Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 128240 times)

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #225 on: 05 March, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
Sadly yes I am so is the guest house and so is my beesite.

Has it made a whit of difference? Not a single one that I am aware of.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #226 on: 05 March, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »
Thanks RR. I didn't really want to "dislike" the page, but I clicked there anyway, as a last resort ... and lo-n-behold you get tickboxes for newsfeed/notifications! Why there?!? Who is this Zuckerberg guy and who put him in charge of everything?!?  :facepalm:
He's CEO...bitch.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/business-cards-of-famous-people-including-1553158
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #227 on: 12 March, 2013, 01:34:56 am »
Likes can predict your race, IQ, sexuality, substance use, personality or political views
That people's opinions and background can be inferred from their, um, opinions, does not seem surprising.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #228 on: 12 March, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »
Data mining tool in successfully mining data shocker!

« Reply #229 on: 16 March, 2013, 05:59:29 pm »
Sadly yes, but not intentionally.

My "best mate" has posted a picture of me and him on his wall, taken at the Reading Rock Festival 1978.

One of my other "mates" showed it to me on his phone, whilst wetting himself laughing.

Can't see what was funny really, I mean didn't everyone have long hair, an ELP World Tour 74 t-shirt, an RAF Greatcoat, faded denims and cowboy boots in those days ?

LindaG

« Reply #230 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:21:21 am »
Sadly yes, but not intentionally.

My "best mate" has posted a picture of me and him on his wall, taken at the Reading Rock Festival 1978.

One of my other "mates" showed it to me on his phone, whilst wetting himself laughing.

Can't see what was funny really, I mean didn't everyone have long hair, an ELP World Tour 74 t-shirt, an RAF Greatcoat, faded denims and cowboy boots in those days ?

I think we need to see the picture if you want an honest opinion Littlesox.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #231 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:38:58 pm »
Someone has been wanting to 'friend' me for about 2 months now. I don't recognise him; previous spammer types have been really obvious. This guy only has 4 posts on his Wall.

Giving him the flick seems oddly mean ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #232 on: 07 April, 2013, 12:22:23 pm »
I'm actually starting to use it more again these days.

It's like any other tool - only useful if you have a use for it.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #233 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:59:49 am »
didn't everyone have long hair, an ELP World Tour 74 t-shirt, an RAF Greatcoat, faded denims and cowboy boots in those days ?
Of course. Certainly. I did.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #234 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:26:25 pm »
Has anyone else noticed (on m.facebook.com anyway) that posts are not appearing in time order?

I've seen this twice this week. Even took a screenshot in case I was going mad!

Bizarre website, just bizarre ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #235 on: 05 May, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »
Has anyone else noticed (on m.facebook.com anyway) that posts are not appearing in time order?

I'd noticed that as well.  Very annoying.

[/quote]
I blame Zukerburg keeping the offices at 15C.  Can't program sensibly in those temperatures.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #236 on: 05 May, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »

Have you tried
Settings - Most recent
Compared to Top stories

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #237 on: 08 May, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »
My 99 year old great uncle is in Spain. His carers are posting stills and videos of his exploits.
He seems to be having fun.
Which is good.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #238 on: 12 May, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

Have you tried
Settings - Most recent
Compared to Top stories
Er ... thanks ... but how the f**k else would they choose to order replies to a post?!?

Bizarre. And why f**k with something that worked OK before?  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #239 on: 17 May, 2013, 08:22:13 am »
Bizarre. And why f**k with something that worked OK before?  :facepalm:

That's my general problem with Facebook and why I virtually never use it now - I used to find it a useful way to connect with friends and family, now I find it an unusable piece of crap bloatware.

« Reply #240 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
And if you try to use the "most recent" setting then:

a) Facebook will change it back occasionally, just to annoy you.
b) You'll discover their interpretation of most recent is most recently posted topic, not topic with most recent posts.  So ongoing discussions disappear down the page.
c) Both of the rules above, and any other logic, will be overriden by any organisation which gives facebook money.

If you're used any kind of forum or newsgroup software before then it's a huge leap backward; crap bloatware as WW says.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #241 on: 25 May, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »
Glad to see so many people talking sense!

And if you try to use the "most recent" setting then:
b) You'll discover their interpretation of most recent is most recently posted topic, not topic with most recent posts.  So ongoing discussions disappear down the page.
This has long been a gripe of mine. It just reinforces the ephemeral nature of stuff on FB. You can't have a conversation with anyone for more than 5 minutes - there is only ever time for users to post the briefest inane replies, anything else gets lost.

:Mattc is - currently logged in, but ignoring facebook:

Is there any free software to lauch DofS attacks on an organisation's FB page? Please!!! Anything to make them use a grown-up form of communication...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #242 on: 29 May, 2013, 02:14:14 am »
It's got even worse and wants you to log ridiculous amounts of personal details and 'life events'.

So now I was born in 1905, educated on Mars and arrived here from the future in 1969.  If they won't take me seriously, I refuse to take them seriously.

I think I added a lot more about squirrels but I was drunk at the time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #243 on: 01 June, 2013, 12:21:25 am »
Mrs Cudzo has told me that Facebook has issued "friend" requests to people in her email address book, who she does not want to be "friends" with, without her knowledge. What really annoys her is those people have accepted her "request"!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #244 on: 01 June, 2013, 10:58:57 pm »
Facebook has turned into a weird stalky ex.  It wants to know what I'm doing, how I feel, and now - it wants my 'phone number!

Well it can't have it.

« Reply #245 on: 01 June, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »
Facebook became a nightmare so I have deactivated my account.   Stalkers becoming friends without my approval and a truly shite format sealed it's fate.   ;)   

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #246 on: 17 June, 2013, 02:32:52 pm »
Do you have your "real name" (which looks like a "real name") on your faceache profile? They are ridiculously strict on that policy, despite plenty of good reasons to the contrary.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #247 on: 17 June, 2013, 08:06:22 pm »
Are you posting every day trivial comments about what you've done, what you had for lunch etc?  If not, that's why you might get blocked.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #248 on: 17 June, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
 ;D

You could post every time you moan about FB on another (superior) social network.

HTH,
Matt
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #249 on: 17 June, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »
Well I have got myself blocked for 12 hours because admins on a group I'm on were running riot and I had the audacity to call them on it.  The weird thing is the issue happened on Saturday but the post I made got blocked today so I can read but not *do* anything.

Considerably unimpressed. I have registered my objections as best as possible cos they leave racist, sexist, violent, disablist and other hate speech up yet I get banned cos of some crazy group admins who decide they don't like me despite being someone who tried to mediate in a fight...

Fuckem.  Will probably leave the group in question if they're going to do that kind of shit.  I hope FB reply but I don't expect them to.  I'd ditch FB but that seems to be where people lurk these days including family and I am out of loops as it is.