Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127694 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #350 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:14:19 pm »
How in heaven's name has Friendface linked me up with my ex-landlord???

Yes, I do know him.  No, I don't want to friend him.

Just bizarre.  I don't know anyone else who knows him!

Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #351 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:17:38 am »
I need some help, from those who understand these things.

I've been signed up to farcebook for yearsanyearsanyears although I almost never "use" it. I recently found that my strategy of not using my birthdate or real name on my profile has backfired, but that's not why I need help.

Currently, I am using it regularly to follow my daughter in Australia and Tarzan. Most of the time this isn't a problem, and it can be interesting to see what others are sharing in idle moments. But, there are two friends (who are actually friends) who post nsfw stuff. One I'm reasonably cool about as (a) It's normally not that bad (b) he is a glamour photographer these days (c) his fb posts are infrequent. The other chap's likes are far less discreet, and currently daily.

Is there any way of stopping the feed from a friend without "unfriending"? I doubt there will be in fb, but possibly a plug-in?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #352 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:22:30 am »
I need some help, from those who understand these things.

I've been signed up to farcebook for yearsanyearsanyears although I almost never "use" it. I recently found that my strategy of not using my birthdate or real name on my profile has backfired, but that's not why I need help.

Currently, I am using it regularly to follow my daughter in Australia and Tarzan. Most of the time this isn't a problem, and it can be interesting to see what others are sharing in idle moments. But, there are two friends (who are actually friends) who post nsfw stuff. One I'm reasonably cool about as (a) It's normally not that bad (b) he is a glamour photographer these days (c) his fb posts are infrequent. The other chap's likes are far less discreet, and currently daily.

Is there any way of stopping the feed from a friend without "unfriending"? I doubt there will be in fb, but possibly a plug-in?

YES! Find one of his posts.

Hover over it, a cross downward pointing arrow will appear in the top right corner.  Click on this and follow the prompts.

Job done.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #353 on: 26 March, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »
Thanks!

« Reply #354 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:48:40 am »
My current interest in facebook content (related to following Steve & Miss Ham) means that I am loading it up daily. As I have quite a lot of "friends" related to my interests, unsurprisingly I have a lot of content appearing that I find interesting. However, I think I am also finding what it is that I dislike about the Facebook environment, in that it strives to control and direct links and content internally. For example, videos are frequently FB internal, the context and interpretation is then often skewed from the original. those videos are always available externally, too, which can provide a different perspective.

One good example is the the Rachel Maddow I linked  here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89418.msg1837316#msg1837316 - it was only once I had taken the trouble to go off the FB piste that I find that the shop visitors were not random members of the public but people believing they were taking part in a marketing experiment (which they were, obv)

The more I use FB, the more I can see the appeal, the less I like it.

ETA - and it was also interesting to find that
Maddow is the first openly gay anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the United States

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #355 on: 02 April, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »
I have now returned to the system, mainly as a publicity thing for my scribbles. I am there under my real name as well as the 'initials' version I use on my books.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #356 on: 04 April, 2015, 08:22:45 am »
I like to be as 'anonymous' as I can on FB. I don't play games, I don't share extremist stuff etc.

I rather quickly drop 'friends' who are constantly sharing Britain First shite but I'm increasingly annoyed with FB itself for not being content with me dropping something or someone and constantly asking 'Why?'

'Have we not loved you? Have we not shared and enjoyed with you . . . ?' What's worse is that there isn't a checkbox for 'This is an arrogant, sexist, dickhead and I wouldn't be seen dead in the same crem!' Nor is there a box marked 'Look! I don't want to see ANY FUCKING ADVERTS!'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #357 on: 04 April, 2015, 09:24:05 am »
I like to be as 'anonymous' as I can on FB. I don't play games, I don't share extremist stuff etc.

I rather quickly drop 'friends' who are constantly sharing Britain First shite but I'm increasingly annoyed with FB itself for not being content with me dropping something or someone and constantly asking 'Why?'

'Have we not loved you? Have we not shared and enjoyed with you . . . ?' What's worse is that there isn't a checkbox for 'This is an arrogant, sexist, dickhead and I wouldn't be seen dead in the same crem!' Nor is there a box marked 'Look! I don't want to see ANY FUCKING ADVERTS!'

FB seems to go through phases of 'encouraging' you to tell everyone all about yourself, join groups, play games, pay to boost posts. That's okay, the people who succumb effectively pay for my use of it.  Adblock works for the ads.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #358 on: 04 April, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
I seem to have set up a facebook account. I remain to be convinced that this is a good idea. Dez persuaded me to do it because "everyone else" in the local Green Party is on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #359 on: 04 April, 2015, 03:01:36 pm »
I seem to have set up a facebook account. I remain to be convinced that this is a good idea. Dez persuaded me to do it because "everyone else" in the local Green Party is on.

