Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 81988 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #125 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »
Temps of 0 degrees forecast for tomorrow.

What's the likelihood of ice on the roads we'll be taking, does anyone know? Living where I do I've not had to deal with ice so far... :-\

You haven't had ice in St Ockwell?  Blimey, you're lucky.  You should try it over the river.  We've got icy roads in Pimlico...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #126 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:34:15 pm »
The last time I looked it was also forecasting sunshine.  As long as there isn't rain between now and then, the ground will probably be dry, so ice isn't really an issue.  I've been commuting all this week, supposedly with icy conditions, but have yet to meet anything dangerous.

My tyres are probably narrower and possibly pumped up harder than yours (100psi front and rear at the moment), so could be worse in slippery conditions.  I'm not worried about it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Regulator

« Reply #127 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »
The last time I looked it was also forecasting sunshine.  As long as there isn't rain between now and then, the ground will probably be dry, so ice isn't really an issue.  I've been commuting all this week, supposedly with icy conditions, but have yet to meet anything dangerous.

My tyres are probably narrower and possibly pumped up harder than yours (100psi front and rear at the moment), so could be worse in slippery conditions.  I'm not worried about it.

Famous last words?   ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #128 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:35:44 pm »
Chilli and rice for me please.

I is not feeling too well today (a cold and the shivers) but bollocks to that! I'm still coming! Even if it kills me :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #129 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »
Famous last words?   ;) ;D

Or smug ones, depending. ;D

If Annie's willing to risk it on her Birthday ride, I certainly am.

« Reply #130 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:44:52 pm »
I've commuted all week too. The roads between Oxford Circus and St Ockwell are all really well gritted, and I come through Pimlico/Victoria on my way to work, and that's all well-gritted too...maybe it's cos I don't leave til after 8.30am, I dunno. Even the cycle path in Hyde Park is fine.

You know I like to worry about these things.

« Reply #131 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »
I was out last weekend when it was just as cold and the country lanes were mostly dry. There were some patches of ice at the sides of the road in places, but these could be easily and safely circumnavigated. The rule is, if you see any ice on the road - shout out very loudly so that everyone else is aware!

I came off my Brompton this morning turning into work - black ice! :demon: It was kind of fun actually - you've got to have a good "smack-down" every now and then, haven't you. :P

« Reply #132 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:27:41 pm »
I'm fairly smack-down averse, actually... (various members here will testify  ;D)

« Reply #133 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:43:03 pm »
I wonder how many smack-downs there have been in the UK over the past couple of weeks!? Thousands?

My last smack-down was in Belgium last summer. Mind you, I was HAMMERED  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

alan

« Reply #134 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:52:54 pm »
Smack-down.
Are we still on about cycling O:-)

« Reply #135 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:54:18 pm »
Smack-down.

I'm not sure, but I'll agree with NSTN in avoiding anything on the bike which ends up with bruising and me going "Ouch" or worse.

Regulator

« Reply #136 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:55:01 pm »
Smack-down.

I thought he was talking about his rejection by the young lady he tried to pick up at the beer festival outside Brugges...  ;)

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #137 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »
Here in Saarfend, we had about half an inch of snow on Monday. In places, it is still lying, which indicates that the temperature must have remained pretty much below freezing in all that time. Where the sun has been on it, of course, it has gone.

We are riding immediately after the driest December since records began (about 50 years ago) at Hanningfield Reservoir, which is about 20 (or fewer) miles from our route (I know this because my brother has worked there for the past 40 years and he told me). I think there is likely to be little ice. Having said that, the pavements outside our house this morning were icy with frozen dew at about 10 o'clock - I had to cycle the wrong way down the 1-way street to avoid the ice!

We had a very cold ride on 30th December (Essex Christmas Pootle) in which the temperature did not go above freezing all day and Jurek said was his coldest day's cycling ever. Mrs. Wow and I ventured forth with the CTC on Sunday and it was even colder. The only ice we encountered was my exhaled condensation which congealed in my beard. I'm hoping tomorrow will be no different.

