Author Topic: Le Grand Depart from Leeds  (Read 13384 times)

Re: Le Grand Depart from Leeds
« Reply #50 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:55:40 pm »
Wonder what they are doing about the bollards.

In Harrogate they have removed quite a lot of street furniture, especially on the sprint finish of stage 1.
  i.e the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill near the exhibition centre.
The last half mile  has been resurfaced as well.

« Reply #51 on: 03 July, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
Will walk down into Otley, have a play about on the funfair, watch the big telly, try to see some of it. Then ride over to Harrogate, and try and see a bit more.

Will ride over to Addingham on Sunday. More about the atmosphere for me. Will watch telly later. Otley should be a good laugh. Be interesting seeing them try to get through the crossroads in Otley at speed. Wonder what they are doing about the bollards.

Much like that for me. See you around.  ;D

Minus the ride to Harrogate bit - bunch of folk from 't village coming to ours for a barbecue if the weather's OK. You'd be welcome if your plans change.

« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:22:14 am »
Was anybody else at the Leeds Arena for the launch and team presentations?
I have to say it was a great evening of sport and Yorkshireness, one of the best nights out that I have had for ages. It was only slightly  spoiled by a pair of knowitall motormouths who never stopped talking for 2 hours and never applauded any team or any of the speakers or performers.
As my daughter said ,they could have gone to the pub and saved themselves the cost of the ticket.
As I may never see the Tour so close to home again in my lifetime, I consider it money well spent.

« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:46:17 am »

Posted by: madcow Today at 12:22:14 AM

I watched it on Eurosport and I thought it was excellent, even if I wasn't totally convinced by Mr Froome's explanation of Wiggo's absence to Greg Lomond.
Just hoping that the weather will keep fine for the weekend to show Yorkshire at its best.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:47:43 am »

Posted by: madcow Today at 12:22:14 AM

I watched it on Eurosport and I thought it was excellent, even if I wasn't totally convinced by Mr Froome's explanation of Wiggo's absence to Greg Lomond.
Just hoping that the weather will keep fine for the weekend to show Yorkshire at its best.

Might be a little damp:

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Leeds/hour_by_hour.html
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:08:21 am »
I do so hope you're wrong Doormat, but increasingly the weather forecasts are getting more and more accurate. I wouldn't blame any chap cycling tomorrow to be taking the course gingerly. Impacting a dry stone wall at speed will, I imagine, mean you're out the race, watching the rest of it from a hospital bed.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

tiermat

« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:17:21 am »
I do so hope you're wrong Doormat, but increasingly the weather forecasts are getting more and more accurate. I wouldn't blame any chap cycling tomorrow to be taking the course gingerly. Impacting a dry stone wall at speed will, I imagine, mean you're out the race, watching the rest of it from a hospital bed.

Please, if you are going hack my Nom de gueere about, try the germlish translation, that being Animal Mat :)

On the second thing, I am sure Mr Boardman will have memories of doing the same, in the same race, but over in Ireland!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:37:04 am »
Our local weatherman who has his own weather stations across the Dales posted this last night:

"Saturday the best day of the weekend. Early rain then plenty of sunshine and the odd shower. Cool and breezy. More in the way of showers on Sunday. Not bad for Le Tour Yorkshire on Saturday then."

« Reply #58 on: 04 July, 2014, 10:08:42 am »
Perhaps we should review our plans. I could set up the projector in the living room, and I could do some intervals on the turbo trainer to provide some atmosphere. Guests could hand me up a musette as the peloton passes through the feeds.

« Reply #59 on: 04 July, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
I thought you would be used to a bit of rain, with living in Lancashire. Get thissen owert border and into some proper countryside .

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:00:49 am »
Looks like the pdm clan and hangers on will be going to watch stage 2 in the Dark Peak on the downhill after Côte de Midhopestones. There is a nice little 25% downhill hairpin. The riders will either be going very slowly or not be going anywhere at all! There is a nice adjacent field to picnic in too.
We are looking forward to melting carbon rims, smoking brake blocks and grimaces!
May be loading the tandem up with chairs, umbrellas and sundry consumables ;)

« Reply #61 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:04:16 am »
It won't be raining when the peloton passes through Masham, but it will until midday, so I've got to entertain my companion in the rain until then. There's way too much expectation bound up to an event with numerous imponderables, and I've been delegated to plan for such contingencies. I'd just as soon sit at home with my feet up, but she's a Yorkshire lass, with a flag for her bike and everything.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Masham/hour_by_hour.html

« Reply #62 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:05:46 pm »
I'd just as soon sit at home with my feet up
We'll probably be doing just that until the race arrives, but then our house is 0.1 miles away from the race route.  :D

« Reply #63 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:34:00 pm »

Posted by: Exit Stage Left: Today at 11:04:16 AM
 I'd just as soon sit at home with my feet up, but she's a Yorkshire lass, with a flag for her bike and everything

Don't be such an old Lancastrian misery, come to God's own county and enjoy the ambiance.    When the roads are open again take Heather to Betty's café in Harrogate and treat her to a Yorkshire Cream tea.

