Author Topic: Getting cycling fit again  (Read 54614 times)

Re: Getting cycling fit again
« Reply #50 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:07:06 pm »
Yes, but you're dancing and swimming and I know not what!

The only exercise I'm getting at the moment can't be discussed in polite company ;)

I dance twice a week and swim twice a week at the moment.   I do the 'not in polite company' more than twice a week but we shall not take that bit any further  :o

What I have started doing is walking about generally more and eating more Montezumas chocolate!   

I was being a little serious.  If you put pressure on yourself you will only feel pressure.  If you allow yourself to relax and be cool about it then do things as they take your fancy it will feel more natural and better for you.  Honest.

Domestique

« Reply #51 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:08:19 pm »
I went through a similar time a year or so ago. I agree with the take the computer off, just get out and ride for a set time. Not 30 miles in two hours, just ride for two hours etc at whatever pace is easy and enjoy  :thumbsup:
Sometimes I think we all think we are fitter than we remember we where  ???

Treewheeler

« Reply #52 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »
I remember that enormous lump in my Willy Warmer and can bear witness to the fact that you blushed at the sight...
H

What Hummerstone actually meant...

« Reply #53 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
Want to come skating with me?  I'd be happy to do another YACF session or something.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #54 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:52:22 am »
I'd love to, Mikey! What a great offer!

I've never done it before, though...  :-\

« Reply #55 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:55:02 am »
Yes, take the computer off!!

Indeed.

I rarely use with a computer; but always sportingly!

I am slow right now; and unfit, but taking the time to go out is important and I sahll soon be riding hard again! I have some TTs I want to do!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #56 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:55:36 am »

This time last month you'd never been skiing either!

« Reply #57 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
I never use a computer. It's too depressing!

This time last month you'd never been skiing either!
That's true. OK, so I will aim to be rubbish at three different sports within the space of a month!  ;)

« Reply #58 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:13:41 am »

It doesn't matter, I often teach people who've done almost no sport at all all their lives, much less skating, and you're quite a sporty person so you should do great.  It's also excellent cross training for cycling, or vice-versa.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #59 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:51:43 pm »
Thanks Mikey, you lovely man!

I made Woolly force me outta the door this evening, and I managed a 1.5 laps of the park, at pootle pace, with music, and actually enjoyed it!

:)

alan

« Reply #60 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
It was Wednesday before I felt recovered from last Sunday's audax so didn't go out all week.
I did 30 mins yesterday on the turbo at 80-95 HR & 45mins this morning at 100-124hr.Better than nothing I suppose.

« Reply #61 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:13:14 pm »
It was Wednesday before I felt recovered from last Sunday's audax so didn't go out all week.
I did 30 mins yesterday on the turbo at 80-95 HR & 45mins this morning at 100-124hr.Better than nothing I suppose.
Good man, Alan. Wise to wait until you'd recovered. I've just ordered a turbo trainer, so you will have to give me tips on how to use it.

I did a lovely ride yesterday along the canal with a pile of yAcfers. It was wonderful! I really enjoyed it, and though I feel knackered today (riding on bumpy towpaths on fixed is actually quite hard work, as I put most of my weight into my legs to keep me upright) I enjoyed it immensely.

Let's keep plodding on, Alan.  :thumbsup:

GillP

« Reply #62 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:17:38 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoyed your ride Peli.  :)

Alan you did some great miles last Sunday, happy you are recovered and on the turbo trainer, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:51:19 pm »
That's interesting, RR. I think I shall dust off my HRM and try to understand what my body's doing while I'm riding.

I love the new avatar, by the way.  ;)

« Reply #64 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:29:33 pm »
So my getting fit again method isn't about the technology but it helps me know about the physiology. If this helps you, great. If not, just ignore me!

After a while I just knew how I felt at various stages when using a HRM. Basically you took it easy ? How did you keep in the correct range, lower gears, not trying to hard on the hills ?

Anyway, Peli I am glad you are getting you mojo back, see, we told you to just ride and it would happen. Me ? It's getting easier,  I had a nice ride in the rain with NickWill and onb, they were gentle with me and didn't make me suffer. We are looking forward to your Pendle Hill ride this summer by the way !! ;-)

« Reply #65 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:27:34 pm »
Well done Mseries, that sounds like quite a ride, easily-paced or not!

As for the Pendle Ride, I'll have to get my finger out! It will have to be after we get back from the Pyrenees, so I have mountains in my legs ;) 

alan

« Reply #66 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:35:40 pm »
Just done approx 20km in 1hr 40mins.The computer died about 10 mins in so I spent the whole ride at 120HR which puts me in the fat-burning zone

« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:39:10 pm »
Good one Alan.

I did a very, very wet lap of Richmond Park this evening (about 14 miles from work - Park - home) and saw a beautiful double rainbow. That made up for the very soggy, cold feet. But I think I startled a few walkers and cyclists with my cries of "Look! Look at the rainbow!!"  :-[

I've no idea how fast I was going, or whether I was burning fat.  :-\

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »
Yesterday I did a very sedate ride along the canal path from Belfast to Lisburn, led by the Belfast DA. On a Brompton - I set out terrified of being dropped but I think we only broke 10mph once, on a downhill.  ;D

It was totally different to the audax rides I've been doing so far this year.  35 miles, 5 1/2 hours including lunch stop, beautiful countryside - I enjoyed every single second.

Sometimes it's all about the rainbows (or in my case, the ickle ducklings) and not about the miles, the speed the HRM, the fat burning glycogen monitor or whatever else.

The ducklings were lovely.  And I don't usually do sentimental over ickle fluffy animals.  :D

« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »
Sounds lovely, Liz. What are you doing in N Ireland?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #70 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:52:50 pm »
Letting her maternal instincts get the better of her? ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #71 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »
But why go all the way to N Ireland to mother fluffy ducklings?

(I saw some ducklings on the canal ride on Saturday. Squeaky noises were emitted. From me.  :-[ )

Maladict

« Reply #72 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:55:31 pm »
Sounds lovely, Liz. What are you doing in N Ireland?

I suspect she was accompanying Senator Barnes to the meeting of the Imperial Senate.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #73 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:56:28 pm »
I'm back now.

I was there for the CTC AGM.  It was a very lovely weekend, and I can thoroughly recommend a visit to a new cafe / bar called Muriels!

Edit:  What Maladictus/ a / orum said.  :)

« Reply #74 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:59:35 pm »
Yesterday I did a very sedate ride along the canal path from Belfast to Lisburn, led by the Belfast DA. On a Brompton - I set out terrified of being dropped but I think we only broke 10mph once, on a downhill.  ;D

It was totally different to the audax rides I've been doing so far this year.  35 miles, 5 1/2 hours including lunch stop, beautiful countryside - I enjoyed every single second.

Sometimes it's all about the rainbows (or in my case, the ickle ducklings) and not about the miles, the speed the HRM, the fat burning glycogen monitor or whatever else.

The ducklings were lovely.  And I don't usually do sentimental over ickle fluffy animals.  :D

I like to dawdle around and do the tourist thing too.
I'm also very fond of ducks. They are very nice with lemon juice or any citrous fruit. Very good for protien.
Did you find any duck eggs?
They are also very nice.