Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127715 times)

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #200 on: 10 December, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »
Hehe. Facebook is broken tonight. I can see trouble brewing, withdrawals are starting.  ;D
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #201 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »
That's nice. According to an email I've received my mother wants to be friends with me on Faceache. Well, it would be if she wasn't in a care home suffering from dementia.

As I speak write, I find my sister-in-law does too. Wow! She really hates this social media stuff.

I wonder if my dad (who died 37 years ago) will want to be my friend too?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #202 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »
Does anyone access the site on a feeble device - my netbook really doesn't like it much. Is there a "mobile" version that I can get to with my archaic Firefox version? Or Something?

(I did google for "mobile version" but it didn't really work out for me ... )

A big LIKE :thumbsup:  to Kim's post below. It's all about monopoly, like so many web sstuffs e.g.  YACF and Audax
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #203 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
Deactivated mine 2 months ago :)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #204 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
Does anyone access the site on a feeble device - my netbook really doesn't like it much. Is there a "mobile" version that I can get to with my archaic Firefox version? Or Something?
Mobile version here: https://m.facebook.com/

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #205 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
zactly what I was lookign for - thanks! (It ain't perfect, but at least I can post comments now. And most importantly it's fast.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #206 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
I continue to resist.
However Marj has just told me that LEL has a number of facebook pages.
Get thee behind me satan.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #207 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
I use FB is a number of ways and a number of purposes using different groups and pages, with a variety of privacy settings.

For example, my cycling pages are:
http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCyclingGame
and
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oundle-Cycling/113122995451999

In total I manage 5 pages and 3 groups, it is a very effective way of connecting with groups of people, coordinating events and sharing news.

« Reply #208 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:50:57 am »
I am getting increasingly frustrated by the spread of such as Facebook and Twitter. I freely admit that I am speaking largely from a position of ignorance, as a non-user, but I am not a Luddite regarding things digital, having freely embraced computers, email, et al.

But. It concerns me that I’m getting the impression that there is a trend towards Facebook and Twitter becoming “gateways” to information. There was a conversation recently on the LEL thread about this and comments were made that if I chose to cut myself off by refusing to use modern “conveniences” (my wording) then I have only myself to blame if I am left out of the loop.

Fair comment I thought, perhaps I ought to make more of an effort. I decided against Facebook because I’d read too many horror stories about how the company is constantly seeking to mine information for commercial purposes and sets traps on its software where the default setting is total disclosure, and because the big danger as I understand it is from postings other people put up.

But I thought I’d take a look at Twitter. If the LEL team want a rapid communications medium, easier than email circulation, then I’d perhaps do my bit and subscribe to the LEL Twitter feed. I was encouraged in this by researching the site and learning that there’s an option described as “Fast Follow” for those like me who “want [to follow someone] but don’t want to sign up”.

That’s me I thought and followed the instructions to set myself up to “follow LEL2013” without joining and getting a log-in, etc.

Within a matter of minutes the spam started to arrive. “Here’s a hot Tweet from the Daily Telegraph” (absolutely nothing to do with LEL or cycling) with an option to send a Tweet back to stop receiving messages from this sender. I promptly attempted to reply with a “Stop” message and got the response “Oh - you have to be signed in to do that.” So I could do nothing without capitulating and signing up; I chose not to.

Over the next few days, I received a steady stream of annoying texts advising me of “hot tweets” from a variety of sources, none of which could be stopped without signing up.

I have no confidence that, if I sign up, there will be a global setting which I can choose so that I receive messages from only those senders I choose. If I can’t rely on the company properly to describe a service such as “Fast Follow” how can I rely on them not to lie about everything? It’s precisely this kind of duplicity that causes me to think my previous impressions were correct and that this stuff is best avoided. I have now withdrawn from Twitter. It remains to be seen whether or not they will leave me alone.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #209 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:13:24 am »
I recently used Twitter for a school trip and encouraged parents to "Fast Follow", the only one that had a little trouble with spam was someone who it transpired had previously set up a twitter account but forgot about it. Maybe that is your case?

« Reply #210 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
.............the only one that had a little trouble with spam was someone who it transpired had previously set up a twitter account but forgot about it. Maybe that is your case?

I can say categorically that that doesn't apply to me. My recent experience is the only time I've even visited the Twitter website. I most certainly haven't set anything up and forgotten about it, sorry.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #211 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »
re Twitter:

I have no confidence that, if I sign up, there will be a global setting which I can choose so that I receive messages from only those senders I choose.

You can turn some or all notifications off when you've properly signed up.  So you can be confident now I've told you.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #212 on: 20 January, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »
re Twitter:
.....You can turn some or all notifications off when you've properly signed up.  So you can be confident now I've told you.
OK, just so's I'm clear here..............

