Author Topic: interactive turbo trainers  (Read 2867 times)

interactive turbo trainers
« on: 06 March, 2009, 12:18:17 pm »
Who makes a good trainer, want one for internet competition ( cycling with mates during winter when weather crap  don,t want another bust hip). Also who does the best dvd,s for the european climbs etc. May as well spend some dosh as it,s not worth leaving in a bank.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: interactive turbo trainers
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »
I have A Tacx Flow with a T1925  upgrade kit, effectively making it an I-Magic.  Plenty of European climbs available, though I often wish for a more undulating route.  It gets very tedious grinding away in a low gear continuously, only relieved once you get to the top of the climb.  I usually have the radio or some music on as there is no sound on the RLVs.

I sometimes use video podcasts for a change, such as http://www.thesufferfest.com/

As someone who is not able to commute I have found it a valuable damage limitation tool since I got it at Christmas. Not the same as getting out of course but better than doing nothing and bemoaning the weather.

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:44:24 pm »
if you're anywhere near cambridge, you're welcome to come and try an imagic.

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:59:44 pm »
I have A Tacx Flow with a T1925  upgrade kit, effectively making it an I-Magic.  Plenty of European climbs available, though I often wish for a more undulating route.  It gets very tedious grinding away in a low gear continuously, only relieved once you get to the top of the climb.  I usually have the radio or some music on as there is no sound on the RLVs.

I sometimes use video podcasts for a change, such as http://www.thesufferfest.com/

As someone who is not able to commute I have found it a valuable damage limitation tool since I got it at Christmas. Not the same as getting out of course but better than doing nothing and bemoaning the weather.

Sounds just like the real thing then!

Pyrenees are beautiful but hard work.  The thing is for training I'd have thought intervals or hill repeats would do you more good than grinding up a big hill.  Doing a grind on the turbo sounds spectacularly boring too, and the view isn't real or all-encompassing so I'm not sure what that gains you.  I'd rather watch telly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2009, 03:36:17 pm »
I think it is more about mental training. Having the fortitude to keep on pushing and keeping the pressure on when everything physical is telling you to Slow Down This Is Bad.

Very useful when chasing, or making a break, or TTing.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »
I've also got a Tacx - the Fortius and I can use the same RLVs as on the i-magic.  I found it very good prep for riding in actual mountains.  The latest version lets you compete online with other riders too.

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »
Went for an elite realpower got a good deal .  Updated elite gps software and can import straight from garmin training centre.  Hope i made the right choice, the videos look good  and effort feels right from memory.  Only downside so far, my old laptop was crap running it and had to buy a new one.