Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 128713 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #150 on: 05 June, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »
I have just had an email to 'confirm' my FB 'Friendship' with Unknown Female.
Clicking on her Profile gives me WikiBigCockJunk.
I need neither Spam nor a big cock.
What should I do next.
Unknown Female is not on my list of friends.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #151 on: 05 June, 2012, 04:11:26 pm »
I have just had an email to 'confirm' my FB 'Friendship' with Unknown Female.
Clicking on her Profile gives me WikiBigCockJunk.
I need neither Spam nor a big cock.
What should I do next.
Unknown Female is not on my list of friends.
Sounds like a chunk of spiced pork and ham to me ... I get these from time to time; I just ignore 'em (or in the case of Twitter, report them as spammers)

« Reply #152 on: 06 June, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »
Just got logged out of facebook for security reasons as I'd apparently logged on in Tokyo. Investigated, and I think I may have been one of the millions where my linked in account got hacked, and as my facebook and linked in log ins are the same, I think that's how they got my login. Time to start beefing up my security.

gordon taylor

« Reply #153 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »
On Friday, a colleague posted a tongue-in-cheek comment on FB about being evicted because her ex seemed to think that child support was optional. Whilst her ex isn't a FB friend, he has a big public profile and must have been tipped off.

Money paid within 20 minutes!

Unfortunately, the thread was removed before some of us could add what we really think of the guy.

;D :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #154 on: 11 June, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »
"Unfriend" has to be one of the most horrible non-words I've seen.  I suppose they couldn't use "ostracize" because we would want an "s" in it and it would be too hard to program(me).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #155 on: 11 June, 2012, 08:29:51 pm »
Send to Coventry, or even better - Coventrize.  ;D  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #156 on: 16 June, 2012, 09:33:47 am »
My mum's from Dunbar which is a small town about 30 miles south of Edinburgh. It's pretty much an Edinburgh dormitory town now but the main work used to be farming, fishing and the cement works, and it really was a proper small town. Mum hasn't lived there since the early 60s but two of her four sisters and their one brother never left (well, their brother is dead now, but you know what I mean). Yesterday I found a Lost Dunbar group on facebook and so far I've found old school photos of 2 of her sisters and one of their brother, plus an excellent one of my aunt's husband's brother-in-law looking young and hot, when I've only ever seen him as a short round balding man with a tache and Simon Bates glasses. And I've learned that he use to play guitar in a band called Nick & the Sinners with a man called Jimmy Bain who went on to play bass in Rainbow and Dio.

I spent hours looking at old photos on the page last night and was nowhere near all the way through them. Facebook has its problems but for things like that, it's great.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

« Reply #157 on: 29 June, 2012, 01:51:23 am »
Well, well.  It seems my workplace has its very own page, with a picture of my new ward.  And our much-loved new management team.  How nice.

;)

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c100.0.403.403/p403x403/562176_448840798468665_2129342461_n.jpg

« Reply #158 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:00:37 am »
The guy at the back could have wandered in from the Sheraton.

LindaG

« Reply #159 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:01:58 am »
The guy at the back could have wandered in from the Sheraton.

The one in scrubs?

« Reply #160 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:08:39 am »
No, the ruddy-faced one in the shirt and tie.

(note for non-Teesside folk: the Sheraton is a cheap pub on Stockton High Street, next door to the Jobcentre).

« Reply #161 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:16:50 am »
Oh, him!

I have absolutely no idea who he is.  They probably dragged him in out the Sheraton for the photo to make up the numbers.  No doubt we'll be acquainted at my next disciplinary meeting eh?

Just slip him a mickey and he'll be your friend for the rest of your day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #162 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:07:10 am »
There's now a vid on Facebook showing my 98 year old great uncle on the cable car crossing the Thames, with his son (62) and carers pointing out features of the view.
IMO FB is worthwhile just for this.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #163 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »
^ Like!   :)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #164 on: 11 August, 2012, 01:31:40 pm »
You can't. All accounts are being switched to Timeline, though it seems to be happening in phases. You get one weeks warning before it is visible to others, so you can rearrange things or add a photo etc.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #165 on: 11 August, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »
It is pretty crap, time line seems to be even slower and more bloaty than the normal pages, at least on the devices I use.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #166 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »
It is pretty crap, time line seems to be even slower and more bloaty than the normal pages, at least on the devices I use.

If it's the iPhone app, that's the app itself. The app is apparently supposed to be being rewritten (but will look the same), but quicker.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #167 on: 14 August, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »
My dad just reactivated his account. I've just had to spend my lunchtime fiddling with my privacy settings!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #168 on: 14 August, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

I seldom find it necessary to visit my timeline page. I have friends grouped into different lists, from family through close friends down to those whom I accepted only out of politeness. Clicking the Facebook logo takes me to the main page where all my friend lists, groups, pages are down the left and I can choose whichever to view.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #169 on: 14 August, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
Still resisting  :-\

« Reply #170 on: 30 August, 2012, 10:50:41 am »
Mrs M has just signed up but only because our son has gone to  Canada for 8 months and FB  is one way  of keeping in touch.
 However this has set off the "I wonder who else is on this? " train of thought , which  then creates Friends Reunited in a different form.

« Reply #171 on: 30 August, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »
Thats why I said " a different form" . That seems to be my impression as well, FB for adults does allow you to catch up with recent aquaintances, especialy those who , up until now have only  merited a quick note on a Christmas card.
 Friends Reunited is more focussed towards school/uni   etc., although I'm sure there could be some overlap if we tried hard enough.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #172 on: 30 August, 2012, 02:20:01 pm »
Someone started a Facebook group for my school so for me it's fulfilled that dual role. And you don't have to pay for FB either.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #173 on: 20 September, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
I'm not, and shall remain not.
But Bradley Wiggins is, and seems to have my bike. Looks a bit portly to my eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.464998486873456.104297.178445785528729&type=1&l=2bb9b42495

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #174 on: 26 September, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »
I shouldn't care, but when I get "friend requests" emails from FB I feel guilty not checking the things. So - I get something like this every few months:

You have new notifications.
A lot has happened on Facebook since you last logged in. Here are some notifications you've missed from your friends.
   10 friend requests
View Notifications

If I click on the link, I then login, and there are no requests to be seen! (In fact I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one of these things since I signed up!) Is it all a lie?  :'(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles