Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 128586 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #300 on: 30 December, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »
I have wished Great Uncle Happy Birthday on Facebook.

It might be cheesy but it's still special. I am still amazed how the technology has allowed us to share so much so easily.

Shame the knobs abuse it.
It's only special cos you're an old fuddy duddy.
click
 :)

That's fine!
His children are in their late 50s/early 60s, all his grandchildren are over 20 and the great-grandchildren aren't yet up to computers or Facebook...

« Reply #301 on: 22 January, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »
Miss magnolia has been forbidden from having a Facebook account until she was 13 in,like,actual life. That happened a good while ago, and she really doesn't give a chuff about having an account at all.
No-one uses it, apparently.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #302 on: 22 January, 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
No-one uses it, apparently.
Most of those I encounter using it seem to be cycling clubs/organisations attempting to show how modern/hip they are ...  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #303 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:33:04 pm »
Facebook keeps advertising funeral plans to me. They know I'm getting on a bit.
If they targeted such advertising at The Yoof, they'd never bother with FB. Perhaps they do...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #304 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:02:45 am »
Occasionally they make a guess at my location. It appears to be based entirely on my Friends, and is a good shot - but if they expect me to help them, well ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #305 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:34:11 am »
It's amusing that FB keeps having three guesses at my school.  Last time, it suggested a girls school attended by one of my friends. ;D
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #306 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:24:08 am »
this "login via Facebook" business is getting on my tits.

Just tried the "share... " button on change.org. Same old depressing message:

Change.org will receive the following info: your public profile, friend list and email address.

In which case you can f*** off  ::-)

(Does Facebook actually allow other sites to use their login feature WITHOUT giving away your public profile, friend list and email address ? Doesn't seem too difficult on a technical level. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #307 on: 29 January, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »
This obsession with using FB for logins and likes etc. is an utter nonsense.

PS news report today appears to say that Twittering and FaceBooking is a past-time for narcissists.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #308 on: 29 January, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »
Oh it's fine if you simply understand that they'd like to make money. I don't do apps that want my details. Those I do use have privacy set to 'only me'. I don't post anything I wouldn't say in public (much like here).

« Reply #309 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »
The idea is to move towards "logging in to the Internet" instead of logging in to each site. In another version, your browser handles the central log in.

Your public profile is public anyway. Your Facebook friends list can probably be seen by anyone who is logged in (and anyone can register and log in, so that's anyone able to see your friends list).

OK, they can't get your email address, but, if you don't log in using Facebook and still want to log in, you're going to have to register on the other site and give them your email address anyway.

It's not the information as such that gives me pause for thought, so much as the linking together of everything. If I'm using Facebook to log in to various other sites, that's me definitely identified as the same person on all of them.

I just use a password manager and have a separate account on each site.

« Reply #310 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »
Friend lists can be private - Joe Public will only see mutual friends in my profile.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #311 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:09:04 pm »
Facebook could act like my password manager in this case. I'm not bothered about being linked to many sites that I'll only use a few times - theyre the ones that it's so annoying to register on.

But they've added these extra privacy infringements  ::-)

(If I want to use a site regularly, maybe state some forthright views, I'll create a proper puppet account  and call myself something innocuous like Matt ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #313 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:24:24 am »
Where's the button to leave facebook?  I signed up for it before Christmas to look at one thing, but I've got very cold feet about it.  I've looked and looked for it, it must be deliberately hidden.  Admittedly I haven't had time to read all the pages of this thread.

« Reply #314 on: 30 January, 2014, 05:47:51 pm »
You are right, it is more like Hotel California than you'd imagine:

I followed the steps you outlined above and then had to enter my password to confirm.  A message told me that my password wasn't correct.  I went back, logged out, and logged in again using the same password and went through the same process, with the same password, with the same result.

If my concerns were speculative at first, the interaction I've just had with the sight has made them a bit more real.

« Reply #315 on: 30 January, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #316 on: 30 January, 2014, 06:33:36 pm »
http://techland.time.com/2014/01/27/how-much-time-have-you-wasted-on-facebook/

That's rubbish.  It says I've wasted zero hours on Facebook, when I've clearly spent ages waiting for interesting links to take me to the login page of futility, and applying social engineering techniques to find out details of events.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #317 on: 30 January, 2014, 06:43:24 pm »
Exactly what I was about to post, Kim.  (Well, not quite so well written)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #318 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »
Calculating....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #319 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:05:55 pm »
I also suspect that the more important number is the dimensionless ratio of time spent on Facebook to time spent riding one's bike.  (Sorry CL)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #320 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:07:10 pm »
Calculating....

That took a while!

Hmm.  Quite a lot of time, but I know that a lot of it is spent talking to geographically distant Good Friends so, tbh, I don't necessarily consider it wasted.  For a proper scary stat, of course, I can always go look at 'total time online' in my profile here.

« Reply #321 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »
I also suspect that the more important number is the dimensionless ratio of time spent on Facebook to time spent riding one's bike.  (Sorry CL)
I think you'll find some of us manage both at the same time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #322 on: 30 January, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
I think you'll find some of us manage both at the same time.

That is, of course, cheating.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #323 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »
FB informs me my centenarian great uncle is on the pier at Southend enjoying fish'n'chips.

« Reply #324 on: 13 February, 2014, 12:45:32 pm »

IRL (in real life) no one has ever asked me, "Could I invite you to like ...?" Rather, "Could I introduce to ...," or, "Would you like to meet my friend ...?" It must be a strange world at Facebook where IRL doesn't exist.

In that case you're being invited to like a page. It may be a page about a person, but it isn't a personal profile. Often done for/by famous people or those who wish to be.