Author Topic: LEJOG route advice please?  (Read 6113 times)

LEJOG route advice please?
« on: 30 October, 2018, 05:05:51 pm »
Hi!

I hope you are all well.
I am planning on doing LEJOG in 2019, starting in Lands End and finishing up in John o Groats.
I normally cycle 100- 150kms per day / 60 - 95 miles...and am looking for a scenic and quiet route away from heavy traffic...
I generally navigate using Maps.me and use Google maps as a backup.

Would any of you be able to recommend a nice route?
I would appreciate some advice on places to stop and see and any accommodation tips as well!

Thank you for reading...

Dublin Dave.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: LEJOG route advice please?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »
www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

Loads of resources and Journals from previous rides.

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »
Hi Robgul!

Thanks for the response.. I will check out the website you mentioned...

Dublin Dave

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:13:13 am »
Hi!

I hope you are all well.
I am planning on doing LEJOG in 2019, starting in Lands End and finishing up in John o Groats.
I normally cycle 100- 150kms per day / 60 - 95 miles...and am looking for a scenic and quiet route away from heavy traffic...
I generally navigate using Maps.me and use Google maps as a backup.

Would any of you be able to recommend a nice route?
I would appreciate some advice on places to stop and see and any accommodation tips as well!

Thank you for reading...

Dublin Dave.

Why not follow the good old CTC's excellent advice:
https://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/routes/route/1854/map

Great, cheers CTC!  :thumbsup: Never would have thought of going that way ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:42:25 pm »

Rob

Mostly dead links though :)

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2018, 03:52:27 pm »
Why not follow the good old CTC's excellent advice:
https://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/routes/route/1854/map

Great, cheers CTC!  :thumbsup: Never would have thought of going that way ;D

Well, it kind of works if you follow the instructions and log in. (The map never displays but I can download the GPX file and look at that ok.)

(It's a bit of an odd route, it only uses the A9 to cross the Moray Firth.) 1591.7km.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »

Rob

Mostly dead links though :)

Just to qualify that ..... "The Journals" section (i.e. content added since the C-E2E site was launched) doesn't have many dead links.  These only occur where the content owner has not maintained the URL for their content - many of the links on the Cycle-EndtoEnd site are to external resource, some are pdfs hosted on the main site.

The "BIG LIST" is simply a copy of the old "Ultimate Links" website that ceased in about 2008 (as is explained in the intro text) - and yes there are quite a few dead links (same reason as The Journals section)  On balance it seemed worthwhile to leave it online as there are some nuggets there.

For all that, if you take the time to look there is loads of useful stuff to inspire and assist the planning process.

Rob

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »

Rob
there is also the "chat" that goes with that: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »
the cyclinguk forum for lejog was a great resource at one point and it still seems to be ok

i was suprised my old login still worked

« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:59:23 pm »
Gents , thank you for the responses... I will check out the CTC Map for sure Ben T...

« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:02:17 pm »
Ben T... unfortunately you have to be a member of ctc to download or view the map of LEJOG?!

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:38:49 pm »
 ::-) you can view the route map as it is. Might have to swim some of the route though....  never mind,  I though it was quite funny  :D::-)

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:09:35 am »
There's so much choice, unless you really dislike route planning you might be better off devising your own to appeal to your interests and style of cycling. 
Through a large part between Devon and Scotland, the major choice is which side of the hills you go, Cotswolds, Peak District, Pennines.
West and staying in England is the shortest and fastest route, it's also the most urban and IMO the least scenic.
Staying West and going into Wales adds plenty of scenery and not really very much distance, you still have a fair bit of urban landscape to negotiate when you leave Wales behind.
Love hills?  Go straight up the middle, see the best of the country and tick off some classic climbs.  Or with a bit off careful planning, you could avoid the roads with the steepest gradients and still have plenty of scenery, have a look at the Pennine Cycle Way as an example.   
Going East adds a bit of mileage and is probably the least common option, if you want an easier ride with very little urban to navigate and as flat as you'll find it's still worth considering.   
I chose East, it was an additional 120 miles to the Western route I considered, which over the  time wasn't a significant increase in the daily mileage.  If I did it again, I'd be tempted to take a bit longer and go straight up the middle.
Scotland has a similar set of options - Island hopping, East, Central, West, though the pros and cons aren't so clear cut.

