Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127706 times)

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #125 on: 26 March, 2012, 12:33:18 am »
I tried to kill my Facebook existence in 2009 or so.

It was quite successful, or a desperate failure, depending how you look at it: I stayed off FB for six whole weeks - the point at which I realised parties and events were happening and everyone had forgotten I existed.

:-[

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #126 on: 28 March, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »
I'm helping some newbies get into computing and surfing the net.  They're a group of people mostly in their 60s and 70s.  It's interesting how often the subject of Facebook comes up.  They're interested because other family members are on it.  I'm in the embarrassing position of not being able to show or tell them much about it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

« Reply #127 on: 28 March, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
My age/era means that many people I'd rather like to catch up with are lost forever. 

Many people spend their entire lives moving from place to place, country to country, I like the way FB allows you to maintain a virtual village of acquaintances.  You can interact or not, it's your choice.
(This is more about t'Web in general, not FB:)

You're right, but the flipside is that it discourages physical interaction. For every photo emailed to grandfolks in Oz, there is a couple emailing each-other from adjacent rooms.

That's tragic, when people resort to electronic discussions rather than face-to-face.

Let's try to avoid ever stepping onto that slippery slope.

What do you think Matt?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #128 on: 28 March, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »
My age/era means that many people I'd rather like to catch up with are lost forever. 

Many people spend their entire lives moving from place to place, country to country, I like the way FB allows you to maintain a virtual village of acquaintances.  You can interact or not, it's your choice.
(This is more about t'Web in general, not FB:)

You're right, but the flipside is that it discourages physical interaction. For every photo emailed to grandfolks in Oz, there is a couple emailing each-other from adjacent rooms.

That's tragic, when people resort to electronic discussions rather than face-to-face.

Let's try to avoid ever stepping onto that slippery slope.

What do you think Matt?
I think it's time you made the tea. And don't put the empty milk carton back in the fridge this time  >:(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #129 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »
Irritatingly, Trustpilot (which I wanted to use to leave a POSITIVE review of a company) requires Facebook to sign up, so the company won't get a review from me.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #130 on: 01 April, 2012, 07:02:44 pm »
I'm not on Facebook, Twitter is about as far as I go.  Social networking isn't of that much use to a basically anti-social introvert like myself  ;)

Interesting article here , http://www.cultofmac.com/157641/this-creepy-app-isnt-just-stalking-women-without-their-knowledge-its-a-wake-up-call-about-facebook-privacy/  with further discussion at Charlie Stross's blog
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

metformin

« Reply #131 on: 13 April, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »
My wife and kids use facebook but I'll keep away from it. I think it causes more problems than it solves.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #132 on: 14 April, 2012, 10:45:30 am »
I am, although I don't use it a massive amount - a lot of the folks I know from round here are on Google+, whereas co-workers, family etc. are on FacePalm so most of my 'social networking' time is split between the two. But, like andrewc, I'm fundamentally an antisocial introvert :)

I very rarely use Twitter at the moment, although I suspect my usage may increase when I start going to strange places on a bicycle.

AndyK

« Reply #133 on: 14 April, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
I'm on Google+ too. The good thing about Google plus is that it's empty. All the morons are over there on Facebook and Twitter liking pictures of cats and retweeting what Katy Perry thinks about her new shoes.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #134 on: 14 April, 2012, 11:12:49 am »
I'm on Google+ too. The good thing about Google plus is that it's empty.
Even moreso since they unveiled the godawful 'new look' ;)

I noticed yesterday that Facebook have now shoehorned the 'timeline' into the iPhone app (probably the iPad app too, but I don't use that) and they've succeeded in making a bad thing even worse.

AndyK

« Reply #135 on: 14 April, 2012, 11:18:46 am »
I'm on Google+ too. The good thing about Google plus is that it's empty.
Even moreso since they unveiled the godawful 'new look' ;)

I noticed yesterday that Facebook have now shoehorned the 'timeline' into the iPhone app (probably the iPad app too, but I don't use that) and they've succeeded in making a bad thing even worse.

Are you serious? It's clean, tidy, easy to navigate. And it is nowhere near as buggy as Fb.

