 2017, LEL could be counted as either a July or August ride. So there may be some exceptions, but I would not expect a 600km starting in October 2020 to be able to be counted for the next season.
I am looking at dates for completing SR in 2020 and can now include that weekend for the 600 options.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2020, 12:50:07 pm »
The day you start the brevet is the AUK standard now. Many years ago, you had to have finished your brevet by midnight on the last day of the season but no more.

Due to a confusion in some minds as to which day 'midnight' belongs to, we used to give events with a midnight start a start time of 23:59.  ::-)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Ben T

« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2020, 03:35:14 pm »

Due to a confusion in some minds as to which day 'midnight' belongs to, we used to give events with a midnight start a start time of 23:59.  ::-)

Didn't Theresa may get confused about that  ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2020, 08:51:53 pm »
Now if they can just increase the number of BRMs...

To what end?

Some people are chasing ACP awards, which includes distance over and above the required number of SRs, PBP and Arrow, it's a bit crap that in the UK for 2 years out of the 4 and at worst 4 out of 6 you have to go hunting for them in a calendar of non-counters.

That said...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »

Ah!  You have just answered a long standing puzzle.  I've just dug out my Brevet cards* for the Plains 300 of 2000, 2001 and 2002 to check that they all had 00:01 as the start time, when quite "obviously" they were intended to have a midnight start time.  So these were all Sunday events, not Saturday!  After this date, I had a break from this event until 2008, by which point the start time had become 23:00, I think because we lost the use of the café willing to stay open that late.  We probably out-grew the parking capacity anyway.

* I have an almost complete collection from 29 seasons of Audaxing, all in date order in a shoe box.  There aren't that many filed under 2019-2020.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
Some people are chasing ACP awards...

Of course! I'd forgotten about that (though it has of course come up in previous discussions of the subject).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2020, 02:55:41 pm »
Just looking at my maths.
I'm on 8767 BRM Kms
I still need to ride
another 1000
a 1200+ that isn't PBP
and an SR600

But I made decent use of 2018 and 2019 and have til 2023 to get ACP R10000 done, this year being a write off for 2 reasons though means I'll be dipping into PBP'23 time for longer rides to get it done.

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #20 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:39:13 pm »

* I have an almost complete collection from 29 seasons of Audaxing, all in date order in a shoe box.  There aren't that many filed under 2019-2020.

Ditto for 31 years---complete collection of brevet cards and route sheets.

I did raise the year end topic at the AGM near Peterborough a couple of years back---it makes sense and feels natural  to end the AUK year as the hour changes.  There seemed to be a groundswell of support for this at the meeting.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #21 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:49:44 pm »
Just looking at my maths.
I'm on 8767 BRM Kms
I still need to ride
another 1000
a 1200+ that isn't PBP
and an SR600

But I made decent use of 2018 and 2019 and have til 2023 to get ACP R10000 done, this year being a write off for 2 reasons though means I'll be dipping into PBP'23 time for longer rides to get it done.
I'm not sure on my brm totals,  but I know I have 2x full series plus 2 more 300s and two more 400s, plus pbp plus arrow, so i need another lrm ride and the sr600.

Earliest counting ride is may 2017, so a have a while left. Attempting the SR600 at the weekend, leaving just the wait for long brevets to return, hopefully next summer

Eddington  127miles, 170km

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 10 November, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »
I have an ECE related query;

If a calendar event is weather postponed until the next AUK season does it count for the previous or the new season?
If the event in question is the one I believe it to be then the results appear in season 2020.

Theres some weird shit going on with the names on the results list too.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:11:33 pm »
If it's this event, then it seems to have been recorded as it's original planned date, not the actual date.

Yes, dunno why everyone has gone incognito.

Deeside Dawdle Finishers List by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #24 on: 11 November, 2020, 08:27:57 am »
If it's this event, then it seems to have been recorded as it's original planned date, not the actual date.

Yes, dunno why everyone has gone incognito.

Deeside Dawdle Finishers List by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

My guess is that the unnamed riders hadn't ridden any other events in the 2020 season and as it was processed during 2021 season. The automatic calculating scripts that run to tally results haven't gone and pulled names verus the membership numbers. Notice how the points haven't been added to your 2020 total, which usually does happen about 24hrs after the provisional results post up.