Author Topic: Pub Bike Dynamo Lighting  (Read 6789 times)

Re: Pub Bike Dynamo Lighting
« Reply #25 on: 18 November, 2018, 11:28:54 pm »
Check that you actually want the senso RT and all other options.  Depending where you mount it a good part of the near field could be shadowed by your front wheel/mudguard, meaning that the R option simply wastes your lux.  ... I don't think they have a non-senso non-T version, but I would skip both of those and simply run with the lights on.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #26 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:08:39 pm »
Amazon are selling the Cyo Premium for £29 at present (only a few left)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Busch-M%C3%BCller-Lumotec-Premium-dynamo/dp/B00GO9WBGC/ref=cts_sp_4_vtp

(info courtesy of edocaster on the CTC forum)

I did buy one of these in a fit of "well it's so cheap"-ness

« Reply #27 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »
I think all the Cyo's have the sensor switching.

The light will be mounted on the fork boss, midway up the fork off side, what option would be best 'RT' or 'T' ?

I'm not familiar with these lights and the number of options on their web pages together with beam patterns that are not easily comparible is totally confusing to me.

No such options for my old Miller lights !

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »
Only the 'Senso' ones have a sensor.  This is complicated by the 'T' models, where the sensor switches between night and day modes, rather than on and off.

Premium = Newer models with higher output and a wider beam
Plus = Has a standlight
R = Has a built in reflector and more vertical spread to the beam (giving a lower lux figure for the same output).
N = Has a switch
T = Daylight running: Separate high-efficiency (so poorer colour temperature) 'be-seen' LEDs below the main optics, for better visibility off-axis.  They have two operating modes: Night mode, where most of the power is sent to the main beam, and a day mode, where most is sent to the be-seen LEDs.  The Senso versions will switch between these automatically, unless overridden by the switch.

(These abbreviations make sense in German)

If you're mounting the lamp below 700c fork crown height, I suggest avoiding the 'R' models.  The greater vertical spread is designed to fill in the dark patch immediately in front of the wheel (which is useful when riding on bad surfaces, and reduces the 'hot spot' effect of the original beam shape), but when mounted lower the shallower beam angle means this is unnecessary, and will probably just waste light.

I have a Cyo T premium (non 'R') on my Brompton, which is probably a similar mounting height, and find the be-seen LEDs provide a useful (in as much as you can see past the front luggage) spill of light in the nearfield.

« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:44:56 pm »
there is quite a good write up on B&M lights here

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Peter White Cycles is the US importer for B&M lights.

cheers

« Reply #30 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:23:20 pm »
Thanks for that I will get the 'T' version on order.

I'm assuming that the centre connection on the dynamo should be considered '+' and the casing '- ' when wiring both lights ?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:06:29 am »
My Avy is miswired so + needs to be connected to ground on the dynamo.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:46:36 pm »
Yes, the B&M convention is that + (or the black and white striped wire on Cyos etc) is grounded.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #33 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:06:17 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Busch-M%C3%BCller-Lumotec-Premium-dynamo/dp/B00GO9WBGC/ref=cts_sp_4_vtp

...And it arrived, I put it on the commute bike and tried it out in the dark just now
Beam is as hoped for, just a bit wider and brighter than the older version and a bit better than the Luxos-U

« Reply #34 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:01:02 pm »
Bits all arrived very fast from Rose (ordered Tuesday evening arrived today).

Can I just confirm wiring - B&M call Black current and B+White earth, so are we saying Black (current to the dynamo bracket) and B+White to centre tapping on dynamo ?

Are the lights polarity sensitive i.e will blow or just not light ? really don't want to ruin the light by incorrect wiring up!

Thanks for assistance.

Richard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:27:45 pm »

Can I just confirm wiring - B&M call Black current and B+White earth, so are we saying Black (current to the dynamo bracket) and B+White to centre tapping on dynamo ?

No, black to the centre tap, black&white to the bracket.

Are the lights polarity sensitive i.e will blow or just not light ? really don't want to ruin the light by incorrect wiring up!

The lights neither know nor care (it's AC, the only thing that matters is which terminal (if any) is connected to the bike frame).  Worst case is you short-circuit the dynamo and it doesn't work, it won't damage anything.