To be fair, my biggest worry is fog.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #138 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »
I must remember to wear my overshoes... unlike this morning.  My feet were freezing this morning, and are likely to be again this evening.  I didn't realise until I'd got about a third of the way in, and I wasn't about to add 8 miles to my commute to go back and get them.

I should also probably have another attempt at finding my ear warmers, just in case it's colder than I can tolerate.

I laugh at fog... and cheat by using my GPS to find my way around.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #139 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »
It's not getting lost that worries me. It's buggers driving too fast for the conditions.

« Reply #140 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
I think that ice won't be a problem.
There may be some, in shady lanes where the sun doesn't get to it. But the roads are reasonably dry at the moment. At worst, we can walk over that. I avoid ice, but I've decided to come along for the ride. I'll be riding overnight to the start. That's how confident I am about ice not being a problem. At night, you can't see the ice until you're right on top of it.
On my ride home from work today, the dew on the grass was still frozen from this morning. But not even the untreated roads were icy.

It will be jolly cold though. My scarf will be in service. Wool and thermals are my friends.
See you there, hopefully. :thumbsup:

I laugh at fog... and cheat by using my GPS to find my way around.

Fog isn't a problem.
Unless, like wowbagger and NSTN, you need to wear glasses.
I heard somewhere that squirting washing up liquid onto your glasses, then cleaning it off with a cloth until they are dry will stop them getting fogged up. Maybe you could try that?

annie

« Reply #141 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
I am now home.  It is very, very foggy out there, out there being East Bergholt and beyond.

It is about -2 but feels much colder.

We had freezing fog all day today.

I have ridden quite a lot over the last couple of weeks on my skinny 23's and been fine, I am cautious though but not overly.

I still intend to be there, to ride carefully and not too close to the person in front, just in case.

Sorry you can't make it Jurek, some other time perhaps.

Right, I have a bath to jump into and a dinner to eat at some stage very soon.

« Reply #142 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:55:29 pm »
It's not getting lost that worries me. It's buggers driving too fast for the conditions.
I volunteer to be TEC if required, I have lights and Hi Viz if needed!

annie

« Reply #143 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »
Great to hear you will be coming along TG :thumbsup:  Any idea what you fancy to nibble?

« Reply #144 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »
I volunteer to be TEC if required, I have lights and Hi Viz if needed!

Failing that, I've got my Dinotte rear light, with it's "I can't believe it's not a police car" red flashing mode!

« Reply #145 on: 09 January, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »
I'll bring a foghorn.

« Reply #146 on: 09 January, 2009, 06:06:22 pm »
Great to hear you will be coming along TG :thumbsup:  Any idea what you fancy to nibble?

Yes, I have.
Unfortunately, it's not on your menu and if I did nibble what I fancied, I'd most likely recieve a hefty slap! :demon: ;D

(I've PM'd you what I would like to eat though O:-))

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #147 on: 09 January, 2009, 06:27:02 pm »
Thanks, Del & TimO. That's most reassuring. We clearly won't be going quickly so hopefully that will give me the opportunity to be near the front.

Do you want to join us on the early train, Del? Or risk the more crowded 9.02 from Shenfield?

annie

« Reply #148 on: 09 January, 2009, 06:28:30 pm »

Yes, I have.
Unfortunately, it's not on your menu and if I did nibble what I fancied, I'd most likely recieve a hefty slap! :demon: ;D

(I've PM'd you what I would like to eat though O:-))

Thanks TG, pm received, cow ordered.

Stay safe, see you in the morning.

Can't wait. x

« Reply #149 on: 09 January, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »
After  reading that the whole of London would join in I decided to get the earlier train anyway, 0808@Prittlewell I believe.

Thanks TG, pm received, cow ordered.
Only the one!  :o