Author Topic: AUK post-2021 lockdown?  (Read 12837 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
AUK post-2021 lockdown?
« on: 22 February, 2021, 05:41:52 pm »
So Boris' road-map is out there - albeit with some big "provisionally"s on there - anyone brave enough to deduce the likely AUk timetable for re-opening?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Geriatricdolan

Re: AUK post-2021 lockdown?
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2021, 06:04:37 pm »
June 21 events back to normal?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2021, 06:40:21 pm »
Board discussing tonight.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
June 21 events back to normal?
Solstice night-ride anyone? Maybe a 300 starting at 00:01H?

21st is a Monday, which might dent entry numbers - but then who the heck will be working that day?? ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:47:51 pm »
I guess in theory perms could be allowed from march 29th :demon:

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2021, 06:21:05 am »
It's mainly about calendar events.
I have about 100 riders carried over from last year... if events are still limited to 30 entrants in the late spring, then I might as well refund them all, or run it as x rated for AUK members only, which are about 30.

I don't know, in fairness over the last 12 months I have completely lost the mojo, both the organising one, but even the riding one... haven't done a ride exceeding 100 km since... well, we have to go back to December 2019. 200 km right now seems an exceedingly long way, last 200 km ride was September 2019, last 300 was April 2019.

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:46:34 am »
I guess in theory perms could be allowed from march 29th :demon:
With the proviso that the date depends on data  :facepalm: (but exactly what data/metrics/thresholds are left for 'judgement') the 'no earlier than' 29 March possible restriction level does align with last year's August regime. So in theory, that would suggest permanents up to 300k could run, with max 6 riding together.

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:36:54 am »

I don't know, in fairness over the last 12 months I have completely lost the mojo

Me too, although in my case it’s not so much the long rides that lost their appeal but the straitjacket of rides that were multiples of 100k (and I do appreciate that that’s a straitjacket that exists within my own head only). During the non-lockdowned period last summer I developed three different routes all of roughly 250km with a goal of working towards an Eddington number of 150 rather than targeting Audax points. I enjoyed that distance - and those routes - so much it’s hard to see myself doing differently this summer.
Eddington Number = 132

bairn again

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2021, 10:33:23 am »
I believe the announcement for England yesterday had a "no earlier than" caveat applied so there's that to to take into account as well as inevitable intra UK variations. 

My guess is that here in Scotland we will probably have to wait longer than rUK to get into pubs and restaurants but that we might be quicker on outdoor exercise. 

That said it appears that Scotland will apply  different levels 1-4 in each local authority area which could add further variations (we're all Level 4 just now and have been since 26/12/2020).       

However, yacf is nothing without some ill informed speculation so my guess -

Solo 200 DIYs would be back in the 1st half of April, followed by a gradual easing of distance and participants so that full bhuna calendar events would be back by the end June.

Whatever happens, Im glad Ive not made the same mistake I did last year by being so woefully unfit when the flag dropped in August that I didn't have the heart for anything more than a flat 300, and even that was something of a struggle.     

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2021, 10:40:48 am »
This is probably the model that I would suggest.

Phase 1.  Allowance of DIYs and Perms from 29th March in alignment to the relaxation of sporting regulation. Rides limited to six persons or fewer.

Phase 2. Allowance of calendar events from 17th May in alignment to AUK's regs on restricted event numbers of thirty riders and staggered start times as previously deployed by AUK.

Phase 3. Allowance of full calendar events without restriction from 21st June. Back to business as normal.

It is probably reasonable to assume that both Scottish and Welsh governments will follow a broadly similar trajectory minus policy detail.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Redlight

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2021, 02:34:30 pm »
The following statement has now been posted on the AUK forum:

The UK Government announced its roadmap out of lockdown on the 22nd of February.

The announcement only applies to England.  We will update our guidance for the other nations of the UK following their respective announcements.

AUK is able to re-commence the validation of events of up to 300km that take place solely within England from the 29th of March.  This applies to calendar and permanent events.

Permanent events will initially be limited to 6 participants per event route each day until the 17th May or, if later, the start of Step 3 when it will increase to 30.  Permanent events of up to 600km will also be validated from the start of Step 3.

Calendar and permanent events of any length will be validated from the 21st of June or, if later, the start of Step 4.

AUK organisers should contact their regional delegate for further guidance.

All events will be subject to the guidance and behaviour codes published at audax.uk.  Riders will remain responsible for their own compliance with applicable guidance and legislation.  In particular, riders should be aware of any restrictions on travel which will apply to travel to and from events other than by bike.

« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:21:57 pm »
Thanks Redlight.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:13:30 pm »
Yup, thanks Redlight. And a very prompt response from the Committee.

(but have they heard of "hyperlinks"? They're all the rage on the Interweb, guys, you're gonna luv 'em!)

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=2032.msg16253#msg16253
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Redlight

« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:25:59 pm »

(but have they heard of "hyperlinks"? They're all the rage on the Interweb, guys, you're gonna luv 'em!)

