Author Topic: frame restorers in Cambridgeshire  (Read 928 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
frame restorers in Cambridgeshire
« on: 05 March, 2018, 10:22:21 pm »
Having dismantled my giant, I've found some corrosion on the seat tube around the bottle cage threaded inserts and the front derailleur mount, I suspect water and salt getting trapped there and me not removing the cage very often. Same to a lesser extent on the down tube. 

Bottom bracket shell seems OK despite my having found ice in it last week. 

Is this likely to be easily remedied, terminal, or anywhere inbetween? Is solvable, anyone know of a frame builder/restorer near me that might be able to help?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: frame restorers in Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:09:23 pm »
Steel frame or alu?  If you are confident that the internals of the frame are okay then rubbing down the affected areas to reveal the bare metal should give you a good idea of the extent of the damage.  Minor pitting and pock marks should generally be okay but some pictures would be helpful if you need a second opinion. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:12:04 pm »
Steel frame or alu?  If you are confident that the internals of the frame are okay then rubbing down the affected areas to reveal the bare metal should give you a good idea of the extent of the damage.  Minor pitting and pock marks should generally be okay but some pictures would be helpful if you need a second opinion.

Yes, I realise I was a bit vague.  Its Alu, but i suspect some differential corrosion from the threaded inserts, which look like steel.  Once I've finished the current build I'll take a decent look at it and take a few pics.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

dim

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:18:22 am »
Having dismantled my giant, I've found some corrosion on the seat tube around the bottle cage threaded inserts and the front derailleur mount, I suspect water and salt getting trapped there and me not removing the cage very often. Same to a lesser extent on the down tube. 

Bottom bracket shell seems OK despite my having found ice in it last week. 

Is this likely to be easily remedied, terminal, or anywhere inbetween? Is solvable, anyone know of a frame builder/restorer near me that might be able to help?

try bicycle ambulance:

https://bicycleambulance.com/repairs/
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle