Author Topic: Saddle sore  (Read 2821 times)

Saddle sore
« on: 18 June, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »
I rode my first 600 last weekend (Seething 600, great route, brilliantly organised, shame about the wind at the end) sitting rather uncomfortably come the finish on a Brooks B17 standard. The saddle is approx 18 months old so should be broken in and I have used it on 200k rides before with no problem. The problem is a chafing on the inside of my right leg, the edge of the saddle does not appear to be rough or sharp but it does seem to be wider on that side when looking down from the top. I have thought about putting it back on my winter/touring bike and getting either a B17 narrow or maybe a Team pro. Any ideas?

Re: Saddle sore
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
I found a team pro more comfortable for that reason - but whilst riding the B17 I did reduce the discomfort by applying sudocreme on the rubbing area. Like you, it was only a very minor chafe, but over the course of 600k+ rides it became an issue.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »
Maybe you could lace the two sides together, as some people have done, to reduce the "flare" of the sides.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:08:08 pm »
You sure it's the saddle? I had chaffing at Seething, but after it started to mark my leg, I realised it was my shorts riding up where I was wearing leg warmers and the grippers were sliding on the lycra. If it is the saddle, sudocrem and lacing sounds like a good option.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
That is a good point; I had a pair of Castelli Free shorts, where the edge of the pad rubbed on my inner thigh (it was a big pad, and I think the shorts may have been a tiny bit big so it could move against me).

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »
That is a good point; I had a pair of Castelli Free shorts, where the edge of the pad rubbed on my inner thigh (it was a big pad, and I think the shorts may have been a tiny bit big so it could move against me).

I get this with my new Lusso Pro Gel bib shorts,  It became a bit of an issue on BCM600 until I swappd into some trusty old bib-longs after 380km.

As MattH says, the edge of the pad seems to find its way into the thigh nook/cranny. 

Assos chamois cream is worth trying.  It's not expensive and it really works (as I found out after trying a dab from Chillmoister's tub)

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2011, 06:21:15 am »
MOST PEOPLE HAVE ONE LEG SHORTER THAN THE OTHER COULD YOU LOWER YOUR SADDLE SLIGHTLY TO COMPENSATE FOR THIS?

THE REAL SOLUTION TO SADDLE SORENESS WAS GIVEN TO ME MANY  YEARS AGO BY A BRITISH TEAM COACH.

APPLY SURGICAL SPIRIT EVERY DAY FOR A FORTNIGHT AND BEFORE EVERY LONG RIDE YOU WILL ENJOY CYCLING EVER AFTER

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:20:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments, interesting that the first signs were during the night section when I would have been wearing legwarmers. Although I changed shorts for the following day and the chafing persisted with no leg warmers but maybe thats cos it was sore by then. I had also worn the same shorts on a 400 with legwarmers and no problem, so dunno. Food for thought anyway. I always use Assos chamois cream but not usually on my thigh, I'll try it next time. Anyone tried the surgical spirit? cheers.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
Try a B17 Narrow