« Reply #136 on: 14 April, 2012, 06:41:15 pm »
I posted an update about an event on my ukcyclist page and a few days later a minor London cycle shop responded with a God Bless You All - 10% off when you visit our shop[etc]. So I responded that it's not a commercial page and I'd prefer replies to be vaguely on-topic. Seconds later came a hurriedly typed garble on the same lines. What did that achieve? They're both marked Spam and invisible now.

« Reply #137 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »
A couple of years back I quite liked FB, it led to getting in touch with people I'd not seen for years, the usual thing. These days I've come to see a less pleasant aspect to it, it seems to magnify the more dubious aspects of human relations and highlight the fact that when you've got serious problems to deal with in life there's only 2 people on your friends list who give a damn. A large portion are only interested if their being associated with you brings some sort of social enhancement, that tends to be the game I guess.
That, along with a vague feeling that it's all too 'corporate', without knowing what that means or whether it's worth caring about privacy/data protection, I'd like to find a less glossy, less advert-laden alternative.

« Reply #138 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
That, along with a vague feeling that it's all too 'corporate', without knowing what that means or whether it's worth caring about privacy/data protection, I'd like to find a less glossy, less advert-laden alternative.
How much would you be prepared to pay for such a service?

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

AndyK

« Reply #139 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:54:40 pm »

Google+. I have not found ads to be a problem since I installed AdBlock.

« Reply #140 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:07:54 pm »
@SteveC:
Probably nothing. . . I don't know though. . . something strikes me as not right about Facebook but I don't have a clear idea of what sort of alternative I'd prefer. There are useful aspects to the way it organises and facilitates the exchange of information but like myspace before it it seems too geared towards an aspirational notion of glossy magazine-style self-representation.

Maybe I'll give Google+ a go.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #141 on: 03 May, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
Facebook is worthwhile when I see my 98 year old great uncle is having a good time in Portugal as evidenced by photos posted today...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #142 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:06:20 am »
No. I'm on here only.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #143 on: 18 May, 2012, 11:51:16 pm »
Today, a second cousin on the other side of the family posted pics of his mother's 95th birthday. I'm warming to Facebook for the very old...

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #144 on: 19 May, 2012, 12:30:46 am »
My

And obviously, there's the whole keeping track of teenage offspring.

My offspring refuse to have me on their friends list- should I be worried?
It appears  it's  not cool to have mum and dad on their friends list

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #145 on: 19 May, 2012, 08:34:36 am »
Not cool.  But not optional.
Getting there...

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #146 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:39:04 pm »
I use it to keep in torch with old school friends, that live up north and what the cycling group are up to I.E Club rides and meetings 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #147 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:22:08 pm »
My great uncle was eating CAEK at Kenwood House today...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #148 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
I unfriended someone for the first time last week. I'd turned off his updates about a year ago because he was making daily snide remarks about the Wales rugby team during the World Cup. I'm no rugby fan, but they were becoming sly digs at the Welsh in general - I haven't really experienced that kind of patronising attitude from Little Englanders (he's someone who's lived and worked in Wales for 20 years or more!) since the early 80s. Even though I was blissfully unaware of most of his status updates, some of them came through when a mutual friend commented, specifically one about how proud he was to be British when he saw the Queen crying on TV. Several critical yet level-headed comments were made along the lines of "outrageous waste of money when people are suffering with the Coalition's cuts". He responded by making a sneering comment about the Welsh language to me, I snapped and instantly unfriended him. He later tried to say it was a joke - yes, like Jeremy Clarkson or AA Gill's "jokes", they betray a lack of respect.

Made me wonder quite a bit, in "real life" I've always avoided people like that, why am I "friends" with them in the first place?

« Reply #149 on: 31 May, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »
I find FB really good for keeping up to date with, and sharing things with, my cousins over the pond.  I have almost NO family left in GB, just in N Ireland and Canada/US.  It really helps me keep in touch.  Also with other "real" friends who live at a distance from me, particularly since I am disabled and have difficulty travelling to visit them.  Plus we have a page for our woods, and find it useful to keep people updated with news of events that we hold there, and we have recruited some volunteers via FB (although Twitter was better).

I have found it to be very good provide you ignore the adverts and stuff.  Perhaps I've just got good friends?
Spinning, but not cycling...