Author Topic: Alternative to Rolls Classic Saddle  (Read 1414 times)

Alternative to Rolls Classic Saddle
« on: 16 March, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »
I've been using Rolls Classic saddles across most of my bikes for years and they suit me fine. However, they are now getting less available and very pricey.  I'm about to take delivery of my new titanium audax bike and wondered if there is a similar shaped Brooks or other quality leather saddle anyone could recommend insted of the Rolls.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Re: Alternative to Rolls Classic Saddle
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »
A new Rolls is £75? which is ridiculous. Secondhand ones on Ebay go for about £20-25, even that is still high.

The world is not going to be short of them any time soon, so if you're happy with the Rolls, why change?

dat

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:37:17 pm »
I'm using a Ti rolls at the moment. I just waited for a sale, think I picked it up for around £65. If a saddle works just stick with it, you'll spend much more money trying to find something else that works.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:23:47 pm »
I've been a rolls classic user for decades, and successfully went to some Selle Italia gel saddle for my good bike a few years back, and don't have any discomfort whatsoever. (I seem pretty tolerant of different types of saddles though, so it seems my arse isn't very fussy, ymmv)

In general, I find saddles really expensive, way too expensive to "try and see" now.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:40:19 am »
One option is having your favourite saddle re-upholstered.

Usual caveats. No links to business etc.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

dat

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2018, 03:12:37 pm »
One option is having your favourite saddle re-upholstered.

Usual caveats. No links to business etc.
He was looking for a cheaper option, the prices there start at £100 and can be up to £200.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:32:12 pm »
Just buy a Charge Spoon then...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:12:06 am »
To be perfectly honest and from painful personal experience, if you find your nirvana saddle, your bum caresser, your 'ring' mate, your perineum pal, your buttock buddy, just bite the pillow and buy as many as you can possibly afford regardless of the cost.

I had two years of painful suffering after I was 'persuaded' away from a beloved Flite TI onto a nasty, biting Spesh BG.  If your bottom loves the Rolls then give it a Rolls to luxuriate upon.

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:54:33 am »
I have them on my three bikes and also bought one for my Italian friend (after he rode my bike and
commented on how comfy the saddle was).

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2018, 10:44:40 am »
I think I have a used rolls in the “looking to sell” pile, let me know
simplicity, truth, equality, peace