Author Topic: Yet another rollers question  (Read 2473 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Yet another rollers question
« on: 02 December, 2012, 03:19:04 pm »
I'm just getting over a bastard bout of whooping cough, and don't want to risk riding in sub-zero temperatures on icy roads. So, I've been doing some gentle pedaling on the turbo for the past few days, and today moved over to the rollers for a bit more "excitement" (ie less boredom).
But I've found that, compared with the turbo, the bike on the rollers feels a lot more jittery, like riding on a rough road surface. The rollers are on a piece of carpet on a concrete floor, seem quite stable in themselves, and the bearings are smooth.
Now then, I'm wondering if increasing or decreasing the tyre pressures would help? Currently 700x23 tyres at about 95psi.
Any thoughts, folks?
Thanks.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Yet another rollers question
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »
Are the rollers plastic or metal? Plastic rollers can distort over time and metal rollers might not be lathe-turned. If your rollers aren't round, the ride will be rough.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2012, 03:33:46 pm »
Could be! But I've tried two sets of rollers, both plastic: my own ancient cylindrical ones, and new-ish parabolic ones on loan from Noodley OTP. It's not so bad as to put me off using them, and I guess part of it is down having got used to  having the bike held rock solid in the turbo and then just being more sensitive to the "freedom" of the rollers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »
Have you checked your tyres? Few tyres are completely consistent in cross-section all the way round the rim.

If what you're feeling is the movement of the bike on the rollers, try running max tyre pressure.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »

Now then, I'm wondering if increasing or decreasing the tyre pressures would help? Currently 700x23 tyres at about 95psi.
Any thoughts, folks?
Thanks.

I too run 700x23 but a 7 bars(105 psi).I don't have any jitter symptons.
I assume your tyres are slicks

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »
News report from eck's garage:
Result. Thanks chaps. I used a different bike, tyres up to 110psi. Much better, and there seems to be a"sweet spot" at about 35-40kph, where everything seems to run particularly smooth and quiet (except my breathing).  :thumbsup:

Weather report from eck's garage:
It's bloody freezing in there.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2012, 01:36:10 pm »

Weather report from eck's garage:
It's bloody freezing in there.  ;D

No need for a fan (to keep you cool) then. :D

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »
A bit off topic Eck, but seeing as it was probably me what gave you the whooping cough  :-[ I thought we could do a quick comparison. Basically I can ride a bike and feel fine, but if I have to put much effort in (eg to stick with a group on a climb) I just don't have it. Not sure if this is the whooping cough or just the lack of training that it's resulted in. I had thought that the cold weather was making this worse but on Friday I did a track session that involved lots of hard efforts in a warm dry environment. It killed me - within a few minutes of doing flat out efforts my mouth/throat/lungs were so dry and sore I had to stop for a drink. Never had this before, so maybe you should be grateful that your garage is freezing cold.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:53:41 pm »
 ??? I can blame you if you like, Mr v, but I can't see how I got it from you. I mean, we haven't kissed met for a couple of months  :-X
I had a great October, then the lurgi started in early November, a hacking cough, struggling to breathe, "whooping" air in, swallowing lots - and burping it out a minute later. Generally felt utter crap for a fortnight then I did a one hour ride with a mate, who is usually a good bit slower than me and, like you, I was struggling to keep up on the climbs.
Now, I'm nearly at the end of a course of antibiotics, and the coughing is less frequent and less intense, maybe down to about five episodes in 24hr, as opposed to about 20 at its worst. But I've not had any pain, apart from round my fat gut caused by all the coughing.
I can't comment if warmer air during exercise would make it worse. Since I started to feel a bit better, a week ago, I've done six turbo sessions in the garage, starting with a very gentle 20 minutes on the turbo, now up to an hour on the rollers, with alternating easy and hard-ish 5 min intervals. So far so good, but I ain't going out on the road until it's clear of ice.
Hope you feel better soon, we can maybe compare coughs in a couple of weeks?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2012, 11:37:40 am »
I hit the "utter crap" phase the day after our DIY 200 at the end of September, which means I was probably still contagious when I was out with you. Hence I thought I'd passed it on. But incubation period is meant to be up to 20 days so maybe you've been kissing someone else.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances