Author Topic: digital vernier callipers  (Read 10600 times)

Re: digital vernier callipers
« Reply #75 on: 24 November, 2019, 09:31:49 pm »
As a general rule, don't touch Draper tools.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #76 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:28:11 pm »
They might have been once but there main business these days is sticking their logo on imported TSOs.

Much like Record, Marples, Britool and a host of others:(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #77 on: 25 November, 2019, 05:23:28 pm »
They might have been once but there main business these days is sticking their logo on imported TSOs.

My 40 year old Britool spanners are probably ok, then. Phew.

« Reply #78 on: 25 November, 2019, 05:51:59 pm »

My 40 year old Britool spanners are probably ok, then. Phew.

Yup they will be fine :) I have a lovely big set from the early 80s that my Dad gave me.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris N

« Reply #79 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:12:47 am »
<slight thread reheating ...>

Draper do a CF version of their 6" product which is way cheaper than the normal one:
https://www.drapertools.com/product/24816/150mm-or-6inch-Carbon-Fibre-Digital-Caliper-Gauge

I'd never heard of CF being used for jaws/parts before - there MUST be a drawback if they are so much cheaper. Surely??

The only carbon fibre in those calipers is the material used in the injection moulded nylon jaws.

Filler such as glass or carbon fibre is added (in the form of small beads or short lengths of chopped filament) to the plastic before moulding to change the material properties.  Usually for increased stiffness, but it is also slightly cheaper than pure nylon.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:52:08 pm »
<slight thread reheating ...>

Draper do a CF version of their 6" product which is way cheaper than the normal one:
https://www.drapertools.com/product/24816/150mm-or-6inch-Carbon-Fibre-Digital-Caliper-Gauge

I'd never heard of CF being used for jaws/parts before - there MUST be a drawback if they are so much cheaper. Surely??

The only carbon fibre in those calipers is the material used in the injection moulded nylon jaws.

Filler such as glass or carbon fibre is added (in the form of small beads or short lengths of chopped filament) to the plastic before moulding to change the material properties.  Usually for increased stiffness, but it is also slightly cheaper than pure nylon.

:thumbsup:
Ta!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles