Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81700 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #150 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »
Only 3 games in Division 3 survived the weather. One was Southend's, at home to Walsall.

Sadly for the bleeders, those three games, in alphabetical order, yielded the results 0 - 1, 0 - 2 and 0 - 3.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #151 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »
Another spectacular defeat today, at the hands of Plymouth. 4 - 0.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #152 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:05:53 pm »
To my great surprise, my train yesterday - the 7.10am rom Southend Central to Fenchurch Street - was very crowded with SUFC supporters. They were on their way to darkest Lancasher-fa-la-la for a match against Blackburn Rovers. Lord knows how much these guys must have blown on rail and ground tickets, not to mention "beer" (nasty USAnian lager was being quaffed). They seemed quite cheerful. I don't know what they would have been like on the return journey. Blackburn won 1 - 0.

« Reply #153 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:46:09 pm »
That's a good result against Blackburn.

« Reply #154 on: 22 July, 2018, 12:15:49 am »
Southend are playing against Leeds United tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #155 on: 22 July, 2018, 10:50:09 am »
Haven't you got that the wrong way round?

« Reply #156 on: 31 July, 2018, 11:56:16 pm »
1-1 draw so it could be any way round.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #157 on: 04 August, 2018, 06:54:16 pm »
A game of two halves for Southend today. 0 - 0 at half time, 3 - 0 down after 70 minutes, came back for a less ignominious 3 - 2.

« Reply #158 on: 04 August, 2018, 09:44:16 pm »
The season is only a day old and Rochdale are already undefeated!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #159 on: 04 August, 2018, 11:28:53 pm »
Fish 1 - 4 Vegans
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #160 on: 05 August, 2018, 01:33:36 am »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #161 on: 23 March, 2019, 12:40:18 am »
I've been neglecting Southend for a while and they have clearly suffered as a result of my inattention. They are now only one place above the relegation zone, and that's as a result pf goal difference. Yet still the crooked management are pushing ahead for a 26,000* seat out-of-town stadium and to sell the existing site so that yet another supermarket can be built.

*Southend's typical home crowd is a great deal less than this and their existing 12,000 seat stadium is easily big enough for them. That 26,000 figure seems to be changeable, but that was what was proposed the last time I looked.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #162 on: 06 April, 2019, 06:25:38 pm »
Southend managed a draw at Fleetwood this afternoon, a good result for them. However, only goal difference has them out of the relegation zone, so life is far from comfortable for them.

I have just noticed that 3 points cover 7 out of the 8 teams at the bottom of the League 1 table. There was a curious vagary of the fixture list this afternoon as none of the teams in the bottom half managed to win a game, and only one of the teams in the top half lost one.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #163 on: 13 April, 2019, 05:02:47 pm »
A 2 - 0 loss at home to lowly Wycombe Wandererererers this afternoon. Southend are now deep in the relegation zone. They haven't been in League Division IV for quite some time.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #164 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:18:52 pm »
And an away draw at Walsall, a result that didn't do either side any good, since Southend are 22nd and Walsall are 23rd. Only 3 games to go now.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #165 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:31:10 pm »
A win v Burton Albion. Southend are now one point out of the relegation zone. The tension is morbid.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #166 on: 28 April, 2019, 05:34:18 pm »
With one match to play, Southend are poised. They are on 47 points, outside the bottom 4 on goal difference only. It's squeaky bum time for them though as two out of the three teams below them can overtake them next week if they lose at home to Sunderland. Sunderland themselves have been coasting lately: they are assured of a place in the playoffs, cannot break into the top 2, and their last 5 games have been DLWDD.

Indeed, Southend really need to win as Plymouth and Scunthorpe play one another next weekend. The winner of that match will overtake, and therefore relegate, Southend, and if it's drawn, Plymouth, currently below Southend on goal difference, will overtake them. The other team who might overtake Southend are Walsall, away to fellow strugglers Shrewsbury. Walsall won 3 - 0 yesterday.

