Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126446 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Having been in one that fell out of the sky the next day (22 dead, gearbox failed in the cruise on the way back from offshore) I can only agree with you.  There is no way you would get me in one as a recreational activity, and I had a serious internal dialogue before getting back in one for work.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Bah!
Salford beat Newpot County 6-5 on penalties to go to the EFL Cup final. Financial doping!!!

In other more amusing news, if you type "empty seats" into google maps, it takes you to the Etihad. :)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Also makes me wonder why they are planning on letting kids execute a skill without getting any training or practise on it.
They should just play futsal and be done.

Or follow the example of Walter WIgmore (25/2/1873* - 1931), whose professional career lasted 20 years. According to his wiki entry,
He was often penalised for dangerous play due to his unusual reluctance to head the ball, preferring to use his feet however high the ball came to him
In other words, if anyone's getting brain damage as a result of this high ball, it's not going to be me.

* Happy Birthday Walter.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Poster girl that played some tennis not as good without the drugs, it turned out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/51647687
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Poster girl that played some tennis not as good without the drugs, it turned out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/51647687
"played some tennis"?!? That's a bit harsh!

... winning 36 singles titles and earning more than $38m (£29m) in prize money.
That's PRIZE money, not endorsement deals, modelling etc.

I assumed you meant Kournikova, or the OTHER tennis poster girl - you know which one I mean!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

I assumed you meant Kournikova, or the OTHER tennis poster girl - you know which one I mean!

She got a bum deal compared with the Russians.

IGMC...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-12833580
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Strava cheats

There is an April running badge for 5km.
When you complete it, you are seen a table of fastest times.

This includes multiple people who have over 10km this month at an average pace of 2min 30s

That's faster than the world record for 10km

Either they are amazing undiscovered athletes or riding a bicycle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

There's always a little lag for those to get removed. People start an activity using the app and fail to notice it's set to run, and there's no incentive for the original person to fix it.

Strava go through and clean up stuff like that every so often.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

today I found out that my old PE teacher became one of the very few (206 according to wiki) people to have run a marathon on all 7 continents.

It isn't surprising that he would do such a thing, but I was surprised to realise that he was only 27 when I moved to senior school and he taught us. Thought of him as middle-aged and he is only 14 years older than me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
That's what running marathons does for you...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Recently I've been watching a few Premier League matches 'live' thanks to my son's South American River of Evil Prime account (I'd like to see Liverpool v Spurs tonight but he's going out). What has struck me is the distinctive way all the pundits in the punditry box hold their microphones. Instead of using desk mics or clip-ons, like most shows would do, they all have hand-held mics which they clasp right in an identical pose: dead vertical, right in front of their chest. Like a pint glass, it strikes me. I'm not sure whether they pint-glass pose is deliberate as a blokey pubby footy thingy, or more likely it's to do with displaying logos. They must be instructed on it though, it's so uniform.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pinch yourself Andrij, the Browns are in the Playoffs!!

And the Eagles are doing their best to annoy everyone it's possible to annoy. If they beat Washington, the Giants would go to the playoffs, so they sat a bunch of starters, went for it on 4th and goal when down 17-14, then benched the QB for the 3rd choice who promptly threw an interception and gave up a fumble. That they only lost 20-14 (at home) was basically down to Washington not having an offense. Eagles fans are annoyed, Giants fans are furious (after going 6-10 they think they should be in the playoffs!  ::-) ), and all the quarterbacks are confused. Plus the head coach (who made most of those baffling decisions) is staying, but the defensive co-ordinator (who everyone likes) is leaving. God knows what they are gonna do with the 6th pick in the draft.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Arf  :)

ETA: I just thought that being as it's sportsball they could've made the headline "Crosby, thrills, cash and bung".

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/10/crawley-leeds-fa-cup-match-report

Just in case there's someone who doesn't want to know the result...

(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Normal service has now been resumed, but on 19 minutes, the score was Austria 0 - 1 Faeroe Islands.

Cudzoziemiec

North Korea has announced the withdrawal of their team from the Tokyo Olympics, citing "protection of athletes from the world crisis caused by COVID-19".

Cudzoziemiec

Cudzoziemiec

With the Manchesters City and Untied through to the finals of the Champions and Europa League, I'm wondering if it's ever happened before that two clubs from one city have progressed to these finals in the same year? For instance, Real and Atletico, Milan and Inter, or, let's say, Nottingham Forest and Notts County? Okay, maybe not that last one...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
With the Manchesters City and Untied through to the finals of the Champions and Europa League, I'm wondering if it's ever happened before that two clubs from one city have progressed to these finals in the same year? For instance, Real and Atletico, Milan and Inter, or, let's say, Nottingham Forest and Notts County? Okay, maybe not that last one...

Lots of big London clubs, so maybe.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

The only London-based CL winner has been Chelsea in 2012, and the UEFA cup that year was won by Atletico Madrid. So unfortunately not.

But in looking that up I did find that when Ipswich became unlikely UEFA cup winners (1981) the club they beat in the final was called AZ, which stands for Alkmaar Zeneca*.

*Blatant lie.