Author Topic: The other UK tubing manufacturer  (Read 1413 times)

The other UK tubing manufacturer
« on: 29 October, 2023, 02:53:32 pm »
Accles & Pollock tubes were often regarded as superior to Reynolds 531.

The firm has a complicated history.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Accles_and_Pollock

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The other UK tubing manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2023, 03:10:20 pm »
I have a pre-WW2 clubman frame that is far too light for 531 and is probably A&P Kromo.

I think TI killed off the bicycle tubes line to avoid competing with the Reynolds brand although, as we now know, chromoly had more potential than mang-moly.  To be fair, chromoly only really came into its own when decent welded frames took over in the MTB boom.  Americans had always welded, not brazed, high volume bike frames, but MTBs showed it could be done nicely.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2023, 04:24:39 pm »
I have a 1948 Percy Stallard 'Montlhery' frame made with Accles & Pollock 'SAQ' Kromo. It's the most beautiful ride and the most bendy thing ever. When I first built it up I went flying down the Llanberis Pass (before they finally resurfaced it about 5 years ago) with confidence I never knew was possible. Until I thought about how old this thin tubing was and how rough those stone walls looked either side. Gradually slowed it down after Pont Cromlech as didn't want the steerer tube snapping either. Climbing back up was good too.

'48 'Montlhéry' 16/12/13

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2023, 10:51:59 pm »
The world's first all metal aircraft in 1910!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2023, 07:50:00 am »
I have a 1948 Percy Stallard 'Montlhery' frame made with Accles & Pollock 'SAQ' Kromo. It's the most beautiful ride and the most bendy thing ever. When I first built it up I went flying down the Llanberis Pass (before they finally resurfaced it about 5 years ago) with confidence I never knew was possible. Until I thought about how old this thin tubing was and how rough those stone walls looked either side. Gradually slowed it down after Pont Cromlech as didn't want the steerer tube snapping either. Climbing back up was good too.

'48 'Montlhéry' 16/12/13

Look at the slope of that seat tube!
Very nice build
<i>Marmite slave</i>