Author Topic: Remove left hand cup from Strong Light square taper BB  (Read 813 times)

Phil W

Remove left hand cup from Strong Light square taper BB
« on: 12 June, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »
i have a Stronglight JP 400 square taper BB I would like to fit.

Easy thought I. Remove left hand cup, insert BB from drive side, screw in left hand cup etc.

The left hand cup just spins on the BB without coming off which ever way I spin. I presume there is some retaining clip but before I damage something.  What am I missing?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Remove left hand cup from Strong Light square taper BB
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:32:27 pm »
I don't think you're missing a trick but is the cup metal or nylon? Either should simply pull off by hand, no twisting required. If it's nylon and the old Campag/FAG style that takes a six point external tool then, with all due respect, fit it to a trebuchet and go and buy something proper instead. You might get it in with no drama but you sure as hell won't be able to get it out after a few thousand miles . . .

I'm assuming the LH cup has been correctly identified (it's the RH thread) and that this BB isn't a clone of an early 90s Shimano unit that had the fixed fitting on the non-drive side and a nylon cup inserted chainset side.

ETA Of course the LH cup has no flange if it's a UNxx Shimano stylee . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:37:59 pm »
IIRC the cup is a push fit and the reason it is able to spin like that is perhaps because it is on the bearing...?

cheers

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:58:03 pm »
It is metal. Ok will try pulling off by hand.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:02:02 am »
Thanks gave a stronger pull this morning and the left hand cup came off.