« Reply #36 on: 25 November, 2018, 09:11:53 pm »
All working well - really great light output both on the T and S settings + the stand lights are very good, the front one will be good when putting bike away etc.

Many thanks for assistance - especially Kim for sorting my electrickery queries.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2018, 06:49:57 pm »

Aha!

My only minor-yet-irksome irk with my german light is the letters on the 3-position switch; I have no idea what german terms they indicate! Can you help?

One is S - I think that's the "Senses daylight mode"; I can't even remember the other two.  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #38 on: 27 November, 2018, 07:22:21 pm »

...And it arrived, I put it on the commute bike and tried it out in the dark just now
Beam is as hoped for, just a bit wider and brighter than the older version and a bit better than the Luxos-U
I got one of these too on the strength of this thread and I am amazed. Admittedly, I have been getting by on some very 20th century tech since, well, the 20th century.
I can take the unlit routes now!
 :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #39 on: 27 November, 2018, 07:39:02 pm »

Aha!

My only minor-yet-irksome irk with my german light is the letters on the 3-position switch; I have no idea what german terms they indicate! Can you help?

One is S - I think that's the "Senses daylight mode"; I can't even remember the other two.  :facepalm:

T for Tag which is day in German?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 27 November, 2018, 07:39:51 pm »

Aha!

My only minor-yet-irksome irk with my german light is the letters on the 3-position switch; I have no idea what they mean! Can you help?

On a Cyo T you're going to have:
T is 'Tagfahrlight' = "Daylight running light" (full power to the be-seen LEDs, reduced power to the main beam - the idea being you can override the sensor for riding in urban areas where you don't need to see where you're going, but it seems pointless)
S is, presumably, for "Sensor" (I think they just borrow the English word), which switches automatically between the above, and more power to the main beam when it's dark.  The difference in the beam isn't obvious outside controlled conditions.
0 for 'off'

Other Cyos have 1 (for 'on') instead of the 'T' setting, and the 'S' position simply turns the light on and off.

IIRC the Luxos has a blinkenlight marked 'R' to monitor the rear light ("Rücklicht").

'N', when it comes up (in model names) means "Nabendynamo" = "Hub dynamo".  It simply implies the presence of an on/off switch (which is redundant with a bottle dynamo).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 30 November, 2018, 07:57:26 pm »
Thanks Kim  :thumbsup:

(Mine has O S T   I think - makes a lot more sense now. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 01 December, 2018, 12:09:58 am »

Gone up to £35 now Black Friday's done with.

"only a few left" was wrong - I'd interpreted "4 new from £29" to mean only 4 left, whereas what it really means is "available new from 4 sellers, from £29"

rogerzilla

« Reply #43 on: 01 December, 2018, 09:43:35 am »
Last time I looked it was about £55 again.  It's not worth that.  Very plasticky build and Amazon supplied it with a Euro plug on the charger - they have form for that.

« Reply #44 on: 02 December, 2018, 11:14:18 pm »
Dynamo lights don't come with chargers

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:30:46 am »
I was referring to the Ixon IQ, sorry.

Paul

« Reply #46 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »

Thanks for assistance.

Richard.

Mine (from Amazon) came without connectors. Is that standard?

I couldn't find connectors of exactly the right size, so got slightly larger ones, which seem to work fine.

I taped the (unused) back wires and tucked them into the small void at the bottom of the light.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #47 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »
I've now used the Cyo Premium in the wet and it is better than the old Cyo, as previously estimated

The beam isn't massively long like an IQ-X but it is brighter and wider than an older Cyo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
Mine (from Amazon) came without connectors. Is that standard?

I couldn't find connectors of exactly the right size, so got slightly larger ones, which seem to work fine.

I taped the (unused) back wires and tucked them into the small void at the bottom of the light.

Yeah, the dynamo connectors normally come with the dynamo.  I can never remember what comes with what, but if you buy a B&M front light and rear light you usually end up with enough bits to wire them up, unless your bike is an unusual shape.

Paul

« Reply #49 on: 03 December, 2018, 05:15:56 pm »
The beam isn't massively long like an IQ-X but it is brighter and wider than an older Cyo
I have mine angled slightly downwards. I think I have ~30 m of good visibility, probably enough to stop in generally.