Are you speaking from personal experience (hope that doesn't sound rude, but sometimes people report what they've been told)

And are you meaning that I can actually specify precisely which communicants I'll take Tweets from and I'll not get ANYTHING from ANYONE else? (Sorry, not shouting, honest!) :facepalm:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #213 on: 20 January, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
Yes I use Twitter and have checked the options.

As a signed-up member, you don't normally get an email when someone you are following tweets.  In fact I don't know how you do (if you can).  The idea is that you read tweets (from all you're following) whenever you fancy via the website or an application.  It's not meant to be a mailing list service.

Here's a rough copy and paste of the notification options:
Activity related to you and your Tweets
Email me when
My Tweets are marked as favorites My Tweets are retweeted My Tweets get a reply or I'm mentioned in a Tweet I'm followed by someone new I'm sent a direct message
Activity from your network
Email me with
Top Tweets and Stories Updates about activity from my Twitter network

Updates from Twitter
Email me with
News about Twitter product and feature updates Tips on getting more out of Twitter Things I missed since I last logged into Twitter News about Twitter on partner products and other third party services Participation in Twitter research surveys Suggestions about people I may know on Twitter.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #214 on: 20 January, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »
I am now and only because my bike club posts their ride updates on there. I have resisted a long time and if it wasn't for the club site I wouldn't have bothered.
Gibbo.

« Reply #215 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:10:16 pm »
Yes I use Twitter and have checked the options.

As a signed-up member, you don't normally get an email when someone you are following tweets.  In fact I don't know how you do (if you can).  The idea is that you read tweets (from all you're following) whenever you fancy via the website or an application.  It's not meant to be a mailing list service.

Here's a rough copy and paste of the notification options:
Activity related to you and your Tweets
Email me when
My Tweets are marked as favorites My Tweets are retweeted My Tweets get a reply or I'm mentioned in a Tweet I'm followed by someone new I'm sent a direct message
Activity from your network
Email me with
Top Tweets and Stories Updates about activity from my Twitter network

Updates from Twitter
Email me with
News about Twitter product and feature updates Tips on getting more out of Twitter Things I missed since I last logged into Twitter News about Twitter on partner products and other third party services Participation in Twitter research surveys Suggestions about people I may know on Twitter.
Ok, that's helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'll take another look at it when I get a chance.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #216 on: 20 January, 2013, 07:09:02 pm »
My intent is to never use Facebook.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #217 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:04:10 am »

In total I manage 5 pages and 3 groups, it is a very effective way of connecting with groups of people, coordinating events and sharing news.

Does it increase off line sociability, do you think?

I am not on it.  I did join years ago when Bebo was still in the running just to look at one link.  I used it that once but I still get requests from would be friends!
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #218 on: 14 February, 2013, 03:21:24 pm »
OK so who has a fake girlfriend?

A little bit of Monica in my life
A little bit of Erica by my side
A little bit of Rita is all I need
A little bit of Tina is what I see
A little bit of Sandra in the sun
A little bit of Mary all night long
A little bit of Jessica here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #219 on: 17 February, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
Mobile version here: https://m.facebook.com/

Bolox. They've 'upgraded' it - to shite. Loads of graphics and javascript wankiness.

I hereby revert my "Like Facebook?" status to "No - it's wank."

Sadly I am stuck with using it to communicate with various groups of wankers who know no better, so another dumb question:

I've "Liked" a page. Now my newsfeed/timeline is full of their bolox. Can i get rid of it?!?

[ A separate rant is that the newsfeed thing is completely ill-behaved, randomly missing posts from my "Friends". ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #220 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
Thanks RR. I didn't really want to "dislike" the page, but I clicked there anyway, as a last resort ... and lo-n-behold you get tickboxes for newsfeed/notifications! Why there?!? Who is this Zuckerberg guy and who put him in charge of everything?!?  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #221 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »
One of my friends on facebook has 5000 friends which is the maximum allowed by facebook

« Reply #222 on: 19 February, 2013, 06:07:20 am »
What's Facebook ?

Yours faithfully,

A. Luddite.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #223 on: 19 February, 2013, 04:51:31 pm »
What's Facebook ?

Yours faithfully,

A. Luddite.

Facebook is a pain in the a**e which has some useful features. It is grossly over-rated and it's quite possible tolive a rich and fulfilled life without it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #224 on: 19 February, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »
What's Facebook ?

A system for using people's acquaintances to mine personal data to sell to advertisers.  Its main function is to present people with a useless login page where there might once have been links to informative websites.