Ben T

« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:48:44 am »
I used LeJog to test my routing algorithms, which are intended for long distance cycle route planning.
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/BenTaylor/LeJogAlternatives
Shortest is just that, the shortest route, so probably not the way you would choose to go. It goes through the centre of devon and cornwall which probably involves more hills which the others avoid.
Optimum is probably a reasonable all rounder, and is the best at avoiding main roads.
Quickest is (just) hill-averse enough to avoid the cairngorms in favour of the A82, but turns off as soon as it can.

Urban is not intended for long distance routes so I haven't included it, but if you have to go through a city is useful for picking the 'simplest' route.

« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:15:58 am »
Below is my LEJOG I did with Threshold Sports in 2014 (Ride Across Britain).  Feel free to download and review. Some good choice of route here as we had Andy Cook (of Andy Cooke Cycling) as head of logistics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21c1hg2pqcdqtup/Ride%20Across%20Britain%20-%206th%20-%2014th%20September%202014.gpx?dl=0

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:30:40 am »
That's ours.

http://peter.chesspod.com/lejog/

I plotted everything in advance before I had a GPS receiver. Typed route sheets, pages torn out of the Philips Navigator Road Atlas, daily ride reports phoned to our son who keyed them in for the beneficiaries of this forum's predecessor. Exciting times!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:20:23 pm »
Ben T... I think I will need a kayak to do part of that ctc route...
Paul H, Nothereforafastime & Ben T, thank you for your advice and posting routes.. I appreciate it!
I don’t mind adding a few hundred Kms extra for quieter roads and more scenery...

Any thoughts on starting at JOG or in LE?!
Pros and cons to both I imagine..

Also any thoughts on doing this solo?! A few mates are interested but with wives, kids etc I cannot depend on them joining me... !

I got a route off a gent named David Piper.. he was mentioned in a Travelling Two Article on Lejog...I am trying to copy the image of the route.. but can’t attach the image!!

Dublin Dave

« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »

I would start at LE as then you get over the worst of the climbing in the first few days.  The Mendip and Quantock Hills through Somerset don't take any prisoners!   The Scottish hills on the other hand tend to be longer but not as steep. 

I've done it both ways and I definitely prefer LEJOG as opposed to JOGLE (plus I think 'Lands End to John O'Groats' rolls off the tongue better!)

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »

To give the opposite argument, and subjective entirely, but personally I find JoG, like most of the rest of Caithness, a bit of a barren place. Not quite as good a 'destination' as LE.
When I got there I thought ... is this it?
It is also more likely to be raining than in cornwall.

« Reply #19 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »

When I got there I thought ... is this it?

Ah but if you do it with Threshold Sports there is the added benefit of a decent crowd of cheering supporters on your arrival at JOG, an inflatable finish line, hot showers, massage, food, coach home plus a nice, shiny medal thrown in for good measure ;)

« Reply #20 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Hi! Yea, I see the prevailing wind is a South Westerly.. so this would aid a LEJOG route..
I heard about the hills in the south and then the worsening weather as you head north,,

It is interesting about the non descript end to LEJOG... I have experienced this before on other tours.. you get there and expect fireworks, panoramic views etc.. and sometimes it can be a little underwhelming!!

But saying that it’s often the journey to this end point that means more...

Have any of you camped on the LEJOG route?

I am planning to hostel, air b nb it... and get comfy nights of sleep!!

Dublin Dave.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:04:26 pm »

Ah but if you do it with Threshold Sports there is the added benefit of a decent crowd of cheering supporters on your arrival at JOG, an inflatable finish line, hot showers, massage, food, coach home plus a nice, shiny medal thrown in for good measure ;)
That sounds bloody awful.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
Wowbanger, how was the part of your ride up along the West Coast of Scotland?
It looks rugged and wild...and I imagine you had to catch a few ferries?

DD

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #23 on: 01 November, 2018, 08:56:47 pm »
It goes through the centre of devon and cornwall which probably involves more hills which the others avoid.

You can't avoid the hills in Devon.  Enjoy them

« Reply #24 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:38:24 am »
Wowbanger, how was the part of your ride up along the West Coast of Scotland

;D