Author Topic: Strava  (Read 62127 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Strava
« Reply #125 on: 07 January, 2015, 10:35:35 am »
Thanks. Yes, it dawned on me that it might be and I went back to check.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #126 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:15:15 pm »
Did you get any of the new-fangled 2015 KoMs?

« Reply #127 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:50:21 pm »

Those are annoying. I wish there was a way of turning them off!

« Reply #128 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:56:06 pm »
Is there a YACF club on Strava as well as on Jantastic?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #129 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:07:13 pm »
Is there a YACF club on Strava as well as on Jantastic?

Yup, http://www.strava.com/clubs/yacf

« Reply #130 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »
Although I signed up to Strava a couple of years ago, I never actually used it until this week. And the only reason I did was because of bike computer failure. I can't believe it took me so long! I love it!

I have joined the yacf club  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

TimC

« Reply #131 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:39:37 pm »

Those are annoying. I wish there was a way of turning them off!

Go slower? Not really a problem for me! I don't find them annoying; any I get will very soon be taken by others, and I doubt I'd bother chasing them.

« Reply #132 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »
This seems to be best place to talk about all things Strava and this relates to premium users (go me!) They have now bought out a new USP and this is called Beacon. So you press a beacon and then send a text message to your nearest or dearest then you start the ride on your android/iphone and put it in a safe place. that person that you sent a text to will get a real time update of the ride AND the route you are taking. Flipping marvellous this morning! Very impressed.

« Reply #133 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:59:12 pm »
That's really not a bad feature, if you are someone with a possibly dodgy health issue.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #134 on: 10 August, 2016, 02:54:55 pm »
I thought cycling was for getting away from people ???
A bit of self indulgent, out alone time.

« Reply #135 on: 10 August, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »
Good thing that it doesn’t get activated automatically… anyways you’re not thinking in the right way. If my parents knows where I am and near home, they will put the dinner and bath on for me ;)

« Reply #136 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:07:50 am »
Warm the towels. Iron your pyjamas. Get a fresh bib out of the airing cupboard and refresh your Tommy Tippee.

« Reply #137 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:33:37 am »
...near home, they will put the dinner on for me...

This has definitely been an occasional benefit of using Garmin's LiveTrack for myself! It also offers some piece of mind for my g/f as I make the trip home, no longer wondering 'I wonder whereabouts he is' - the fact food can be prepped for arrival is simply an added bonus...
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

« Reply #138 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:17:36 pm »
Presumably, when you arrive home, your g/f texts you to tell you your dinner’s ready. If you have a weatherproof cover on your phone, you can read the message in the shower.
Make sure you reply promptly, so your g/f can get off down the pub to meet her friends and that bloke she met in the shops while you were out on your bike.

« Reply #139 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »
I thought cycling was for getting away from people ???
A bit of self indulgent, out alone time.

Precisely. It's about the only "me" time I ever get, and for that is precious. I'll leave an ETA at home, and if massively late will call to alleviate concerns. Otherwise it's just me and the great outdoors.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #140 on: 11 August, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »
Oh, come on Ningishzidda...the main point of my post is the peace of mind it gives her that she can see I'm still moving on the way home and not under a bus (she worries far too much).

One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #141 on: 11 August, 2016, 06:15:47 pm »
Oh, come on Ningishzidda...the main point of my post is the peace of mind it gives her that she can see I'm still moving on the way home and not under a bus (she worries far too much).

I'm not sure whether that's actually an advantage, as surely a worrier will instead start worrying at every LOS and stoppage.

That said, I have used Glympse for this sort of thing, not because of worriers, but because it allows people to realistically estimate my arrival time without having to stop and text.

« Reply #142 on: 11 August, 2016, 08:05:14 pm »
If you got a worrier, surely that person will worry regardless of what contraptions are available

« Reply #143 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:43:11 am »
Wise man say, “If you live with a man with a wooden leg, you eventually start walking with a limp.”
Sounds like you are starting to worry about your partner’s worrying.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #144 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:59:55 am »
I remember the 1st year that PBP published their logging of riders though controls (I wouldn't call it 'tracking' exactly) it generated a whole new phenomenon that had simply not existed before - the ether suddenly clogged with angst-ridden "where's my (wo)man" messages.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #145 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:21:03 am »
I didn’t experience the ‘anxious wife’ thing.
When I got home, there was a note on the kitchen table saying “Gone with mum and dad to caravan.”

TimC

« Reply #146 on: 12 August, 2016, 12:01:20 pm »
For some people, this kind of thing is reassuring and important. I don't think it's appropriate to take the piss out of those people.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #147 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »
For some people, this kind of thing is reassuring and important. I don't think it's appropriate to take the piss out of those people.

+1. Each to their own, nobody is forcing anybody to use it.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #148 on: 12 November, 2016, 12:23:49 pm »
Either:
Strava have done something to make their site of no value in the presence of browser shit-blockers.  Presumably in the hope I'll disable my shit-blockers so they can profile me better.  Not gonna happen.
Or:
Ghostery or Ad Block Plus have borked something up.

I'm hoping the old adage that goes something along the line of never attribute to malice what can be explained by simple incompetence turns out to be the case.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #149 on: 07 December, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »
Some really interesting stats from Strava :

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/british-cyclists-fastest-in-world-strava-303384

We're the 2nd fastest in the world for men! That would explain what I see every day!  ;D