Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Knowledge / Re: Apostophy?
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:59:22 am »
I live in a road that requires an apostrophe . . .  I've given up with my address online - and the street signs are without.

Must speak to Lynne Truss about this . . . .
GPS / Re: Etrex 32x slow map display?
« Last post by Ian H on Today at 11:44:39 am »
I have found that my preferred purple track becomes more or less visible against brown roads depending on whether I view the screen through the top or bottom of my varifocals. Looking through the bottom (close focus) and the purple fades out. Looking through the top (distance but my handlebars now out of focus) and the purple is quite distinct. It is a progressive shift, not a step change. I think I might be able solve that particular problem with a different colour scheme.

I created a typ file to fade the map colours so the track stands out better.  It's fiddly but seems to stick for subsequent updates.  https://www.openfietsmap.nl/tips-tricks/customize
I wonder if moving the maps to an SD card might free up memory and improve speed.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:43:10 am »
We Built This Village On A Trad. Arr. Tune ~ Half Man Half Biscuit

Ma-ma-maroon is the colour of my true love's hair, obv.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 11:35:37 am »
I reckon Kent are pleased they are playing in Old Trafford rather than Canterbury because the latter is going to be Very Wet this afternoon, according to those writers of fiction at the Met Office.
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 11:28:50 am »
Paragraph 2 makes my blood boil: if you're a programmer and you can't make your interface to the database work properly taking account of characters that have special meanings to your system, then you simply shouldn't be in your job. Changing the data to make your job easier is never the right answer.

Exactly what I said to my wife when I read this story! I have limited experience of coding databases in MySQL but even I know this. Even if it were genuinely necessary for the database, why should it require changing the street signs themselves? Absolutely nuts.

I don’t really care about the apostrophes but I do care about the lazy and idiotic programming.

They can quite happily be stored in databases.  It’s just poor coding practice if they cause problems for them. If you want to do an SQL injection attack, sounds like their systems are the ones to attack. That’s essentially what the council is advertising.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by perpetual dan on Today at 11:24:39 am »
(Yesterday) removed all the touring extras from my bike. It suddenly feels very light again!
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 11:12:37 am »
I thought it was SOP not to use them on street names. It's quite unusual to see them.  You also get into debates about whether it should be All Saints Road or All Saints' Road, and whether some long-dead person was called Richard or Richards.
« Last post by HTFB on Today at 11:10:10 am »
Paragraph 2 makes my blood boil: if you're a programmer and you can't make your interface to the database work properly taking account of characters that have special meanings to your system, then you simply shouldn't be in your job. Changing the data to make your job easier is never the right answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/05/north-yorkshires-dropped-apostrophe-for-street-signs-upsets-residents
That's not https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/05/north-yorkshire%27s-dropped-apostrophe-for-street-signs-upsets-residents, now, is it?

It struck me on Saturday that the proper collective noun for greengrocer's apostrophes is a congerie's.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 10:59:46 am »
Those are Yorkshire apostrophes: bigger, brighter, bluffer and better than standard apostrophes.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by Efrogwr on Today at 10:58:08 am »
Total nonsense. 2 examples. Library provision in lowland Scotland, all built by empire returnees.
Cotton printing industry in Lancashire built on cheap imported cotton.

Your second point; the cotton was cheap because it was grown by slaves. The export market was greatly expedited by the destruction of local industries in the stolen countries. In particular, weaving in Bengal.
Exactly.
Beardy, not so sure about the cotton industry in Lancashire/Derbyshire. I understood it was local workers some of whom may well have been pushed off their land but still local.  Happy to be corrected if you have a reference. I grew up in Lancashire/ Derbyshire and my father ran several cotton printing mills.

The main point though is that all of this is clearly available information.

chrisbainbridge is correct about displaced rural people becoming urban factory fodder, but that was mostly in the18th/19th centuries. The Enclosures were one of the causes of displacement.
Beardy's point really applies to the posr WW2 period.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10