Author Topic: 360 Photos  (Read 2388 times)

360 Photos
« on: 07 June, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »
Well, I am now the proud possessor of a Samsung Gear 360, pretty much the cheapest standalone entry point into 360 photography (excluding £30 lumps of plastic). Bought as an "open box" new at less than half price, it didn't break the bank. I'd figgered that the complexities of 360 would mean it was likely that there would be little wrong with the open box, and it seems I was right.

The Samsung appears to only play nice with a samsung phone (wot I have not got) and iPhone. After a half hearted try at getting it to work with my Pixel 2, I ended up using my iPhone5S, which appears a little underpowered, but it works. The 15Mp (5.4x2.7k) for 360 won't light any fires, for sure, but it looks like it might be a bit of fun.

Here's a few still shots in the grounds of Ham Hall, it should render as a 360 in a browser on clicking, next to try video
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN45dk6CSuAzAsULU1CyAxrwbH4SiXFgadu-bQB5iUl4RFeeSi9TUKSTVR43tYRzw?key=a05CNEN3U3BDZ2JoRW9OTFh6ZmZFRVl5eGlETDR3

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: 360 Photos
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2018, 07:37:44 pm »
Cat not impressed :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2018, 07:48:58 pm »
That'll be because I explained to her that the effective resolution of a 15Mp @ 360 would be something like 0.5Mp for a 35mm lens view.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »
That looks like a fat cat, seems the camera does add 15 lb after all
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2018, 12:26:00 pm »
I've seen some dramatic 360deg videos but I'm OK with my phone's "Panorama mode" and "Virtual Shot" on the rare occasions I want a 360 deg photo*

Would be good to see to downhill MTB action.

*Which to date is never.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2018, 08:46:28 am »
I've seen some dramatic 360deg videos but I'm OK with my phone's "Panorama mode" and "Virtual Shot" on the rare occasions I want a 360 deg photo*

*Which to date is never.

My fondness for the 360 snapshot has increased as I've used them, as yet only stitched from my phone (more added to the album). For example, this 360 of my local bluebell wood actually  imparts some sense of what it is like to stand there. Or, this one from a tour, even though it is somewhat poorly taken and stitched still means more to me than any snapshot.

However, as can be seen, results from a phone are patchy at best, and time consuming to achieve, which is why I am experimenting with the dedicated cam. I strongly suspect that I am going to get hacked off with the low resolution, but let's see.

ETA. I've worked out how  to summarise it now: 360 is about recording being there, as opposed to recording something you can see from there.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »

*Which to date is never.

My fondness for the 360 snapshot has increased as I've used them, as yet only stitched from my phone (more added to the album). For example, this 360 of my local bluebell wood actually  imparts some sense of what it is like to stand there. Or, this one from a tour, even though it is somewhat poorly taken and stitched still means more to me than any snapshot.

However, as can be seen, results from a phone are patchy at best, and time consuming to achieve, which is why I am experimenting with the dedicated cam. I strongly suspect that I am going to get hacked off with the low resolution, but let's see.

ETA. I've worked out how  to summarise it now: 360 is about recording being there, as opposed to recording something you can see from there.

I use Google Cardboard camera for the "Being There" shots.  It has the added benefit of hilarity as my Mum grapples with the concept of VR Goggles and not quite getting that she isn't actually there.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
In't that just a stereo image, though?