Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019  (Read 30184 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« Reply #175 on: 15 July, 2019, 02:10:50 am »
Of course the fire station was closed - possibly because they had had to attend to a massive haystack fire just north of Castle Hedingham, but also possibly because they had run out of food.
I dunno what it was like when you came past, but when I came past it was a tremendous conflagration - I could see the orange glow against the plume of smoke miles away. I was looking for a landmark of some sort to be able to describe the place to the Fire Brigade, but passed a side road blocked off with cones with flashing blue lights, so knew they were aware.

I did wonder if you'd run into some kind of go juice trouble. It's always miserable, that, when the food places are closing before you get there. I hit one or two like that, but no more.
Although we had been delayed, I didn't feel that we were nearly slow enough to be the lanternes rouges, but later, whilst at the Flora café, Kim was speculating about the fact that these days there are very few genuine BSOs on the ride., so it is quite possibly that the ride is populated by more accomplished cyclists than used to be the case.
Even where I was, most of the people left around me would be faster but had some kind of navigational problem - usually no routesheet and separated from a friend with GPS. I ended up offering to let them take phone photos of the last page of the routesheet.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #176 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:52:34 am »
Any views on whether the crowd was bigger or smaller than recent years?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #177 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:07:47 am »
Smaller but set off earlier.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #178 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:09:52 am »
It's hard to tell because you see completely different groups of people if you're even a few minutes ahead or behind, and there are far more separate food stops than in the past.

But I'd say maybe a bit thinner it has been - there was no queue in Torque Bikes and they were saying they'd had a quieter evening than expected.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #179 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:23:10 am »
I think we were the lanternes rouges. I did see a woman turn up at the beach wearing hi-viz but she looked much too fresh to have ridden 100 miles.

Three years ago, when Rebecca and I finished around 1.30, we were packing the bikes in the car when a group we had last seen in Sudbury turned up. They were not the youngest, and the bloke had  had an off and he thought he had broken some ribs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #180 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:49:46 am »
Rode this with Sam from work and Ed, a former colleague who retired a couple of years ago.  Sam on 49 x 18 fixed, Ed on a carbon racing bike, me on the Harry Quinn track bike (47 x 18), which is, like me, in its 50th year.  Hadn't done it for seven years, so I 'm a fair bit older and wasn't really sure how this was going to go.

We started from the pub and then walked around the corner for an espresso at Costa.  Then we did the usual main road route to join up with the Lea Bridge Road and avoid the awful "official" route.  That new cyclepath is crap (although mercifully clear of glass, at this point in its life) - cars turning across the side roads caused problems and, of course, cyclists keep losing priority.  A lot of aggro from motons where people had decided to use the road instead - cycle farcilities give them the justification they need to try and push people off the road.  Was glad when the path finished and we could get into some sort of steady rhythm.  My water bottles kept ejecting themselves on bumps and I had to retrieve one from the wrong side of the A104 just after the North Circular roundabout, where the cattle grid launched one at great speed.  Bent the cages to hold them better, which then snapped the cages, so I was having to reach back and check they were still secure every mile or so.  Hanging them off the back of the saddle turns out to be a sub-optimal position for security but my track bike obviously has no bottle bosses, because you don't have bottles on a velodrome.

Got a shout of "you cunts!" from a driver through Epping Forest and an overtaking Audi almost had a head-on collision with a car coming the other way.  All par for the course.  60-70rpm slow through the forest as it wasn't safe to overtake, and nasty chipseal surface.  Also very slow down the hill into North Weald Bassett - someone at the front must have had the brakes on all the way.  When it's too slow downhill for a fixie, it's really slow.

Took the Bovinger diversion after NWB and had the traditional first pee stop at the field.  Saw no-one else this year - it's a fairly well-known road to avoid the terrible pinch point of the official route so we thought numbers must be down.  Joined up again at Moreton but now it was possible to pass people with safety, so we started to speed up.  The Roman road through the Rodings was nice as the fixed gear started to come into its own (apply a bit of power on the ups, let it take your legs and flush out the lactic acid on the downs), and the headwind wasn't noticeable.  Some utter nobber shouted "Elite coming through!" from behind and we almost crashed laughing.  Saw the chap at Dunmow waiting with his stripy track pump.

We did the next bit really fast as the riders had started to thin out a lot (at every pub, we lost several people).  Stormed the hill in Finchingfield as usual, using momentum rather than gears.  The moon came out.  Massive haystack fire between Castle Hedingham and Sudbury.  We pulled in so Sam could check a noise from his bike (probably a bit of gravel going round the mudguard) and a load of cars had pulled in at the same lay-by to look at the fire.

Got into Sudbury and Torque Bikes fitted two new bottle cages to my bike.  Sam and Ed went on to the fire station and I walked around there with the bike in one hand and a coffee in the other.  made friend with a nice little ticked tabby cat on the way.  Fire station stop was well-organised although I couldn't understand the queue for the gents' lavs, when all of Suffolk was out there waiting to be desecrated.  Put cap, arm and knee warmers on.  Finished first flapjack and ate half the second one.

