Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369259 times)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1275 on: 30 June, 2018, 02:58:30 pm »
Didn't see the programme but if he who I think he are, he a overprivileged actor from a huntin', shootin' and fishin' over-privileged dynasty.

Into Room 101 with him!

ian

« Reply #1276 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
If someone starts to hassle me about 'being a cyclist' (and I'll admit I'm an atypical non-lycra lout), I just fix them was a intent stare and ask them how many people have you killed? Obviously they haven't killed anyone (that they're admitting) so I ask them about their various driving faux pas – red lights jumped, speed limits broken, pavements parked on. Don't pause, just drill, I mean, seriously you've never ever broken any law in your car? Are you absolutely sure?

You'll soon find they don't want to talk about how much they hate cyclists.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1277 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:00:00 pm »
WVM:  "Oh, its a bird."

(I assume the other options were 'plane'[1] and 'superman')

Random car passenger: "Enjoying yourself(?)"

(Type 1.5 fun, thanks for asking.)

[1] Insert wheelpants comment here.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1278 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:11:06 pm »

Today:

"FIETSPAD MORON!"

"RIDE STRAIGHT!"

and

"DON'T STOP THERE FUCKWIT!"

Alas, whilst all these were directed at cyclists (bar the 1st one, which was at a pedestrian), they were all shouted by me, at Gormless morons on BSOs (except the pedestrian) that were going out of their way to be a right pain on my commute to work.

It amazes me that tourists manage to step out into the cycle path without looking, and survive... The near misses on this are clocking up at several per week!

The guy who stopped in the middle of the fiets pad to check maps on his phone was sufficiently stupid in their placement that I had to swerve twice, before bouncing off his flank.

Ah Tourist season... The IQ of a tourist seems inversely proportional to temperature... as well as inversely proportional to precipitation, which ever is greater of the two...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1279 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:32:45 am »
Personally I think you need to lighten up a bit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1280 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:33:15 am »

Come join me on my morning commute and lets see if you still agree...

Had a pedestrian step out into the fietspad yesterday while staring at her phone. Was a close call...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1281 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:56:09 am »

Come join me on my morning commute and lets see if you still agree...

Had a pedestrian step out into the fietspad yesterday while staring at her phone. Was a close call...

J
So did most people.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1282 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:08:16 am »
I rode all of about 4km in That London yesterday, using one of Mr Boris's hire bikes.

In that time I experienced:

- Two wobbly tourists (also on hire bikes) who didn't appear to have any road sense whatsoever, but were evidently having a great time.
- Being cut up by a proper lycra-clad cyclist on a road bike (who then proceeded to jump a red).
- Three counts of lemming pedestrians (one phone zombie, and then a couple who decided hearing was sufficient to determine that it was safe to cross the road).
- One aggressive taxi driver who wanted me out of the way.

I didn't feel the need to shout at anyone.  I did feel the need to anticipate more than usual, as the Boris Brakes are merely a polite suggestion.  But I generally consider lemmings and idiots on bikes to be an integral part of cycling in London.  (The motor traffic is less of an issue, it's like Brummies but slowed down and less rule-bound.)

Nobody shouted at me, either.  Indeed, one of the great things about London is the lower level of street harassment generally.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1283 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:13:03 am »
- Two wobbly tourists (also on hire bikes) who didn't appear to have any road sense whatsoever, but were evidently having a great time.
I spoke to some one who said that the Boris bikes are great for cycling because so many tourist uses them and that makes other think a bit more.

I just saw a program on SBS (Australian News channel) about the free/hire bikes that is dock less. They are now getting dumped all over the place in Sydney and is creating eye sore come littering issue. The Damage I saw on these bikes, can't just be a hard life and vandalism, it really looked like they were made of butter.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1284 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:20:48 pm »
(The motor traffic is less of an issue, it's like Brummies but slowed down and less rule-bound.)

Interesting; I've not spent much time driving or cycling in Birmingham proper, but I have to say my experience of West Midlands drivers is that they're abominable - I'd take London any day.

On the whole, a Zen attitude is probably best when mixing it up with city traffic (of both the motorised and non-motorised kind), but this is oft easier said than done. TBH I find cycle-ped chaos enough of a pleasing novelty that I don't mind it so much; when I lived in Cambridge it was common enough to be rather more tedious...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1285 on: 10 July, 2018, 03:42:02 pm »
(The motor traffic is less of an issue, it's like Brummies but slowed down and less rule-bound.)

Interesting; I've not spent much time driving or cycling in Birmingham proper, but I have to say my experience of West Midlands drivers is that they're abominable - I'd take London any day.

