Author Topic: Cateye front brackets  (Read 1000 times)

Cateye front brackets
« on: 27 December, 2017, 03:02:53 pm »
I'm finding these quite frustrating. Has anybody sorted them out?

There used to be a single bracket design that fitted everything, and you could get variants with different mounting methods - bands, screwed on, etc. More recent lamps use varying mounts - the Volt 700 and Volt 1200, for example, seem to take similar mounts, but the Volt 1200 has two catches released by a side push, and the lighter 700 has a single catch under the light. Neither quite fits the older brackets (which is annoying because I have them on most of my bikes).

Brackets such as this and this come with big lists of obscure model numbers that they supposedly fit, but some of those models are new and some are old (and therefore presumably made for the original fitting), so it's hard to know whether to trust the lists.

In reality, there must be only two or maybe three mount types - the type A being the traditional design for the 530 and lots of other older models, and maybe one or two newer types. I think it may well be one mount B, accepting both the fittings described above (for the 1200 and 700). I could probably sit down and work it out, but few shops now stock much in the way of Cateye mounts, so there's not much to look at.

Has anyone seen a plain English description of what lamps fit what brackets? What I'd really like to do is to find something better than the limited band fitting that now comes with lamps.

Of course I could switch brands, but that's outside the scope of this question.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cateye front brackets
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2017, 04:23:58 pm »
Have you considered a different brand?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Cateye front brackets
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »
We have at least a dozen old Cateye handlebar brackets (HK used to be a fan) that look as though they should fit (but might not). You are welcome to quite a few of them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...