Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3896124 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23925 on: 10 September, 2020, 04:42:17 pm »
Yesterday, 140k, turning point being Lutzelbourg, a pleasant village on the Rhine-Marne canal in Lorraine.  Alas, the wind was whistling out of the west, dead against me for 30-odd k along the canal and all the cafés had succumbed to the Covid, so I had to live on the stuff in my HB bag for most of the trek home. Finally got into a patisserie at ~115k.

Very slow. Had to work hard against the wind, particularly in the 10k of valley before Lutzelbourg, and really needed the wind behind me to get home. Neck & shoulders hurting like hell, too, despite paracetamol: the muscle I lost there during lockdown doesn't seem inclined to redevelop. Apparently that happens past 70.

Seen: the usual storks, ducks, anglers, herons, buzzards and 2½ lizards. And my friend MJ's mural on a wall near Saverne:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23926 on: 10 September, 2020, 05:42:55 pm »
Did a double Clee Hill climb on a 60km ride; 1250m.  Abdon Burf (Brown Clee) and Titterstone Clee, hauling up a total bike (14kg) + me weight of about 92kg.  Abdon Burf is a bit of a killer, 25% in places straight up the steep bit - I stopped a few times, just to take photos of course.  ;)   Had a chat to another cyclist up there, he'd also done Bwlch - y - Groes this week, and thought Abdon was tougher.

Bent Lane, Abdon Burf incline (former cable wagons)

IMG_20200910_AB by a oxon, on Flickr

Titterstone Clee.
IMG_20200910_TC by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23927 on: 11 September, 2020, 07:35:43 am »
We did the 30 mile "Keith Floyd" route last night.  Stopped for 15 minutes at the end of the Fairford runway to watch two B52s land.  Also saw a U2 going in to land when we were near Lechlade.

Apparently it's refuelling exercises and stuff; no-one's getting Arclighted.  Unless Boris has persuaded Trump to flatten Brussels.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23928 on: 11 September, 2020, 05:34:47 pm »
I made a unilateral decision that it was too nice to work this afternoon and took a half day. I probably should have checked with my boss but eeeeh. I'm sure I've done enough hours recently and I knew nothing urgent would come in so I just shut the computer down and rolled out after lunch.

30 miles in the sunshine and managed to hold a moving pace of 13.7mph. The overall pace was a little slower because I packed a beer along in the saddlebag and sat watching the sea for a bit.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23929 on: 13 September, 2020, 11:44:57 am »
Went out yesterday afternoon. Yeay! Stopped at Tortworth but the strange days got stranger as they were out.of.caek. This never happens! Except yesterday, obviously, hence yesterday was never and I must be Jodie Whittaker (you can't ride a bike with Tom Baker's scarf). Then a bit of poking around the Damery and Huntingford area, before taking Station Road in Charfield, past the remains of sidings, the road became a track became a trail. Lifted my bike over two stiles; gates are easy, just over and down then climb after, but stiles you don't have the room to do that. You have to climb up then lift the bike after you – if you lift the bike up first, the projection stops you getting up the stile. But enough "cyclesplaining". Came to a house where man was tinkering in a shed, he said go through the gate and along the road then take the first left through Devil's Hollow if I don't mind a steep hill and a rough road. I was expecting an unrideable stony track but no, it was a proper road albeit in bad repair and steep but nothing to challenge the magic of the granny ring.

Headed back through Iron Acton, a bit hungry but yeay again! There's a chip shop in Frampton Cotterell. The chips were not, objectively, good, but they got me home. While I was sat on the grass outside the village, a red car came past. Window goes down, woman calls out "Are you alright?" "Yes, just eating my chips." "Oh, I was worried you'd fallen off." Interesting ways people's minds work.

All this in new minimalist marginally lighter mode. Slammed stem removed a 5mm spacer, still 30mm, and instead of the mega saddlebag, a small pack under the saddle for tube and tools, with a small bar bag. So sporty! still an slow, unfit rider on a heavy steel bike.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23930 on: 13 September, 2020, 04:38:05 pm »
Headed South to Chepstow,  over the river then turned North with the wind. A very wiggly route north to Gloucester bagging tiles so not on the obvious cycle route much.  Glorious day.  Got lost in a twisty maze of Linden Homes, all the same seeking just one more tile.
117km which is enough iirc to get me right round the loop home but due to the wiggles only got me to the city. Now on a train to Lydney.  First metric century in a very long time. Happy. I shall be stopping at the pub for brown energy drink, oh yes indeedy.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23931 on: 13 September, 2020, 08:36:25 pm »
Out to Cannock on the repaired Streetmachine to bag some ostensibly boring tiles in between previously-visited less boring ones.  Discovered some unexpected Sands Of Doom halfway round a tight bend, but managed to belatedly get a foot down in a skid that would probably have looked impressive if I'd been on a BMX or something and done it intentionally.  Alas, there wasn't an audience.

I think someone keeps moving Wolverhampton further north when I'm not looking.

« Reply #23932 on: 13 September, 2020, 10:34:16 pm »
A ride to nobby in Wolverhampton, a few rides with nobby and meeting the dwarf on one ride and he joined me in riding through Netherton tunnel and rode with me as far as Catherine de Barnes before he headed home . I have covered 309 miles since last Sunday. Probably the only long rides I will do this year
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23933 on: 13 September, 2020, 10:41:13 pm »

I have covered 309 miles since last Sunday.

Ah, it's nobby who's doing it as part of cycleman's training regime...   :D

« Reply #23934 on: 13 September, 2020, 10:43:05 pm »
Another square bagging ride. With a whole bunch of offroad. The ride I intended a week ago.