They have - but not everyone here is an AUK member and can access the forum  ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:53:47 pm »
Ah, then I shall bring further glad tidings; you can post a link, AND some key text, all in the same place! Tis a wondrous thing, t'internet :)

(e.g. on Facebook, where Mr Auk Sec posted earlier today. It's like he doesn't actually WANT people to stray off Facebook into the sunlit uplands of the AUK website ...)

a nice example here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=118075.msg2581158#msg2581158
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2021, 10:08:06 pm »
so to confirm; it's perms only in England from 29.3? I have a calendar slated after that date (just)

AUK is able to re-commence the validation of events of up to 300km that take place solely within England from the 29th of March. This applies to calendar and permanent events

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 23 February, 2021, 11:25:18 pm »
I believe the announcement for England yesterday had a "no earlier than" caveat applied so there's that to to take into account as well as inevitable intra UK variations. 

My guess is that here in Scotland we will probably have to wait longer than rUK to get into pubs and restaurants but that we might be quicker on outdoor exercise. 

That said it appears that Scotland will apply  different levels 1-4 in each local authority area which could add further variations (we're all Level 4 just now and have been since 26/12/2020).       

Solo 200 DIYs would be back in the 1st half of April, followed by a gradual easing of distance and participants so that full bhuna calendar events would be back by the end June.

Whatever happens, Im glad Ive not made the same mistake I did last year by being so woefully unfit when the flag dropped in August that I didn't have the heart for anything more than a flat 300, and even that was something of a struggle.   

I've just skimmed through the document and it made no mention of sport, but then it only briefly discussed that the trigger data and scope of the Levels will change somewhat and discussed the trigger data by mapping the 5 levels to WHO guidance, and said there's another paper coming.
So with any luck the Sports restrictions will allow events in Level 2, the problem is getting cases low enough to be in Level 2 might be tricky for the more populous areas (IIRC one managed it and was put back up to L3 the following week); problem for organizers then is if you can run an event using roads in L2 and avoiding controls in L3... where are your riders going to come from. Urgh!

« Reply #17 on: 23 February, 2021, 11:56:01 pm »
so to confirm; it's perms only in England from 29.3? I have a calendar slated after that date (just)

AUK is able to re-commence the validation of events of up to 300km that take place solely within England from the 29th of March. This applies to calendar and permanent events
https://audax.uk/news/covid-update-23-february-2021/
Why are you trying to confirm what it doesn't say? Calendar events taking place on or after 29 March will be validated.
"All events will be subject to the guidance and behaviour codes published at audax.uk" (no link offered but https://audax.uk/static-data/covid-19-resumption-of-events-guidance-and-behaviour-codes/ but maybe with Feb 2021 amendments).
Hope you run yours and it goes well.

bairn again

« Reply #18 on: 24 February, 2021, 10:04:56 am »

I've just skimmed through the document and it made no mention of sport, but then it only briefly discussed that the trigger data and scope of the Levels will change somewhat and discussed the trigger data by mapping the 5 levels to WHO guidance, and said there's another paper coming.
So with any luck the Sports restrictions will allow events in Level 2, the problem is getting cases low enough to be in Level 2 might be tricky for the more populous areas (IIRC one managed it and was put back up to L3 the following week); problem for organizers then is if you can run an event using roads in L2 and avoiding controls in L3... where are your riders going to come from. Urgh!

Yes me too, I had a read through https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-strategic-framework-update-february-2021/ last night and it doesn't say very much on sport or exercise. 

We saw from last year that Scotland is unlikley to deviate by very much or for very long v. England so I'm working towards a similar timetable. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2021, 12:46:37 pm »

Yes me too, I had a read through https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-strategic-framework-update-february-2021/ last night and it doesn't say very much on sport or exercise. 

We saw from last year that Scotland is unlikley to deviate by very much or for very long v. England so I'm working towards a similar timetable. 

Aye, based on the way hospitalizations have plunged in the last couple of weeks I'm reasonably confident we'll batter through process, unlike in the Autumn when it ground to a halt.
Then again to some extent we're lucky the "Kent" variant that is all pervasive is still in scope for the vaccines, it could have been on of the others with significant enough variation to be back at square 1  and which could still happen... :shudder:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 27 February, 2021, 12:22:02 pm »

Does this mean a DIY can be done on the 29th of March? Or would it have to wait for the 30th?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #21 on: 27 February, 2021, 05:06:45 pm »
You're in the Netherlands, you can do a DIY now.

At least, that is my understanding; the DIY I rode on January 24 still has "provisional" status and the one from last weekend doesn't show in my ride history yet, but that hasn't stopped me from registering another one for tomorrow.

« Reply #22 on: 27 February, 2021, 05:50:03 pm »
In England,  from the 29th or thats my understanding from the auk statement.

« Reply #23 on: 04 March, 2021, 12:22:58 pm »
Does anyone know when we'll be able to enter calendar events?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 04 March, 2021, 12:35:22 pm »

They have - but not everyone here is an AUK member and can access the forum  ;D

Plus you sometimes get abuse from people who don't understand how the internet works for inappropriately sharing TOP SEEKRIT need-to-know Audax information.