Some local protesters had put drawing pins down at Little Waldingfield but they'd been picked up by the first unfortunate group to encounter them at about 2330 and we went through an hour later.  A camper van followed us respectfully all the way to Bildeston.  I felt bad for the driver as the twats in front continued to occupy the whole width of the road for almost 10 miles.  A vole darted out amongst the tyres but escaped.

Really thinned out over the Wattisham plateau.  Dropped into Needham Market and stopped at the lakes, where the only fare was espresso and/or sausages.  More coffee.  Lost even more riders on the next bit, as they missed turns.  There's no telling them, either.  Warmed up briefly at Gosbeck village hall where Sam wanted a cup of tea (unavailable at the lakes) and I wanted a massage, but couldn't get one.  It was nice to get out of the night air for 20 minutes, though.

Large group from Gosbeck to Helmingham but we were the only ones to take the Framsden turn.  Enjoy the A1120, guys  ::-)  Really quiet now, only occasionally passing or being passed.  Saw a couple of race-fit guys from the Swindon coach on the hill at Cretingham.  Stopped at the Framlingham bus shelter thingy while Ed tightened his STI lever, and chatted to a couple on a tandem who were suffering a bit.  I still felt fresh and (for the first time on this ride) wasn't cramping up.  It's not about the bike, it's about the caffeine and the enitre packet of salty pretzels I ate beforehand.

The Bruisyard lane was gravelly and a bit buttock-clenching in places if you only had a front brake, and so was the Sibton Green climb.  Stopped at the Dunwich 7 sign for a photo, then went at those 7 miles full tilt.  Bottle ejected itself just before the Dunwich sign when I hit a monster pothole, but we needed a pee anyway.  Rode in and dipped wheels in the sea.

For me, this was the easiest one yet, and the only one where I've finished feeling capable of riding further.  Light bike, fixed gear, lots of salt intake beforehand, lots of coffee.  What would put me off returning are that Lea Valley cyclepath and the increasing hostility of locals.  Ironically, the Essex residents - "you cunts!" aside - are the ones that turn out and high-five you, whereas the Suffolk residents are the ones that whinge about noise and bad behaviour on Facebook* and mine the road with pins.  I suppose it's the early hours in Suffolk and they're not used to any passing traffic in the night.  Depressing to see gel wrappers thrown on the road, though - I know they're nasty and sticky to put back in your pocket so EAT SOMETHING ELSE, you twats.

*some very hard to believe.  One lady claims 20 riders all turned up at the same time and pissed in her front garden.  I can't really understand this, since she'd need (a) a massive front garden and (b) it must have been shaped like a massive urinal, with a hand drier and free soap,  to make it more attractive than the miles and miles of empty countryside.  Another claims the noise of riders talking made her dog shit all over the house.  I don't think passing cars are any quieter.

« Reply #181 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
Well done, Wow.
I wasn't on the Dunwich Dynamo but was tootling round Suffolk to raise money for a friend's chosen charity.
I was impressed by the organisation for one group of cyclists for the return to London. Four coaches and a curtainsider arctic full of bikes.

« Reply #182 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:47:32 am »
I rode across from Saffron Walden to join the ride at Great Bardfield as planned. I tried to get a couple of hours kip before leaving but it wasn’t happening so I ended up leaving far earlier than expected, and ended up joining the route just after 9.30. At that time, there were only handful of riders around but I figured at my modest pace, I’d start seeing more as the night went on. Sure enough, after leaving the fire station in Sudbury at around 00:30, I noticed a significant increase in riders.

I saw the big fire with the flashing blue lights out on the ride, but dimly assuming it was one of the pop-up stops on the ride  :-[ I was suffering a bit from the dozies at the point, and it wasn’t until after I stopped again at Needham Market that I had a bit of a second wind which saw me through to the end. I stopped again at Gosbeck Village Hall, where I managed to have a much needed massage, and at a couple of the other smaller stops, before reaching Dunwich at about 4.45. At that time, there was already a big enough queue for the cafe and it had just started raining so I headed to the tea rooms at the other end of the village who had posted on Facebook that they’d be open from 4. There were only a couple of dozen riders there so I sat out the rain over an extended breakfast. At about 6.30, the rain had passed and the sun was starting to appear, so I rode on up to Southwold to join my wife and kids who’d been staying there for the weekend.

I did the ride on my fixed Moulton TSR on a 54/15 gear (about 66”). Only 95 miles in total for me, but it’s my longest ride so far on fixed.

rogerzilla

« Reply #183 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:54:18 am »
Sam saw the fixed Moulton at the beach.  I'm thinking of fixing mine and am only slightly put off by the inevitable pogoing on climbs, since fixies have to be wrestled over hills.  I have the race spring but it makes little difference.

« Reply #184 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:27:08 pm »
I was impressed by the organisation for one group of cyclists for the return to London. Four coaches and a curtainsider arctic full of bikes.