I don't know if this will have any implications for the totally ludicrous planning application which is still ongoing for SUFC to build an out-of-town stadium about twice the size of their existing ground, when they very rarely get a capacity crowd (12000) in any case.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #167 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:09:46 pm »
These end of season permutations are quite stressful, and my experience of being in charge of your own destiny hasn’t been good! Here’s hoping Sunderland don’t care enough.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #168 on: 28 April, 2019, 09:18:30 pm »
These end of season permutations are quite stressful, and my experience of being in charge of your own destiny hasn’t been good! Here’s hoping Sunderland don’t care enough.

I'm not unduly bothered, tbh. I can't support a team that hasn't a pot to piss in and is entirely at the whim of an inordinately wealthy businessman with dubious moral standards (that probably applies to most British teams). Given that the ground is less than a quarter of a mile from my house and we live on the route that the fans take from the nearest station, I take an interest - a keen interest. My reference to the ridiculous planning application for a bigger stadium about a mile away from the nearest houses is what makes me want them to stay in lower divisions. No-one has suggested building a new stadium on their existing site - very close to two stations and local housing where many of the fans live, and who would have about 2 miles of walking to do to get to the new (proposed) site. The old stadium is pretty shitty, and if football teams were in the hands of their supporters I would definitely be a supporter. But they are not, and I am not.

But that particular permutation of possible outcomes is very interesting. I will be following next weekend, I can assure you of that, but I won't be depressed or elated with the results, whichever way they go. Funnily enough, the last (or was it second last?) time I watched them was with My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton and that was against Terry's team, Sunderland. On that occasion, SUFC were in the Championship and they outclassed Sunderland in an early season game - 3 - 1 IIRC. At the end of the season, Sunderland were champions and Southend were relegated.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #169 on: 04 May, 2019, 06:18:22 pm »
Plymouth are 2 - 0 up against Scunthorpe (both teams were below Southend at the start of today's games) so are ahead of Southend with half time looming. It seems that all League 1 matches kicked off at 5.30 today. Southend v Sunderland remains at 0 - 0.

And before I could hit the "post" button, Southend have scored and have therefore leap-frogged Plymouth again. How exciting!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #170 on: 04 May, 2019, 06:59:14 pm »
Latest:

Plymouth 2 - 2 Scunthorpe
Southend 1 - 0 Sunderland.

That give Southend an insurance policy because they can afford to draw with Sunderland as long as the other game is drawn and Walsall don't win.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #171 on: 04 May, 2019, 07:12:41 pm »
And it's "Oh bugger" time for Southend supporters.

Latest:

Plymouth 3 - 2 Scunthorpe
Southend 1 - 1 Sunderland

There can't be much longer left.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #172 on: 04 May, 2019, 07:24:18 pm »
Southend 2 - 1 Sunderland. 87 minutes...  ;D

Edit: and that's how it stayed. Southend survive in League 1 for another season. Interestingly, they overtook Wimbledon, who also survived. Wimbledon were unbeaten in their last 5 matches.

Re:Non-Premier League Football
« Reply #173 on: 05 May, 2019, 09:18:59 am »
Bury have been promoted to League One*  :thumbsup: (despite a blip in their end of season form and the
off-field goings on).

*..and will be playing Southend United next season.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #174 on: 06 May, 2019, 10:04:50 am »
More than 10,000 people went to Roots Hall to watch Saturday's match. That's close to the numbers they get when they are doing really well. I'm glad the fans were rewarded firstly with an exciting match and secondly, the win they needed to stay up. My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton, a lifelong Sunderland supporter and an ancien of the 1973 FA Cup Final, texted me straight after the game to say that Southend were worthy winners. Terry does little these days other than sit in front of a computer or a television watching sport, so he must somehow have found a channel that was live-streaming the match. I'm so old-fashioned that I struggle to get my head around the idea that anyone would bother to do that for such a lowly event.