Author Topic: Hills  (Read 10277 times)

Re: Hills
« Reply #25 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:45:24 am »
5.  Sit down!  Until you're in your bottom gear, there's nothing to be gained from staying in a high gear and standing up, which will adversely affect your next change.

I find this depends very much on the length, steepness of hill and gears available.

If you don't have a triple, then bottom gear might not be all that low. In that case, standing up puts less strain on the knees.

Standing up needn't imply very low cadence, and it can be quite refreshing to get out of the saddle and maintain a good cadence. Good old Lance used this, and his out-of-saddle cadence was often higher than Jan's sit-down-and-grind technique.

I used to commute over a fair climb, Saddleworth moor, on a 3-speed (bottom gear about 40inches). I found that the ideal technique for day-in-day out riding this was to develop an out-of-saddle cadence+gear combo that enabled me to 'walk' up the hill, putting no more effort into turning the pedals than I would if I were walking up a steep hill or stairs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
Aye, and I used to tour the Peaks on a classic 44-88" set up, but as I say, there's no point in standing up until you're in your bottom gear. 
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 21 October, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »
Aye, and I used to tour the Peaks on a classic 44-88" set up, but as I say, there's no point in standing up until you're in your bottom gear. 

I disagree with this.

Standing up and honking can, on a short rise, keep your momentum up enough to get to the top. When you are grinding away in bottom gear, I think it is less tiring to do so sitting down.

Singing the Ode from Beethoven's 9th Symphony s a tried and tested method of getting up hills.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #28 on: 21 October, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
Mrs Wow and I don't get off for many hills, but we don't go very quickly either.

I wouldn't recommend Mrs. Wow's method for getting up the nasty 1 in 6 git just after the Nick of Pendle. I was straining every muscle, pulling on the bars for extra leverage, popping my kneecaps just to keep the bike moving. Then, I heard the sound of a zip being undone as my beloved decide to lose a layer of clothing. Neither hand on the bars, not much energy being generated. "She's not pedalling at the back!" has never been so true.

We didn't make it and walked for a couple of hundred yards. It was close, but there was too much traffic and steering the tandem in a straight line at 2 mph when under great pressure is not all that easy.

As stated by Alan on that very same ride.

"There's no hill so steep you can't walk up it."

Advice I took closely to heart.

I am of the opinion that once it is possible to walk and push, at the same speed, with less effort, then the bike is no longer the more efficient machine, and does not deserve to be ridden  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 21 October, 2008, 04:39:14 pm »
... steering the tandem in a straight line at 2 mph when under great pressure is not all that easy.

Not kidding!  I find it difficult slower than 5mph on out SuperGal, but managed 4mph on Sunday.  I was impressed by your steady progress.
Getting there...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #30 on: 21 October, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »
 :)
The hardest hill I have been up was on our tandem with my SO on the back shouting at me: "Don't stop, or we will fall over backwards!" Fortunately, for the sake of our continued married bliss, we made it.
Some little incline out of Little Langdale it was.....

« Reply #31 on: 21 October, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »
this one?

Mrs Mikes first chevrons.  Lots of swearing till about half way then an eerie silence. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #32 on: 21 October, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »
this one?

Mrs Mikes first chevrons.  Lots of swearing till about half way then an eerie silence. 

She was plotting the divorce and texting the solicitor....  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #33 on: 21 October, 2008, 05:30:25 pm »
She was plotting the divorce and texting the solicitor....  ;)
While mike looks at the map for more chevrons and considers moving to the Himalayas.   ::-)

« Reply #34 on: 22 October, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »
I'm rubbish at steep hills. Nearly bought a farm house half way up Chimney Bank though. I bet I would have been good at hills by now if I had.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:07:58 pm »
"I bought the farm half way up Chimney Bank"

*snigger*  :)

alan

« Reply #36 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:10:57 pm »
Head down, drop through the gears and keep grinding away.  If things are really tough I may stop for a minute to catch my breath then get back on the bike. 

This is what I am attempting in preference to using the 24" gear

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 22 October, 2008, 09:33:05 pm »
I've got an 18" first gear but it's no use when you start wheelying with a full camping load on the back.  Time to abandon bike.

Church Hill, Beer (nr. Seaton) Devon.

« Reply #38 on: 22 October, 2008, 09:56:57 pm »

Church Hill, Beer (nr. Seaton) Devon.

I've no sympathy. There is an easier way up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:25:04 am »
Need front panniers, son. ;D
Getting there...

StanThomas

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2009, 08:20:40 pm »
Difficult to arrange but a photographer at the point you might just be thinking about getting off does the trick for me.

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:58:46 pm »
I'm quite pleased I managed Cudham Hill on my Fujin last month, and also Stock Hill on my fixed wheel at 66".
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jakob

« Reply #42 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:13:32 am »
Simple. Go to the velodrome. (The real reason I like riding track! No hills!)

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #43 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:32:22 am »
I have a glance up to see how long is the hill, then look at the road in front of the wheel and do batches of 50 revs, with a quick look (to be pleasantly surprised at how far I have come) till I die reach the top.
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

« Reply #44 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:15:18 am »
One option that reputedly makes you good at going up hills is speedskating training, particularly the sorts of intervals done.

« Reply #45 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:20:03 am »
One option that reputedly makes you good at going up hills is speedskating training, particularly the sorts of intervals done.

i now have this mental picture of you skating nearly to the top, then descending backwards at speed with flailing arms.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #46 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:22:46 am »
Difficult to arrange but a photographer at the point you might just be thinking about getting off does the trick for me.

That's what business calls are for.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #47 on: 13 February, 2009, 03:37:56 pm »

i now have this mental picture of you skating nearly to the top, then descending backwards at speed with flailing arms.

LOL!  Going up is easy on skates, going down the other side can frankly be terrifying.

More seriously, speedskating is excellent for hill climbing, and it seems to be one of the few bits where two different sports are actually fairly close in specific fitness.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 13 February, 2009, 03:44:26 pm »
Andy Hampsten
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #49 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:15:14 pm »

That's what business calls are for.

Oh yes,that is a good one 8)