This is the Southwark Cyclists operation. They organise I think *5* separate departures with this many vehicles, carrying about a thousand people.

rogerzilla

« Reply #185 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:36:49 pm »
Although, to be fair, Sam's bike was damaged in the furniture van and so was mine on the one occasion I used the service.

« Reply #186 on: 15 July, 2019, 03:32:24 pm »
Sam saw the fixed Moulton at the beach.  I'm thinking of fixing mine and am only slightly put off by the inevitable pogoing on climbs, since fixies have to be wrestled over hills.  I have the race spring but it makes little difference.
Yes, it’s not the best uphills thanks to the suspension and the weight generally but on Saturday the route was rolling enough that it wasn’t too much of a problem. I would’ve used the Langster but I needed something that could go into the boot of the car alongside a load of luggage without being dismantled  :)

« Reply #187 on: 15 July, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »
If you see someone riding this contraption, or more likely puzzling over it with a soldering iron and a multimeter, do say hello.

I saw you several times and said something admiring at one point, but I'm deaf in my left ear, so if you replied, I didn't hear you! It was spectacular though.

I had a good ride. A little chat with Jurek at the start, set off at about 8:30 and, contrary to a lot of folks here, quite liked the cyclepath through Lea Valley - OK it was impossibly crowded, but at least I was off the road.
I stopped in Epping Forest to sort out rear tyre pressure and from then on it was pretty plain sailing. Moreton was incredibly crowded and I just rolled on until Finchingfield for an overpriced cup of tea from The Fox. I did my usual diversion in Lavenham to use the disabled toilet (luxury!) and then cook a meal in the bus stop facing The Swan, before rejoining the "official" route. My next stop wasn't until Framlingham, where I watched the sub rise over two cups of tea.
Really after this many times doing it I think I might have reached my limit for this ride. It's a fun thing to do, watching silly bikes and people trying something they wouldn't otherwise imagine they could do is nice, but there are nicer places to ride if you have most of a weekend free.

« Reply #188 on: 15 July, 2019, 06:30:59 pm »
Out of interest Alex, how many times have you done the Dun Run?
I ask because, having done it seven times (including four of us doing it on one occasion in October) and, if I'm honest, the lustre (if there ever was one) has faded.
And, as  you say, there are prettier places to ride to at the weekend, which are considerably easier to get home from.

« Reply #189 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:53:01 pm »
I was camping in sweffling just outside Framlingham and could hear a few riders going past. They weren't disturbing I had just been woken up by my eldest and it was quiet

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #190 on: 16 July, 2019, 03:44:48 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scjsb5JWKOs&fbclid=IwAR0ugUS6AccYbY49D4urcXp7nEbF2B7lzr3b2l0_As9WrdNVUuWb9U2LLEE

That's the first video I have seen from this year's Dynamo. It starts to get really good at about 1m 48 s! ;)

Edit: and a little cameo at 1m 26s...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #191 on: 16 July, 2019, 04:35:43 pm »
I've finally made it home from Dunwich.  With no thanks to Achilles tendinitis, seagulls, sands of doom or the lift at Lpoo St. station.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #192 on: 16 July, 2019, 06:06:31 pm »
I've finally made it home from Dunwich.  With no thanks to Achilles tendinitis, seagulls, sands of doom or the lift at Lpoo St. station.

Well done!

Phil W

« Reply #194 on: 16 July, 2019, 07:39:45 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scjsb5JWKOs&fbclid=IwAR0ugUS6AccYbY49D4urcXp7nEbF2B7lzr3b2l0_As9WrdNVUuWb9U2LLEE

That's the first video I have seen from this year's Dynamo. It starts to get really good at about 1m 48 s! ;)

Edit: and a little cameo at 1m 26s...

You and Kim also appear around 1:54

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #195 on: 17 July, 2019, 12:02:45 am »
The Strava Flyby is revealing.  It seems we started relatively late, were passed by the bulk of the group while we stopped for a drink in Moreton, and became more-or-less lanterne rouge due to the stop in Great Bardfield.  The hour or so providing first aid in Sible Hedingham then put a huge gap between us and everyone in front, even without the further slow progress.

Disclaimer:  Strava only shows what Strava shows.  Obvious bias towards the faster and more navigationally-equipped riders.  Getting lost is a traditional way of falling behind on the Dun Run.

rogerzilla

« Reply #196 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:50:30 am »
Did anyone notuce the CDC on a climb?  I think it was just before Gosbeck.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #197 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:09:05 am »
Interesting variety of routes on that Strava. Via St Albans!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #198 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:18:12 am »
Did anyone notuce the CDC on a climb?  I think it was just before Gosbeck.

Ys, I think I did.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #199 on: 18 July, 2019, 09:47:10 pm »
I just added this year's ride to my list of rides in excess of 50 miles. it comes in at number 16, and means that I now have 25 recorded rides in excess of 100 miles. My Eddington number stays at 71.

Interestingly, my average speed of 10.2mph was rather higher than many recent rides. Could be because I have lost 3 stones in weight!