Agreed.  As well have having more cyclists and wandering pedestrians, nobody expects to get anywhere quickly by motor vehicle inside Zone 3, and traffic lights etc are generally taken with a pinch of salt, so there's a sort of chaotic relaxedness about it that the West Midlands lacks.

The easiest way to piss off a Birmingham driver is to do anything that might hold them up.  Being A Cyclist at a pinch point, or stalling[1] your motor vehicle when the lights turn green are popular ways to get shouted/hooted at.  But they're a bit more law-abiding: You rarely see more than one car go through after the lights turn red, for example, and blocking a box junction will tend to result in a torrent of abuse.

[1] EV drivers have the option of selecting 'drive' without having depressed the brake pedal first and wondering why nothing happens.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1286 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:36:36 pm »
Not a shout at all, a conversation with a drunk who approached me while I was waiting at the traffic lights by the town gate in Chepstow. After some initial incoherent mumbling and gesticulation, he managed to come out with "What do you think of a Welshman winning the Tour de France?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1287 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:17:00 pm »
Not a shout at all, a conversation with a drunk who approached me while I was waiting at the traffic lights by the town gate in Chepstow. After some initial incoherent mumbling and gesticulation, he managed to come out with "What do you think of a Welshman winning the Tour de France?"

ah, Chepstow, town of my misspent youth and continuing local devotion to the pub by the sounds of it.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1288 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:21:52 pm »
"Shut the fcuk up!"

A section of the riverside pavement along the Embankment is closed due to SuperSewer works.  As a bit more room is needed, the E-W cycleway has been shifted into a lane of the road.  There is no replacement pavement - there are a multiple of signs stating this fact and directing pedestrians to cross the road.  During working hours there's a bod at either end attempting to keep the peds honest. 

Anyway... I enter the western end and encounter three peds coming around the corner.  And what did I say to elicit the above quote?  Absolutely nothing - all I did was shake my head. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1289 on: 02 August, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »
Today riding through Lanchester - couldn't hear what they were shouting but it was accompanied by an egg which hit me square in the back.

B@st@rds but the resulting adrenaline rush powered me up Peth Bank in pretty quick time.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1290 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:00:51 pm »
I had the car matching speed alongside thing so they could film me thing earlier.  Unusually, it was slow and quiet enough that I could ask "Where do all these photos go?" (I've previously tried and failed to find any on the interwebs), and got the reply "Just on my phone...".  Which, having thought about it as they drove off, is actually rather creepy.   :sick:

« Reply #1291 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:14:02 pm »
Is this a voyeur thing? Never heard of this happening before but perhaps another case of a man (me) not appreciating the crap women have to face day by day. What a world.
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1292 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »
Happens all the time when you ride a recumbent.  Seems to have parallels to oik behaviour towards people with certain disabilities, body shapes, etc. with the key difference that I can always get off my bike.

« Reply #1293 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:22:31 pm »
So sorry that your day was tainted by such a low-life wanker. I hope tomorrow is better.
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1294 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »
I tend to be pragmatic about such things, as it means they're paying attention and therefore unlikely to drive into me.  Also, I'm riding my bike, so probably having more fun than they are.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1295 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:27:21 pm »
I think it might not actually be creepy voyeurism, but just "Wow, what's that weird looking thing? Slow down and let me take a photo!"
Many people will never have come across a repugnant.
The picture is only intended as something to show their mates in the pub, as something a bit unusual.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1296 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:28:46 pm »
I think it might not actually be creepy voyeurism, but just "Wow, what's that weird looking thing? Slow down and let me take a photo!"
Many people will never have come across a repugnant.
The picture is only intended as something to show their mates in the pub, as something a bit unusual.

Tell that to the person with dwarfism, thobut.

There's clearly a spectrum between that and "Hey nice bike, can I take a photo?" (which is absolutely fine).

Feanor

« Reply #1297 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:32:37 pm »
Well, I suppose the difference is between someone who *is* a bit unusual versus someone who is *doing* something a bit unusual.

They seem different situations to me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1298 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:34:24 pm »
Well, I suppose the difference is between someone who *is* a bit unusual versus someone who is *doing* something a bit unusual.

They seem different situations to me.

With a blurry bit in the middle (eg. handcycling to the shops).

Anyway, it's just the way he said it sounded creepy.  I'm sure he's not actually wanking over grainy drive-by pictures[1] of recumbents.  There are, after all, perfectly good websites for that sort of thing.

[1] He was holding it in portrait aspect ratio too.  Some people have no class.

Feanor

« Reply #1299 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
OK, yes, I see what you mean about the blurry bits in the middle.

Anyway, have you registered WetRecumbents.com yet?
It might lead the unwary Audaxer to a Rule 34 site...