Author Topic: Just got my CPAP machine  (Read 2713 times)

Just got my CPAP machine
« on: 19 January, 2009, 06:59:36 pm »
Been to the hospital this afternoon for fitting of a mask and to get my CPAP machine to help with my sleep apnea. Apparently this could be the start of a new life for me. We shall see how it goes I have high hopes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

annie

Re: Just got my CPAP machine
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2009, 07:02:06 pm »
May your sleep apnoea be a thing of the past.

I wish you all the very best.  You will get used to it, persevere.  Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
Thanks Annie. I hops it works as it will make such a difference to have more energy. I cant even be arsed to cycle at the moment. The mask wasn't as big a problem as I thought it would be even though I have to have an over the mouth one as I am a mouth breather due to a badly screwed up nose. Mrs Pcolbeck is hoping it cuts out the snoring too :)

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »
I believe that these things take some getting used to and not everyone gets on with them.
It should at least give you some better sleep, even if not a good nights sleep. If it helps you sleep a bit better and hopefully for longer, you will feel much better.
I remember how much it affected me when I worked rotating shifts and having my sleep messed up, so I have sympathy.
Good luck and I hope it works for you. :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »
Am I the only one who read that as 'CRAP machine'?

Oh.

OK, then.  Never mind.

Hope you get your problems sorted, mate.  Or at least improve your sleep.

Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2009, 09:06:10 pm »

Worse than that, I always thought of it as Continuous Raised Airways Pressure (sorry pcolbeck!)

Hope it improves your quality of sleep and life!

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2009, 09:33:03 pm »

Nope.

And going to bed in a mask........... isn't that veering towards the kinky ?  ;)

Hope it works for you.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
Makes me sound like Darth Vader, now if I can just persuade Mrs Pcolbeck to get that Princess Leia costume ...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »
That's imaginary sci-fi incest, you know.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2009, 09:33:58 am »
Well that was odd. Had a fight with the mask as I couldn't get it to seal properly at first (the machine tells you how good the  seal is, you need 3 out of 5 for it to work properly). I definitely feel more rested today, not full of energy but definitely better than yesterday. Lets see if two days makes it even better.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 20 January, 2009, 09:36:09 am »
Oh good news.  I feared your first night with it might be even more disturbed than ever because of discomfort.

I hope this resolves your problems.  Feeling tired all the time is horrible.
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #11 on: 20 January, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Give it time, it will get better and better.  Your spirit will be uplifted, you will have more energy and feel like cycling and doing other stuff.

« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2009, 11:45:28 pm »
Well that was odd. Had a fight with the mask as I couldn't get it to seal properly at first (the machine tells you how good the  seal is, you need 3 out of 5 for it to work properly). I definitely feel more rested today, not full of energy but definitely better than yesterday. Lets see if two days makes it even better.

Roughly speaking, you need  one hour of sleep for every two hours you are awake (That's based on you needing 8 hours sleep a night) you have hormones which remember how much sleep you have had and they are pretty accurate too.
So to make up for all those hours of sleep you haven't had as well as all those hours awake when you could have been asleep, it will take a long time to catch up.
What can happen, when you've paid off a lot of your sleep debt and you feel more awake, is that getting to sleep may become more difficult. Our brains are more wired for being awake than asleep. You feel bad because you are in servere need of sleep. You'll also be well conditioned to having a high sleep debt and will be less sensitive to the effects.
You might well come to a stage when you feel that your CPAP machine is a hindrance to your sleep, because as you pay off your sleep debt, you could start to become a lighter sleeper and more aware of your CPAP machine whe you are rying to sleep.
If that happens, then I think that you should perservere with the CPAP and try and get used to it.
At the moment, I think that you are so zonked out and in need of sleep that any discomfrt caused by the mask is vastly outweighed by your need for sleep. So it should at the very least, give you some relief and make you feel better.