And of course, of course, I still didn't set off anywhere near when planned. "Oh I'll just quickly trim these mudguard stays..."

Anyway, got out just after midday. Didn't stop to eat till 4pm which was pushing my luck a bit but I got away with it. Alas though, I ran out of water at 55km and got home at 91! To say I was parched would be understating it!

But whilst my wrists and neck and shoulders are a bit sore and I was flagging a bit near home I still had the oomph to sprint (well as much of a sprint as I ever manage) a couple little hills and junctions near home.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23935 on: 13 September, 2020, 10:57:53 pm »
A ride to nobby in Wolverhampton, a few rides with nobby and meeting the dwarf on one ride and he joined me in riding through Netherton tunnel and rode with me as far as Catherine de Barnes before he headed home . I have covered 309 miles since last Sunday. Probably the only long rides I will do this year
I was at school with her brother and sister, Richard and Emma, never knew there was a third one.

« Reply #23936 on: 14 September, 2020, 11:54:40 am »
You learn something new every day  :). Nobby is a good trainer. He's getting a bit fast for me  :o :D

« Reply #23937 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »

I have covered 309 miles since last Sunday.

Ah, it's nobby who's doing it as part of cycleman's training regime...   :D

I'm wondering if Wolvo isn't flowing down the Northern edge of the Brummy plateau at the speed of the spilled contents of a black pudding bucket.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23938 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:40:50 pm »
You learn something new every day  :). Nobby is a good trainer. He's getting a bit fast for me  :o :D
Only because you were conserving battery power like you were paying by the minute!  ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23939 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:05:52 pm »
I went out bag a couple of tiles on the downs, but left a bit late then bumped into a friend I haven’t seen for a while so stopped to chat, and Miss Dan the Elder messaged to update on her first day at university so I paused to reply, So, the tiles will have to wait - but I did still have a nice ride. I need lower pressures for the loose surface on Plumpton Bostal though.

« Reply #23940 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:35:11 pm »
Visit (yesterday) to the Cambridge Dutch roundabout and tour of what they are doing by the Cambridge Cycle campaigners.

« Reply #23941 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:00:29 pm »
A spur of the moment break from wall-building, 42.25 km on a flat route (73m) York to Barlby and back.  Made the mistake of using the Sustrans Solar System track.  Ruined by shallow tree roots crossing and giving a nasty, bumpy ride.  I left it at Riccall vowing never again..

Completed the ride on main roads and on the stage into Naburn spotted a cyclist in the distance I was determined to catch but could only close the gap slowly - turned out to be a tandem..

Got back into York via Fulford and home across the Millennium Bridge where there were crowds out in force. Ride time 1hr46mins, avg speed, despite tree roots and crowds, 23.7km/h.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23942 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:06:44 pm »
Made the mistake of using the Sustrans Solar System track.  Ruined by shallow tree roots crossing and giving a nasty, bumpy ride.  I left it at Riccall vowing never again..

It's deteriorated markedly in recent years.  It used to be just that rutted section before you get to the Sun and a few stray roots among the outer planets, but it's become quite unpleasant on anything not built for off-roading.   :(

« Reply #23943 on: 15 September, 2020, 04:59:26 pm »
A Zwift day today.  Climbing Fox Hill and Keith Hill (Box Hill and Leith Hill presumably).   It was interesting to compare the real world versus Zwift.

Yesterday, outdoors, I averaged 23.7 km/h, with some tricky conditions but generally a flat route, 73m over 42.25km. 1hr 46 mins.
Today I managed 25.8 km/h on an unimpeded hilly route, 499m over 16.8km, taking 39 minutes dead.  I took full advantage of the Fox Hill descent, getting up to 75 km/h.

Conclusion is that Zwift is pretty good at reflecting my real world performance other than the crowds and tree roots.  A more powerful fan/cooler garage would be good.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23944 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:18:02 pm »
A short ride to Windsor for a breakfast at the garden centre with bjorn notp .we then went to bjorn s home to fix a broken gear shifter before cycling out to maidenhead via brAY . Bjorn s gear cable snapped so back to bjorn s home to fit a new cable and   change his pedals from flat to clipin one's . On my way back home I stopped to talk to a pair cyclists who had ridden to Windsor from London. They  may appear on the forum 😀. About 18 pottering miles  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23945 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:25:32 pm »
They  may appear on the forum 😀.
Wot, more of them? !!1!!?! You running a one-man recruitment drive? !!?!1!!?

« Reply #23946 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:42:24 pm »
Sunday, we went for a quick up and down loop in the South Downs. Met a chap wheeling his bike the other way.

Me:  "Do you need a hand ?"
Him: "No thanks, my rear mech has failed."
I check bike and sure enough, the rear mech and chain are missing.
Him:  "And that was my spare."   !!

Anyhow, he only had about another 10 minutes walking and then a glorious down hill to get him home.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23947 on: 16 September, 2020, 07:59:12 am »
They  may appear on the forum 😀.
Wot, more of them? !!1!!?! You running a one-man recruitment drive? !!?!1!!?
Yes  ;D

« Reply #23948 on: 17 September, 2020, 05:59:23 pm »
I went out for an 1.5 hours this morning with a friend. 530m in 27km, including a gnarly little lane out of Ewden Village called Bankside, around 10% for at least 1km.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23949 on: 19 September, 2020, 05:49:07 pm »
Did the gravel road from Plantation Hill to Cottington's Hill today, with a socking great tailwind to push me up.  Fun!  Then looped back south of Basingstoke to take more gravel roads through Five Lanes End on my road bike pretending I was on Strade Bianche.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)