Author Topic: Most comfortable bibtights?  (Read 3698 times)

Most comfortable bibtights?
« on: 14 November, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »
Hi,

My Endura bibtights cause me much suffering after about 100 miles. I'm not sure if it's the chamois, the saddle or somethign else. Am tempted to get a Brooks saddle, plan to apply surgical spirit as another thread suggested... but should I consider another bibtight?

Your thoughts would be very welcome.

Andy

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Most comfortable bibtights?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »
This will be one of those "different strokes for different folks" issues.
I have some Endura Thermastat bib longs which are very comfortable as are my Brooks saddles.
hth

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
I always wear bibshorts under my bibtights - and have no pad in the tights. Most experienced riders I know do the same, so I guess it must work for a lot of people.

I think tights with a pad move around too much against the body maybe.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
My Assos LL.607 bib tights are very comfortable on everything on everything except the wallet. Excellent bit of kit though.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Assos-bib-tights-bib-longs-Assos-LL607-S5-Bib-Tights-with-pad/ASSOZBBT520

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:31:33 pm »
Also if you take a look at Santini they make a range of different pads and overall form from the casual to the race fit.  Lets hope Italy leaves the euro lots of nice Italian bike bits we would like cheaper  :demon:

« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »
Also if you take a look at Santini they make a range of different pads and overall form from the casual to the race fit.  Lets hope Italy leaves the euro lots of nice Italian bike bits we would like cheaper  :demon:

Maybe if it was made in Italy, but almost everything is made in China, Far East or old Eastern European countries. Prices out of China are going through the roof, so don't hold your breath!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »
Wear bibtights (without pad) over shorts. That way you can always take them off if it turns mild.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »
I always wear bibshorts under my bibtights - and have no pad in the tights. Most experienced riders I know do the same, so I guess it must work for a lot of people.

The advantage with this is you can use your tried-n-tested favourite shorts, and not worry about the 'fit' of the tights.
(I've got some cheap Aldi tights which happen to have a pad - I don't really notice it through my regular shorts. )

And as Otea says, it gives you the option of stripping off oh-so-elegantly during the day. Admiring glances guaranteed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
I don't think there's a good way to work this out other than trial-and-error.  Personally I find Northwave bibtights are the very thing, but I suspect that ladies' bibtights wouldn't work any better for you than your Enduras!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:55:17 pm »

Maybe if it was made in Italy, but almost everything is made in China, Far East or old Eastern European countries. Prices out of China are going through the roof, so don't hold your breath!

Santini is made near Bergamo using Albanian immigrants as their source of cheap labour.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:58:32 pm »
I just continue to wear my shorts with either knee or leg warmers depending on how cold it is.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:02:10 pm »

The advantage with this is you can use your tried-n-tested favourite shorts, and not worry about the 'fit' of the tights.
(I've got some cheap Aldi tights which happen to have a pad - I don't really notice it through my regular shorts. )

And as Otea says, it gives you the option of stripping off oh-so-elegantly during the day. Admiring glances guaranteed.

I don't normally consider bibtights as sexy, but when you're wearing them Matt ... it must be the beard that does it.

The other advantage of shorts under tights is that you don't have to wash the tights so much, just the comparatively small pair of shorts.

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
I was having some grief with some Lusso Pro Gel shorts (inner-thigh chaffage) which is when I first discovered the magic properties of ASSOS Chamois cream.

I know it's not for everyone but I've used it on my last 400/600/1200 rides based on the positive effects of that first application.  It's impossible to say whether prevevtative "medicine" worked when you don't have any problems but my arse was one of the few areas that wasn't sore after PBP.

As for recommending a comfy brand I think that's impossible each to their own. 

My "Assos Mille" are my most confortable pair of shorts, the padding is VERY thick and comfy (designed specifically for long distance) but I've also done 600s in a pair of DHBs from Wiggle without any issues (about £45 for Bib longs)