I see you friended me...

« Reply #360 on: 04 April, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »
Facebook just got hairier.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #361 on: 06 April, 2015, 12:49:40 am »
Facebook very quickly found a woman with whom I used to run the local Woodcraft Folk - when Dez and his siblings were of that sort of age - so about 25 years ago. She accepted my friendship this morning.

When I came in this evening after our bike ride, I had a message from her. "Was that you I saw riding through East Hanningfield this afternoon?"

Small world.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #362 on: 06 April, 2015, 01:11:40 am »
Small world.

It's a very small world on facebookery!  Year or so back I made a comment on a friends status who I knew from years back playing rugby.  A mutual friend then turned out to be a work friend from 25 years plus ago.

This all ended in a work reunion, myself and 25 ladies!!! 

Edit.  None looked any older than they did 25 years back.  In fact, they all looked rather splendid!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #363 on: 06 April, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »
We have just had something similar.

I had added Poulton-le-Fylde Teachers' Training College as my "university", not having a real one, you understand. So far as I could ascertain, the only other person to have done so was one Howard Raw, who was in the same year as Mrs. Wow and myself. When I took a look at his facebook page he is FB friends with one Peli OTP. It turns out that Howard taught Vicky, is still teaching well past the age of 60 and is a generally very well liked and respected Good Egg.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #364 on: 23 April, 2015, 03:06:10 pm »
My 101-year-old Great Uncle has been sitting in the sun in the café at Golders hill Park with his younger son today...
That is life and Facebook as they should be...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #365 on: 27 April, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »
I see my great uncle had lunch in Hendon Park with my parents and his younger son today.
The combined age of the foursome is 326, I think.

« Reply #366 on: 08 June, 2015, 09:35:07 pm »
I have two accounts.  One is locked right down and is just for mum to keep up to date in Australia.  It is not my correct name either.
The other is totally fictional and is a skeleton account I use for work.  It is great at finding out stuff and especially associates of wanted people and even where wanteds may be.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #367 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:58:27 am »
Facebook announced the birth of my latest second cousin once removed (with grinning photo of proud mum) before child's grandfather had chance to email me. (Is that a First World problem?)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #368 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
How long are its tentacles ...

This morning my work supervisor popped up in the "people you may know" section.

there is no work info on my profile, I have no "Friends" at work. I dont even list my surname!

(I suspect there is a "List Mutual Friends" button, but pressing that will only feed more info into the machine ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #369 on: 17 August, 2015, 08:14:49 pm »
There one aspect I really loathe about Facebook (OK, more than one) and that is the way they appropriate content - pics, video - from other sources without credit. So much of it goes on, which is weird as I would have thought the original provider (eg Youtube) would complain. Apart from anything else it strips away the context, leaving only the asinine comment of the re-posting Facebook person.

Surely this has to break copyright?

« Reply #370 on: 17 August, 2015, 08:27:20 pm »
I joined  a few weeks ago to see if I could find my daughter, but no such luck  :'(

« Reply #371 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:39:55 pm »
I notice that recently embedded videos start playing as soon as they come into view. I have looked through the preferences and security setting but I cannot see how to stop this. If you know do please tell as it is driving me mad and so I now look at friends' pages less than before (which was rarely).

Go to settings under the little down arrow at the top right on your Facebook home screen, right at the bottom is a "videos" menu item on the left.  Click on that and change autoplay from default to off. That should do it :thumbsup:

red marley

« Reply #372 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:45:14 am »
Since this morning, it appears that I am no longer able to view Facebook pages without having an account and logging in. Is it just me or have FB changed access rights to previously public pages?

I really don't want to give my data away to FB so am not going to sign up, but it does make it a pain to follow progress of Kurt, Steve and Miles in the OYTT.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #373 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:49:03 am »
Since this morning, it appears that I am no longer able to view Facebook pages without having an account and logging in. Is it just me

It's not just you. I can no longer access Tarzan's FB account >:(.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #374 on: 27 August, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »
My FaceTube seems to have recently been overrun with stuff about things my friends are liking.  X (my friend) likes Y (their friend, NOT mine)'s new profile picture.  Why would I give a tuppenny f*ck about that?

(As an aside, αdαmsκι, how's the world of teaching treating you?  I taught at Derby College for 4 years after John Port TP, but have recently reverted to Structural Engineering so that I can have a quiet easy life.  I never really resumed cycling after the PGCE, but have taken up running - though not as fast as you!)