PS>   Don't forget your cheque book.

« Reply #64 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:47:58 pm »
I'm joining Tiermat at a sunny roadside near Ripon.

I've remembered to charge the batteries on the tranny radio but haven't found anyone who is broadcasting a live commentary on the radio yet before 3pm (which is when Radio 5 Live appear to think that the race starts). In France I've always parked myself at the side of the road near some German campavan with a satellite dish and large screen TV and peered over shoulders. Otherwise there has never been any difficulty finding a radio station to tune into (even if it is usually french). Somehow, I don't think the campavan approach will work this year. Does anyone know of any station broadcasting radio live for the entire day?

« Reply #65 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
On the official site there is a list of broadcasters (down at the bottom). They look to be all television (and nearly all forrin).

I'm hoping to join you at Ripon somehow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #66 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »
[quote author=Rainmaker link=topic=81199.msg1708523#msg1708523
Don't be such an old Lancastrian misery, come to God's own county and enjoy the ambiance.    When the roads are open again take Heather to Betty's café in Harrogate and treat her to a Yorkshire Cream tea.

PS>   Don't forget your cheque book.
[/quote]

I know enough about Yorkshire to realise that no self-respecting Tyke will spend more than 99p for a cup of tea. We're still in mourning for Dunnies in Otley.
We Lancastrians are slowly colonising the posher bits of Yorkshire through the Trojan Horse that is Booths, having infiltrated Cheshire and Cumbria.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #67 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »
We Lancastrians are slowly colonising the posher bits of Yorkshire through the Trojan Horse that is Booths, having infiltrated Cheshire and Cumbria.

Oh aye, we know all about them and their Greek equine loyalty card.  One of these days, I'm gonna wander into Booths in Kendal for my free coffee and Grauniad and be walloped by a black-pudding-wielding shopworker, to their battle cry of "ECKY THUMP!"

tiermat

« Reply #68 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »
On the official site there is a list of broadcasters (down at the bottom). They look to be all television (and nearly all forrin).

I'm hoping to join you at Ripon somehow.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #69 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »
yup , we got a Booths in Ripon. So far ,they have lasted longer than M+S did.

For radio, I can only suggest Radio York (103.7 or 104.3), but I  guess they will be doing local stuff rather than a commentary on the race.
I would expect them at least to give some pointers e.g the peloton/caravan  is now at Grassington or just starting up Buttertubs, but you never know.

« Reply #70 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:02:13 pm »

Oh aye, we know all about them and their Greek equine loyalty card.  One of these days, I'm gonna wander into Booths in Kendal for my free coffee and Grauniad and be walloped by a black-pudding-wielding shopworker, to their battle cry of "ECKY THUMP!"

But it will be artisan Black Pudding made the way it was 50 years ago. They do a vegetarain version as well of course. Booths is for those who find Waitrose a bit coarse.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17255796

« Reply #71 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »
Riding stage 1 - quite entertaining...

Cycling Stage 1 of the Tour de France in Yorkshire
Duration: 04:53
BeSpoke presenter OJ Borg attempts the Yorkshire-hosted first leg of the Tour de France 2014 to see how hard a professional road race route actually is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021x61k
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #72 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »
Skipton is definitely buzzing. Away from the town centre, kiddies are running up and down the steep back streets shrieking excitedly and pretending to be on bikes. Pails of water and wooden stools are being used to baggsy car parking spots. The atmosphere is making the dog nervous. She keeps letting out squeaky barks and looking worried.

Woolly should be on his way home from the bike shop soon with a Bizzie Lizzies fish supper.  :D

« Reply #73 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:49:36 pm »
Heather's sister Hilary heads up compliance at the Skipton Building Society, and she's regaled us with the chaos that's descended upon the Craven Capital. She lives in Keighley, where we'll be headed on Sunday. There's a bit of kerfuffle over the bunting there apparently. We can stroll down the hill on Sunday to see the passage of the tour. Apparently the only way to get to Howarth on Sunday is by steam train under the Td'F lockdown.

« Reply #74 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »
I haven't noticed much in the way of chaos in Craven, I have to say. But I certainly don't rate the local councils and think More Could Have Been Done with the event (though I am hoping to be proved wrong tomorrow). Ilkley, for example, seems to have done a stellar job of organising and publicising their hub. Here is the Ilkley hub website. Compare and contrast with Skipton's.