Author Topic: I can't stand it.  (Read 5386 times)

I can't stand it.
« on: 27 June, 2012, 02:23:22 pm »
I have a nice hybrid bike, bought with the kind help and advice from the good people of this forum.

It mostly lives in my hall.  But I am finding myself irritated.

It leans against the wall.  I would much much prefer it not to.  So I need a stand.  But what type to go for.

In an ideal world the stand would do the following.

1) Be very quick to use even if the bike has got mudguards and panniers.

2) Be helpful in the cleaning and maintenance of the bike. 

3) Not cost over £100

Are requirements 1) and 2) mutually exclusive?  What stands have you guys found to be most excellent?

Mr Cat.
Every forum needs it's own cat

Re: I can't stand it.
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »
These are excellent for very minimally holding the bike up by the rear axle. Great when washing and photographing the bike, but since the rear tyre is in contact at the bottom wouldn't be any use if you were indexing gears or doing drive train repairs to your bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32890

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »
Something of the type discussed recently in this thread may fit the bill.

Alternatively, one of those bike hoists that hangs the bike from pulleys on the ceiling.

Or a propstand fitted to the bike itself.  These have the advantage of making it much easier to pack panniers while you're out and about, and it doesn't get any quicker or easier.  Hebie do some nice sturdy ones that fit to the chainstay if the bike doesn't have a place to fit a standard one.

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »
If there is a wall you can mount it on these little beauties look excellent (I don't own one, but if I had anywhere suitable to put one I would have my best bike as wall art in the living room!)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycloc-wall-mounted-bike-holder/

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »
1 and 2 are possible a bit mutually exclusive, because a maintenance work stand has to suspend the rear wheel off the ground while leaving the cranks free to turn, and any such stand would really struggle to support a bike with panniers on!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »
Depends, something reasonably sturdy like the Revolution tune-up stand will work reasonably well (assuming the panniers aren't asymmetrically loaded with stuff), as long as the pannier doesn't physically block its access to the chain/seat stays - which depends on the pannier and bike geometry.  It will be a lot fiddlier to use, though.

Obviously a hoist or those wall brackets would work fine, too.  Weight permitting.  But those minimal storage/display type stands wouldn't cope.

Of course, if you're working on the rear brakes or drivetrain, you're going to take the panniers off anyway so you can see what you're doing.

You could get a propstand for day-to-day support of the panniered bike *and* a lift-the-rear-wheel workstand for tweaking the gears for well under 100 quid.  That's my approach.  Then, optionally, keep an eye out for a cheap full-size workshop stand, should you decide you need one.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
One of the stands linked to looks good.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=7000

Though I was taken by this.

Made of marble, would look great in my hall.  Can't see it for sale though.

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/milestone-bike-stand

:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:24:11 pm »
No matter how pretty, a wheelbender's still a wheelbender.  That would, however, make a stylish front wheel support for use with a turbo trainer...

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »
I reckon I would stub my toe on that if it was in my hall  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:54:39 am »
Not helpful for storage purposes, but LIDL will have their workstands on sale Thursday next week, £30 IIRC.  They come well recommended.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2012, 04:34:30 pm »
If you have a sturdy beam in the ceiling, screw a large plastic coated hook into it and hang the bike up byt he front wheel
Such hooks are available from Wilkos for a couple of quid

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
similar to the above, but keeping the bike wheels-downwards to make it easier to work on, how about a small hook screwed into sturdy beam, with an old tyre doubled over with duct tape (to make it shorter) then hang the bike by the saddle in the tyre. 

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »
These are excellent for very minimally holding the bike up by the rear axle. Great when washing and photographing the bike, but since the rear tyre is in contact at the bottom wouldn't be any use if you were indexing gears or doing drive train repairs to your bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32890

That's just what I could do with for my bike room. They sell something simialr in Halfords too but never always seem to have them in stock.
Need to tidy up my bike room first (and the rest of my flat for that matter). My bikes are spilling out into my living room at the moment and so are quite a few bits of bike...

Jakob

« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:40:08 am »
Mr Cat, where are you?
I have a stand like this which I would like to sell:
http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/bike-rack-gravity-stand?ret=1584

It works really well, and no drilling of screws into the wall.
Can deliver if you are reasonably close to me.

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »
I will send you a PM

:-)