Author Topic: Getting cycling fit again  (Read 54617 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Getting cycling fit again
« Reply #175 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »
I seem to be in a sort of NoMansland.
Obviously I have the ability to ride a bike but it seems to be a real struggle to the degree that there is no enjoyment in it;which in turn discourages regular riding to achieve some degree of fitnes which would allow it to be enjoyable.

A recently-developed niggly knee doesn't help & nor does a lack of enthusiasm due to boredom.
An aborted RRTY campaign has left a lingering sulk too.
A C2C & E2E  (both withG.D) & LEL 2013 remain on the Do-It list but these are cheques my mind is writing, knowing that my body can't cash them.

I am wondering if a rest from it may be beneficial but then the fitness issue would recurr.
I've not yet decided to swap the bikes for a set of golf clubs or a sea kayak but.......

I have,just in case,renewed my AUK membership.

I  certainly need an incentive to ride.Something novel/different.
Hell,I might even join a cycling club :-\

maybe this should be in the "Grumble" thread?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #176 on: 26 March, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »
I have done more riding over the past four weeks than the previous 6 months & noticed that it seems easier getting up a couple of the local lumps than it did last autumn so there appears to be something positive happening.
I have in the past used my Langster fixed at 71" to gauge fitness by riding up one or two specific hills locally.This is not at all scientific but more physcological which translates,for me,into confidence which then feeds my mojo IYSWIM.
I  don't feel quite ready for 71" so this morning fettled the Langster from 63" single speed freewheel to 67" fixed & then had a ride up one of these hills.From Godleybrook upto Dilhorne.It was not as lung busting as I expected.In fact my heart & breathing rate at the top were comfortable.I reckon this results from avoiding a hurry-up technique & using a keep-calm-&- carry-on-steadily method.
Approx 12km.
When I get back to being able to a 100km ride on fixed,as I did last spring, then I will feel that some real progress is being made.
I had forgotten what a difference constant pedalling makes to heat generation.Makes wearing a magic heat even less appealing.
My lower back & shoulders have also reminded me of the contribution they make.
Suprisingly my left knee has done no protesting.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #177 on: 27 August, 2012, 11:34:19 pm »
First time in lycra since the South Bucks Winter Warmer, for a lap of Richmond Park. Thankfully I've all winter to get fit again!

« Reply #178 on: 29 August, 2012, 12:32:07 am »
After tripping up (ahem..on the way from the pub to the station..) and falling heavily on one knee back in march, I'm now back cycling (and surprisingly on the mtb too - my neck usually gives me grief). Bizarrely the first day cycling I seemed to have lots of leg speed, since then - knackered everytime. Mebbe back on the 'bent for the rest of the week, I'm used to that feelng like a leg-press session..

« Reply #179 on: 30 August, 2012, 09:47:22 am »
My personal experience is that after the Bank holiday has gone ,I tend to relax a bit too much and suffer the consequnces in spring.
This is naturally the time for the body to store up fat ready for winter.
Rides get shorter due to poorer weather and evenings are drawing in as well. The recent wet weather hasn't helped either, I only managed one days cycling over the BH (but it was 100k of very good quality)
I might try to do a 200 to give me a base for winter and optimism for spring.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #180 on: 30 August, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
I only managed one days cycling over the BH (but it was 100k of very good quality)

One day only for me too & only 50-odd km

I might try to do a 200 to give me a base for winter and optimism for spring.

I have promised myself a 200km ride in Sept. & Oct. but very often my promises are made of pie crusts ::-)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #181 on: 31 August, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
Three laps this morning but silly gearing on the bike makes the 'climbs' hard work.